Wash springs & flippers in IBM Model F XT?

Waxwood

11 Nov 2019, 18:02

Hi
I've dissembled my XT board and plan to wash the springs, flippers and barrels before reassembling with new foam.

The barrels are already soaking in soapy water.

But should I wash the springs and flippers? Is this safe? Will the spring rust? Should I avoid this?
Any recommendations?

kmnov2017

11 Nov 2019, 18:08

No water for the springs or flippers. Springs need to be washed in IPA if necessary. Flippers should just be dry wiped, or use compressed air.

Waxwood

12 Nov 2019, 05:08

I found the barrels are really very dirty. The degraded foam stuck onto the barrels with great tenacity. I've soaked them and scrubbed them with a toothbrush, but they still need need more cleaning.

I'm guessing the springs are also quite dirty. If I soak the flippers and springs in regular isopropanol rubbing alcohol, will that create problems?

kmnov2017

12 Nov 2019, 23:11

Springs may be washed in IPA. The flippers have a conductive coating on them, I don't know how IPA would react on the material. Best leave it as is.

Sangdrax

13 Nov 2019, 19:12

kmnov2017 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 23:11
The flippers have a conductive coating on them
Aren't they just carbon doped plastic all the way through? I could have sworn it was still black when I saw a busted one in my old blue switch.

Darkshado

13 Nov 2019, 23:38

I've washed flippers in IPA with no ill effect.

Waxwood

16 Nov 2019, 20:30

I will try washing the flippers in isopropanol alcohol.
The barrels were extremely dirty and needed three rounds of cleaning to remove the accumulated dirt.

Does anyone know if the flippers are coated with conductive material, or if they are made of a solid conductive plastic that won't rub off?

Before I reassemble the keyboard, I think I'm going to spray the barrels, flippers and springs with a silicone lubricant that is safe for plastics. Based on the recommendations in this article (https://www.machinedesign.com/mechanica ... ore-part-2), it seems it might be a good idea to lubricate all moving parts.
Any suggestions?

Wazrach

16 Nov 2019, 22:00

Waxwood wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 20:30
I will try washing the flippers in isopropanol alcohol.
The barrels were extremely dirty and needed three rounds of cleaning to remove the accumulated dirt.

Does anyone know if the flippers are coated with conductive material, or if they are made of a solid conductive plastic that won't rub off?

Before I reassemble the keyboard, I think I'm going to spray the barrels, flippers and springs with a silicone lubricant that is safe for plastics. Based on the recommendations in this article (https://www.machinedesign.com/mechanica ... ore-part-2), it seems it might be a good idea to lubricate all moving parts.
Any suggestions?
It's a conductive plastic, I'm fairly certain. I wouldn't spray the flippers. I would recommend lubricating the springs and perhaps applying some to the key stems. You don't want to use too much as it will affect the key feel. It may also gunk up the switches with dirt and dust over time. It's probably best to use something that won't interfere with capacitance, although I really don't know much about that.

In my experience with Unicomp keycaps on Model F springs, it seems the scratchiness comes from the keycap rubbing against the spring.

Waxwood

26 Nov 2019, 20:25

I used teflon spray lubricant on the barrels and on the flippers as well. Hopefully that won't cause a problem. I imagine that will take care of any possibility of friction and wear.

I cleaned the springs in a chelation rust-removal solution which transformed them from dull grey to shining metal. I then sprayed them with silicone lubricant. They'll remain rust free for a long time now.

Darkshado

27 Nov 2019, 04:23

Wazrach wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 22:00
In my experience with Unicomp keycaps on Model F springs, it seems the scratchiness comes from the keycap rubbing against the spring.
If the scratchiness is caused by flashing the solution is to remove the excess material.

Return to “Keyboards”