Alps handwire I did a few years back

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

05 May 2019, 02:54

I haven't taken any pictures in a while and today got the itch. I've already photographed nearly all of my boards. I really had to think to find one that I haven't covered yet.

This is an Alps SKCM orange handwire that I built a few years ago. I believe it was the second board I ever built (first was a Zealios / ePBT number).

I have this hooked up to a little all-in-one raspberry pi + lcd display thing that I use pretty much exclusively to compile TMK/QMK. So it doesn't get a crazy amount of use.

Some day I would like to rewire it. I feel like my soldering has improved enough that I could do a proper job this time. I'd also like to do something to more firmly secure the switches to the plate. As it is right now, some come free when you pull the caps and that can't exactly be good for the joints.

Other than that, it's a really cool build IMO. It even has a steal backplate!

Please don't as why I did the arrow keys this way. I don't know what I was thinking and I need to rework that part as well.

mcmaxmcmc

05 May 2019, 03:09

Nice! Where did you manage to get that plate by the way? (I know it's been a couple years since you built it) Damn, those caps are gorgeous.

depletedvespene

05 May 2019, 03:42

snacksthecat wrote:
I have this hooked up to a little all-in-one raspberry pi + lcd display thing that I use pretty much exclusively to compile TMK/QMK. So it doesn't get a crazy amount of use.
Could you tell us a bit about this compiler set-up? Perhaps even shoot a couple pictures, so we can get a good idea of how's it handle?

depletedvespene

05 May 2019, 03:57

snacksthecat wrote:
Other than that, it's a really cool build IMO. It even has a steal backplate!

Indeed, it is pretty cool, but I find it striking that's essentially a 75% with a missing column. Perhaps, when you rework this keyboard, you could try to get a 1.75U Shift key and put in the lower right corner the arrow keys in a "sideways L" configuration (in the same fashion as old M0110A keyboards); that could solve the issue without requiring a major rebuild, to add that one column.

YMMV; WDIKAA; HAND.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 May 2019, 22:41

It's a really great board, but has a few flaws that really bug me:
  • The layout of the arrow keys makes no sense. I mean, there's two up arrows (?!?!). The keycaps also do not match the rest of the set.
  • The screws I used were originally too long and I didn't want to wait for new ones in the mail. So I used the long screws and cut them with a bolt cutter. This left them very sharp and still too long. You can see this in the photos.
  • Ideally should have been made with a PCB. Because (a) I'm bad a handwiring and (b) holds the switches in place better.
  • I was too lazy to make the cable removable. So what I did was attach a USB extension cable, which just hangs out the back (pretty lame)
  • The feet are hotglued on (forgot to get holes cut)
I'd like to go back and fix these things but who knows if that ever happens. It seems like once I hit a certain point in a project, I completely lose interest and search for something new to do (see post history for lots of examples).

Maybe I'll open it up and take some photos of the inside. If I remember correctly, the wiring is pretty wild :P I admire people who do nice handwire jobs.
depletedvespene wrote:
05 May 2019, 03:57
Perhaps, when you rework this keyboard, you could try to get a 1.75U Shift key and put in the lower right corner the arrow keys in a "sideways L" configuration (in the same fashion as old M0110A keyboards); that could solve the issue without requiring a major rebuild, to add that one column.
Not a bad suggestion. I considered the "L" at the time but thought it would drive me nuts. In reality, this configuration drives me bonkers. Maybe the "L" is actually a good compromise.

DaOver

05 Dec 2019, 04:16

From what keyboard are these keycaps?
They are beautiful.

ZedTheMan

05 Dec 2019, 05:02

Huh, you did good work even then! As you have said, you can do better now.

I was wondering, where you were able to find those wonderful caps?

Return to “Gallery”