Strong Finger

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2019, 16:10

I assume this applies to the middle finger on both hands, right?

I haven't noticed this effect, but I don't touch type properly anyway. My hands fly around in the "hovering style" above the keyboard, instead of resting on home row like you're supposed to. My own rules for which fingers hit what keys are more complex than I myself understand! It's not elegant, but it works and plenty fast enough for me.

My guess is what you're really feeling is leverage. That finger is the longest of the bunch.

Edit:
sarahschreiber wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:38
The finger right next to my pinky is ridiculously strong compared to my other fingers.
Oh, wait, I completely misread your description. You're talking about your ring finger? Well, that is weird! I use mine less in typing because they are inherently less dextrous, and indeed shorter, than the index and middle fingers. They are very far from being my strongest fingers in any sense!

vometia
irritant

29 Sep 2019, 13:59

I barely use that finger on my right hand at all and often find it just politely stays out of the way for much of the time. Though while I've been typing this I've been noticing what it is doing which is using the backspace key and other stuff in the vicinity. I think on my left hand it sees more use, but that's probably in common with the way I use my hands in other things like e.g. bass playing, where my fretting hand (my left one) sees all its fingers being used equally whereas my playing hand just uses the index and forefinger, with my thumb and sometimes little finger to position it and the ring finger not really having a job.

Starwolf

09 Nov 2019, 22:33

Muirium wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:10
Oh, wait, I completely misread your description. You're talking about your ring finger? Well, that is weird! I use mine less in typing because they are inherently less dextrous, and indeed shorter, than the index and middle fingers. They are very far from being my strongest fingers in any sense!
Not sure about "shorter". My ring fingers are longer than my index fingers. As for "They are very far from being my strongest fingers in any sense" -- totally agree! Every guitarist knows how weak ring fingers are

vometia
irritant

17 Nov 2019, 08:14

Starwolf wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 22:33
Not sure about "shorter". My ring fingers are longer than my index fingers.
Apparently this is often (but not always) a male/female thing; so in my case my ring-fingers are a little shorter than my pointing fingers (well they look the same length but measuring them from the centre of the "crease" gives those figures). It's one of those slightly contentious subjects that some people to claim is no better than phrenology, but it seems it is attributed to the amount of testosterone during a stage of development or... something. But the trouble is that there're actually overlapping ranges of ratios, so individually it may or may not be at all significant.

Also "pah" at your guitar and its excessive number of strings! :p

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2019, 16:15

I’ve heard the finger ratio / in utero testosterone claim, too. No idea if it’s scientifically sourced. For what it’s worth, my fingers are bang on equal length, and I don’t know anyone (well enough to scrutinise their hands…) with the lengths reversed. Doesn’t seem to bear any significance in my anecdata.

Anyways, evidently we scared off the OP. Instead, the thread now reads as me opining to myself, and stumbling on the fact I misunderstood my own question. Sounds about my usual!

vometia
irritant

17 Nov 2019, 16:25

Oh, that's slightly odd. About the OP I mean: don't get me wrong, it's fun scaring people off, but I feel guilty about it afterwards.

davkol

26 Nov 2019, 11:47

I fairly sure that OP was yet another instance of link spam.

Anyway: Digit ratio

Return to “Off-topic”