Topre Realforce RGB switch top rattle fix!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Jan 2020, 23:20

The clear sliders on this board are a rattling mess. A paper shim solves this. The laser cut piece is just a giant paper shim.

It was a decent amount of work. Drawing the template for the shim took about half a day. I started with an 87-key plate, substituted Cherry cutouts for these custom Topre cutouts, and had to add holes for standoffs and stabilizers. It's about 10 minutes of laser time but I can cut two at a time.

Of course to even do it you need to pull the key caps, PCB, sliders, springs, domes, and switch tops off the plate - about 1.5 hours - and then put it all back together - about 2 hours.

While I was here I installed some kbdfans silencing rings, that added 1-2 hours.

If someone else has a Topre Realforce RGB 87 key and wants to attempt the mod let me know. It's tedious but ends up being a game changer for this rattling mess of a keyboard.

SneakyRobb
THINK

05 Jan 2020, 01:15

That is inventive and impressive. Good job.

Every board should have a layer of foam/paper like this to reduce rattles.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Jan 2020, 02:21

SneakyRobb wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 01:15
Every board should have a layer of foam/paper like this to reduce rattles.
Foam or an extremely thin silicone mat would be better. I really hope I never spill a beverage in this board...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Jan 2020, 02:43

Someone was asking for the file I used. I use a laser cutter with a 32 by 18 inch bed and I cut this on 90 lb laser cardstock. This PDF is the file that I open in Corel Draw and send to my laser cutter.
Attachments
topre-shim-32-18.pdf
(13.36 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Return to “Workshop”