[IC] Compatibility kits for vintage Wyse keycaps (Moogle kit 2020)

autoload -Uz

25 Oct 2019, 18:25

This is a compatibility kit for Comptec DCS keycaps from vintage Wyse keyboards. It will be produced by Signature Plastics in their modern DCS profile.

New kits and pricing!

Please fill out the new survey form! My apologies to anyone who filled out the old form, this one is much simpler.

Note that the ISO Enter legend is a bit weird in KLE. Here is what it will look like:

The Shift and Menu icons will be standard SP legends, as shown here:

Price targets
  • PCE kit: under $40
  • ASCII kit: under $20
  • Future kit: under $20
  • Anachronism kit: under $15
  • Euro kit: under $15
GB start date: early 2020, hopefully March.

The PCE kit is sufficient for using keycaps from keyboards with the "PC Enhanced" (aka "PCE") layout. The ASCII kit provides additional compatibility for "ASCII" layout keyboards such as from the WY60 and WY30 terminals. The Future kit is for additional compatibility with various modern keyboard layouts.

Note that ASCII-layout keycaps tend to be in worse condition than others. They also have non-standard modifier legends in the top-left position. Signature Plastics DCS legends are positioned center-left. I will do my best to color-match across Wyse variants, but brand-new ABS will never match the appearance of well-worn and sun-yellowed ABS.

Colors
wiki/File:WYSE_SP_colors_001.jpg
  • Dark gray: GTD
  • Light gray: GSX
  • Blue legends: BBI
  • Yellow legends: YY
There is a similar interest check by Luffy on Kbdlab. We are combining our projects, so he will be the Korean proxy for this kit.

If you're interested in helping with this project, please PM me here or contact me on Discord at [tt]salt rock lamp#0679[/tt].

You can also follow the Geekhack thread for more timely updates.
Last edited by autoload -Uz on 21 Feb 2020, 19:25, edited 5 times in total.

zrrion

25 Oct 2019, 19:39

I am very much interested in this. Would it be outside of the slope of this project to get an ESC and enter keys that are yellow on grey, like an inverse of the yellow arrow keys?

autoload -Uz

25 Oct 2019, 22:48

zrrion wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 19:39
I am very much interested in this. Would it be outside of the slope of this project to get an ESC and enter keys that are yellow on grey, like an inverse of the yellow arrow keys?
That's a nice idea, especially for 60% users who don't get to use the sweet yellow arrow keys. It's not out of scope, but it would have to be a separate kit.

autoload -Uz

26 Oct 2019, 06:01

Whoever you are,

I understand your frustration. They are beautiful keyboards and I personally wish more of them were left as-is.

However, the "vints" train left the station long ago. Wasting my time removing fake IC submissions does nothing to prevent people from stripping Wyse keyboards of their switches.

I am specifically running this in order to help preserve the keycaps on these boards. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of these keysets just sitting around in bags and boxes, with the original keyboards long since "harvested" and discarded for meme switches. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is at least give them a chance to be used and enjoyed.

That said, if you would in fact like to purchase 8 kits for $100 each, I would be much obliged.

autoload -Uz

31 Oct 2019, 02:28

Project update: trying to work out a different kit design that could make things significantly cheaper. Specifically I am going to try and splitting up the kits so that the most popular keys will be available at a lower price. I've reached out to SP for a new round of quotes and I will update if there is any good news.

autoload -Uz

06 Nov 2019, 21:03

New kits and new pricing released! Possible Korean collab in the works. Fill out the new survey form (please no vandalism this time!) to show your support.

autoload -Uz

20 Nov 2019, 15:25

derzemel

20 Nov 2019, 15:34

very interested too. I have a pristine ISO UK WYSE waiting for a compatibility kit for it to change it to ANSI and modern layouts since 2015

autoload -Uz

02 Dec 2019, 16:26

derzemel wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 15:34
very interested too. I have a pristine ISO UK WYSE waiting for a compatibility kit for it to change it to ANSI and modern layouts since 2015
Great! There have been a lot of updates in the Geekhack thread that I recommend you take a look at, as well as a Reddit thread. Also please do fill out the IC form if you haven't already!

autoload -Uz

21 Feb 2020, 19:18

Big updates!

Exact pricing is coming very soon for all kits.

Kit and legend design has been modified slightly. I am still looking for feedback on the diamond/star/winkey and menu/fn/menu-icon legends.

Return to “Group buys”