Goodbye

abrahamstechnology

09 Jan 2020, 00:30

Last edited by abrahamstechnology on 10 Jan 2020, 04:42, edited 3 times in total.

andrewjoy

09 Jan 2020, 10:23

I would say you need to try to get some physical prototypes first (3d printed would be not ideal but should be fine to show the concept). People always respond better to a thing they can see rather than a promise to make something. Don't make the video too flashy , it just looks like your getting sold something thats fake.

This will be a big project tho it will take a huge amount of time and work to pull off and will cost more than you think.

Also consider making green and browns too.

Good luck man !

Findecanor

09 Jan 2020, 11:21

Not only that. Kickstarter requires a working prototype before starting your campaign.

abrahamstechnology

09 Jan 2020, 13:24

Findecanor wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 11:21
Not only that. Kickstarter requires a working prototype before starting your campaign.
How am I supposed to mold them before the molds are made? Resin 3D printing perhaps?
Anyone prototyped switches before?

zrrion

09 Jan 2020, 17:16

I don't know how to make the product, please pay me
Not going to happen.

You don't know how to design switches and your GB for alps clones wasn't ran very well. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to think that you are capable of doing this successfully. Maybe if you had a prototype or had designed switches before, but when you don't know basic stuff like how to make a prototype that makes it pretty clear that you can't make new blue alps.

abrahamstechnology

09 Jan 2020, 17:46

zrrion wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 17:16
You don't know how to design switches and your GB for alps clones wasn't ran very well. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to think that you are capable of doing this successfully. Maybe if you had a prototype or had designed switches before, but when you don't know basic stuff like how to make a prototype that makes it pretty clear that you can't make new blue alps.
I'm not designing I'm doing a 1:1 copy. Also don't get angry that an amateur is attempting this because you all had years to remake Alps but didn't bother doing it You all drool over Alps but don't realize they are a dead switch and will be all completely gone if not remade and fast. It was already near impossible to get a SAMPLE of new old stock Blue ALPS. I'm getting this done no matter what, and the people I'm tasking it with know what they are doing.

And yes, I already was considering how to make a functional prototype for Kickstarter using resin printing or similar but wanted more suggestions, but if everyone is going to act toxic and elitist I'm not going to bother asking for help.

zrrion

09 Jan 2020, 18:05

Putting it differently: This thread is about kickstarter, not about how to make a prototype. Start by asking for help with a proto and not by asking about the best way to get money. Money is not step one and the fact that you've jumped to this step before getting a prototype made is not a good first impression. If you started the thread w/ a video of a loose prototype switch and then asked about funding that would be a different story.

E3E

09 Jan 2020, 18:37

This is an exercise in biting off more than you can chew. Small steps first. Not giant leaps after a lukewarm GB. yiff

You're not very reasonable, and you're clearly very proud of yourself to the point of being unable to handle realistic concerns and criticism. It's not toxicity, and you're projecting your own elitism.

I'm fine with the vintage Alps I already have, thanks though.

Myoth

09 Jan 2020, 19:15

abrahamstechnology wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 17:46
You all drool over Alps but don't realize they are a dead switch and will be all completely gone
THE GREAT END OF Alps IS NEAR ! DON'T COMPLAIN ONCE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND THEM ANYMORE, I TOLD YOU THEY WOULD DISAPPEAR FOREVER. I MADE DECISIONS TO TRY TO REVIVE THEM BUT NOOOO YOU HAD TO NOT LISTEN TO ME and jack it to anthropomorphic animals. THE DAWN OF Alps IS COMING, LISTEN TO ME YOU FOOLS !

For real, dude, take a deep breath, and think about how people are living with them being dead for almost 30 years. Fine. People are doing fine, sure prices might rise, but I am sure that it will not take another few decades until they "will be completely gone". Your project, while being noble, is unreasonable for an amateur to handle, despite "you all had years to remake Alps but didn't bother doing it". And even if we did bother, which manufacturer, is going to make a 30 year old keyswitch for a reasonable price ? I'm sure any respectable manufacturer would quote you more than what they are worth at the moment, on the market. So why bother doing it ? ;)

purdobol

09 Jan 2020, 20:34

Maybe something along the lines of "modifying" matias switches would be easier to do. Instead of building whole switch from the ground up.
Long switchplates (do they fit matias housing?) and click leafs for a starter.
Then the top housing with slits...
Bit by bit :)

swampangel

09 Jan 2020, 21:40

purdobol wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 20:34
Maybe something along the lines of "modifying" matias switches would be easier to do. Instead of building whole switch from the ground up.
Long switchplates (do they fit matias housing?) and click leafs for a starter.
Then the top housing with slits...
Bit by bit :)
SKCM switchplates definitely don't fit in (most?) simplified housings, because the simplified housings have extra plastic ribs to guide the 2 contact leaf parts into place.

wiki/File:Alps.tw_Type_BB1_--_Alps_white_simplified.jpg
wiki/File:Matias_click_switch_--_disass ... m_view.jpg

I agree that new complicated switchplates would be a smart place to start.

abrahamstechnology

09 Jan 2020, 21:51

The reason I want to make complete switches is because I want to potentially get OEMs on board.
@myoth Very gross and immature of you.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 03:04

I think I'll switch to Indiegogo since it seems more suited to this type of project, more flexible funding and no initial prototype needed.

It's still months off before that part of the project. Right now were actually exploring what plastics to use, what's the general consensus on old Alps switch composition? Is it all nylon? I'm thinking of switching the slider only to POM since it is smoother.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

10 Jan 2020, 03:38

Having a severe lack of knowledge for what you actually want to reproduce is a red flag for me.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 03:48

dogmantime wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 03:28
Please actually listen to the others in this thread, your priorities are all out of wack. Why are you discussing funding when you aren't even aware of the slider material? (It is POM, as with most sliders) If the people you're "tasking it with know what they are doing" surely they would know this. Why does this "backend" you refer to involve you registering as a business and completing tax forms as paramount, aren't you just intending on making a commission request with a manufacturing company?

There are many other questions here you haven't even considered the answers for, it seems. I don't think many would be interested in funding your pipe dream as is, nor should they be. Your whole deal smacks of Kickstarter Idea Kid who is yet to recognise the many slaps reality is sending his way.
I've already done all that.

Polecat

10 Jan 2020, 03:49

It's been a while since I got burned on your group buy, but not long enough apparently. You need to put your NOS sample away somewhere safe and do about twenty years of growing up, then come back and talk to the nice folks here. I'll be dead or senile, but there will be new members and younger ones than me who have forgotten and might be interested in your switches, if anyone is still using a desktop computer by then.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 03:51

//gainsborough wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 03:38
Having a severe lack of knowledge for what you actually want to reproduce is a red flag for me.
I literally bought Blue Alps just for this project.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

10 Jan 2020, 04:01

Okay. I mean, I have a car, but I couldn't tell you the first thing I would need to build one.

Myoth

10 Jan 2020, 04:07

You are somehow missing every single constructive point being made in this thread. It's honestly gasp-inducing, I don't know how you do it.

Not only do you miss points, but you are so ahead of your own self. You're asking questions about a switch you're unfamiliar with. Let me repeat it just for you : you're trying to make a keyswitch, thousands of miles away from any manufacturing, you never had in your hand. Do you even realise how ridiculous that is ?

And what's even scarier is how you're handling the funding, you're choosing a site over an other because you're not allowed to have any proof of concept upfront ? That's outright scamming practices.

abrahamstechnology

No one that built OG Alps is alive/can be found anymore. The best thing to do is copy the work they left behind.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 04:21

Myoth wrote:
And what's even scarier is how you're handling the funding, you're choosing a site over an other because you're not allowed to have any proof of concept upfront ? That's outright scamming practices.
Proof of concepts already exist. They are the remaining Alps. A prototype isn't needed since it already exists.
And no, funding is required in order to make a prototype. Since the mould is required anyway it might as well happen in one go.

This site has gotten very toxic over the past year. I have done nothing but try to help this community which is fading into obscurity but people are very elitist. I don't want to come across as mean but if you really don't trust me that much, don't participate.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 04:27

dogmantime wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 04:16
No one that built OG Alps is alive/can be found anymore. The best thing to do is copy the work they left behind.
Wait a minute... but I thought newly manufactured AK-CN2 switches™ were just as good? If not better? A savvy, steadfast user on this very forum tried to bring them to us unwashed masses just last year, what was that hero's name again I can't seem to remember
That is my own opinion of them (tactility wise at least), and they are not an exact copy of Alps at all. I clearly linked wiki pages of them so people knew what they were getting.

ZedTheMan

10 Jan 2020, 04:32

Hey man. I don't think now is the time, or that you will be the vessel that makes this possible. Sorry.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 04:36

It's kind of my fault, I say too much and people think I'm mean or have ill intent. I'll probably hand this project to someone else or put it on hold for a while.

Polecat

10 Jan 2020, 04:38

That is my own opinion of them (tactility wise at least), and they are not an exact copy of Alps at all. I clearly linked wiki pages of them so people knew what they were getting.
...or not getting, as the case may be. Funny you didn't have enough switches to fill the orders, but you had enough to stuff into several keyboards to sell on ebay. Trust you say?

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 04:42

Polecat wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 04:38

...or not getting, as the case may be. Funny you didn't have enough switches to fill the orders, but you had enough to stuff into several keyboards to sell on ebay. Trust you say?
I refunded you and offered to refund you in the past. Also I didn't have the 110 you asked for, only 70 or so.

I think I'm just going to delete my account now.

Myoth

10 Jan 2020, 04:48

10 Jan 2020, 04:21
Myoth wrote:
Proof of concepts already exist. They are the remaining Alps. A prototype isn't needed since it already exists.
And no, funding is required in order to make a prototype. Since the mould is required anyway it might as well happen in one go.

This site has gotten very toxic over the past year. I have done nothing but try to help this community which is fading into obscurity but people are very elitist. I don't want to come across as mean but if you really don't trust me that much, don't participate.
A proof of concept does not exist as you will not use the same molds, same very, you might create the perfect copy, but it will not be the same thing, at all.

The way you make it sound is scary, you want to gamble $20k of someone else's money. That's a LOT of money for nothing proven.

The community is not fading into obscurity or whatever, you need to question yourself, people here are definitely trying to help you, if not we'd probably be insulting you, not replying to this thread with constructive criticism. The site has not been more toxic over the past year, you've just been too blockheaded to realise your own mistakes, I swear to god that if you happen to listen to the people here, you'll have a wonderful time in this community. Your choice.

E3E

10 Jan 2020, 04:49

Okay, goodbye.

abrahamstechnology

10 Jan 2020, 04:52

Your right, it's my fault. I'm just going to leave for now, I'd be better working on my own anyways.

Polecat

10 Jan 2020, 04:55

I refunded you and offered to refund you in the past. Also I didn't have the 110 you asked for, only 70 or so.

You did NOT refund me, nor offer me a set of switches to replace the ones you supposedly sent, but had no tracking number for. Do I need to check your completed items on ebay to see how many you sold installed in keyboards after mine were supposedly lost in shipping? Egad, what a joke!

Return to “Workshop”