029 Keyboards on eBay...and possibly an apology...

MightyFrame

22 Dec 2019, 10:23

Well, last week I saw these keyboards on eBay, as part of the full dumb terminal (CRT), also being sold on eBay in separate auctions by the same seller.

Keyboards
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163988752674
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163988754107

Terminals/CRTs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163988738502
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163988747573

Well, I immediately noticed that nobody, except for me, took any bidding interest in the CRT/terminals, but the keyboards seemed to have immediate bidding activity...even the one with the missing keys!

Now, I'm not surprised, because learning about the passions of the keyboard experts and aficionados here, I immediately thought that someone who saw the beauty, art, and quality in these keyboards, took an immediate interest to them. (and yes, the keyboards most likely are the same magnetic reed KeyTronic type just like I posted about a few months back viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21996 )

Well, I'm here both to report, and to apologize for, my selfishness to have and desire to pay the extra money to outbid all bidders, and be certain that these keyboards stayed with their CRT/Terminals. You see, I really wanted to be certain that I would be able to assure myself, and all the world's vintage computer fans, that they would be restored to their (mostly) original functioning glory, connected to their original terminal/CRT units, and then further connected to their originally intended host system. And, I've realized, that I may be one of only two people in the world restoring Entrex/Nixdorf 620 systems that they are from http://Entrex480.com ...and I'm helping the other guy get his running!...but I digress.

Anyway, I post this here not to brag or to boast, but rather to offer a very backwards yet quite sincere apology of sorts. I had a strong feeling that one or more members of this group, might be some of the individuals that I outbid for this.

So, for what it's worth, I'm sorry, truly. I only hope that it's some comfort to offer the knowledge and the assurance that I, the very person who outbid you, will indeed preserve these keyboards back to full functioning status, and keep them matched with their original terminals, which will in turn keep those matched with their original, obscure, nearly extinct host Nixdorf 620 system.

AND, I plan to share these with all interested at future VCF shows around the US (and possibly world) as these projects progress...perhaps I'll see some of you there when that time comes?

Anyway, I hope this rambling of mine has found (or helped create) a somewhat humorous mood in the midst of this holiday season.

Best always, everyone...
AJ

Muirium
µ

22 Dec 2019, 13:02

You’re fighting the good fight. Can’t see any problem with that. (Though I was not bidding!)

Personally, I’m not into retrocomputing like this at all. Vintage boards appeal most to me for modern use. But I see the value in it, and the pain when things are split up, never to meet again. You did right.

JP!

22 Dec 2019, 13:35

I shared the eBay listings here and didn't even realize there were matching screens. Glad to see these find a new home.

AJM

22 Dec 2019, 13:46

Well done, AJ!

I would be very interested to see the results of your restoration. It would be great, if you could post a few pictures here, when you're done.

AJ.....M (not related ;) )

purdobol

22 Dec 2019, 14:46

So... when can we expect new "fridge magnets" project? :lol:

On more serious note. Nice find, hope that at least one of those CRTs is in good working condition.
They do look cute.

MightyFrame

22 Dec 2019, 22:08

Everyone, thanks for the encouragement here, I really appreciate it! Yes, I will most certainly keep you all posted on the restoration and historical research progress here, with pictures and video. I plan on documenting it on my website that I hyperlink above, and I'll make some posts here to refer over to that content as soon as I have it available.

It will be a few months...I'm moving my lab starting Jan 3, and won't get it set up until Feb-March, unfortunately...but hopefully by then, I'll be back in full swing, and be right on top of the restoration of these!

And no, purdobol, while that gave me a chuckle (along with a recurrence of the queezy feeling in my stomach it gives all of us to see ultra-rare and high-quality keyboards painfully dismembered), I can assure you...there shall be NO refrigerator magnets in these keyboard's future...and half seriously, the thought of that possibly happening to these keyboards (by someone NOT a member of this forum, of course) is one of the things that really drove me to make certain I saved them!

Best to everyone, and thanks again!
AJ

Chyros

23 Dec 2019, 00:46

Thought about going for them, but it looks like they're going to a good home :) .

However, I'd be VERY surprised if the keyboards in those pictures are Key Tronic. They look more like Cortron/ITW switches to me.

MightyFrame

25 Dec 2019, 10:41

Chyros wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 00:46
Thought about going for them, but it looks like they're going to a good home :) .

However, I'd be VERY surprised if the keyboards in those pictures are Key Tronic. They look more like Cortron/ITW switches to me.
And that is why I value this forum...the expanse of knowledge and experience here is phenomenal. I would never have any clue one way or the other without your input, so thank you.

I shall report as soon as I can, what these keyboards actually are with a video review as soon as I can disassemble them. I'm shooting for February with this, and I shall keep you posted.

Return to “Keyboards”