IBM Model F, M, and HHKB

vometia
irritant

19 Nov 2019, 14:20

Muirium wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:04
Vometia is always banging on about how she loathes ANSI.
That's because it's horrid.

Wazrach

19 Nov 2019, 15:06

I might be one of the very few people who doesn't care about what layout I'm usin. :P It's kind of fun training your brain to get used to certain things.

vometia
irritant

19 Nov 2019, 15:40

Wazrach wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 15:06
I might be one of the very few people who doesn't care about what layout I'm usin. :P It's kind of fun training your brain to get used to certain things.
I think I'm a bit tetchy at the moment because I'm doing just that: my right hand is still finding itself one-key-to-the-right on my Vortex Race because I'm so used to the TKL PS/2 layout. It's also taking me an age to adjust to the control key being in its "correct" location, i.e. to the left of the A, in spite of that being what I was used to for many years.

I dunno. When my brain does adapt the auto-pilot thing is wonderful. But it takes so long! And as mentioned previously, even when the ANSI-style return key is "just how it's done", I never got used to it. I mean going back to the days of my Dragon 32 and the school's BBC Micros and Commode PETs.

Fkazim

19 Nov 2019, 16:03

vometia wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 14:20
Muirium wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:04
Vometia is always banging on about how she loathes ANSI.
That's because it's horrid.
Totally agreed

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2019, 16:21

Yeah, making left Shift easy to hit is such a thoughtless nightmare. It should be all tucked away and small like \beelzebub intended\1

That’s my main complaint about ISO. That Shift key is the last sensible thing to cut down in size. Go cram in the extra key somewhere else!

Fkazim

19 Nov 2019, 16:44

Well if you are going to look at it like that then here's a question why make one of the most used keys smaller such as the Enter key? and then make backslash bigger than 1U even though it is a less used key then enter? just so it can fill the gap near the enter?

These are just my opinions again i don't mean to annoy anyone. I guess there are good and bad changes on both layouts at the end of the day.

swampangel

19 Nov 2019, 17:05

Muirium wrote:
That’s my main complaint about ISO. That Shift key is the last sensible thing to cut down in size. Go cram in the extra key somewhere else!
I had occasion to use an ISO model M for a bit and I was surprised how little difficulty I had adjusting. But I definitely missed that shift a few times while playing games.

vometia
irritant

19 Nov 2019, 18:05

Muirium wrote:
It should be all tucked away and small like \beelzebub intended\1
I admit that did actually cause a RL lol.

Re video games, it's left-ctrl that I have excessive difficulty with. Maybe it's the tucking-my-thumb-under-my-hand thing but in e.g. my recent venture into The Outer Worlds ("it's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice!") I had to rebind it as C. As I often do. I was still kinda rubbish though: I had a nice sniper rifle but even with a silencer on it (yeah, I know that doesn't work IRL) the intended casualties had an annoying habit of charging me. Bastards.

adhoc

19 Nov 2019, 21:54

Sounds like you need a HHKB to me...

Return to “Keyboards”