Deskthority Secret Santa 2019 Photo Thread

Compgeke

24 Dec 2019, 21:40

Okay, I'm a bit late on everything this year but here's the thread! The gifts should start clearing customs and all that good stuff soon!

ZedTheMan

24 Dec 2019, 22:28

Awesome! How are we on gift senders?

AdrianMan

31 Dec 2019, 10:42

My awesome gift from Santa has just arrived !

I'll return with updates shortly :)

AdrianMan

31 Dec 2019, 17:05

Okay so here it goes :D

I rushed to get the gift from the post office today before it closed again for a few days and let me wondering what surprises Santa had for me this year.

Got the box back in the house, nice and cozy. It's pretty big, so I was already excited that a full keyboard may fit there !
Spoiler:
My Santa is a generous and rich guy, so I am sure he didn't even stutter when he got the shipping quote for the nice present !
(making a better world for kids anywhere, even across the ocean in a 3'rd world country, because he's a b0$$)
Spoiler:
So let's get to it:

Bam ! A full keyboard with switches I never tried before:
Spoiler:
Focus 2001 with Alps clicky white switches and a smokey acrylic cover :shock:
ImageImage
Pow ! A Texas Instruments TI-99/4A keyboard replacement module :
Spoiler:
And a hardcore detachable cable straight out of Mad Max movies on top Image
Ugh ! A bad ass coiled cable:
Spoiler:
{Excitement phrase} ! A few old school switches :
Spoiler:
Futaba ? Cherry M9, ML? Box yellowImage
{thickk ones} ! A cool vintage typewriter keycap set:
Spoiler:
Santa even left a cool note for me, written with his brother's typewriter because he doesn't want you guys to recognize his writing so he went full Jigsaw
(Brother Citation manual typewriter - I did a brother joke because I consider myself funny)
Spoiler:
First of all, thank you Santa for all the awesome stuff, they kept me lurking all afternoon for info and history !

I was impressed by the Focus 2001 clickyness, as I normally hate clicky switches and only tried (and disliked) Black Alps from a Dell AT keyboard, but these are loud and fun, and somewhat smooth !

The TI-99/4A keyboard left me dazzled with that schematics and funky mechanism and straight up sent me into the super Hackerman mood:
Spoiler:
Feel wise - interesting and definitely better than Cherry ML

That cable detachable cable beats the regular aviator detachable cable design and just looks like a baws.

The typewriter keycaps are a lesson for all the future sets out there, as we like them thiccc ... (Susuwatari :? early 2020 or the robot baws guy will fly to China to see it done !)

Thanks all for reading and thanks Santa !

Darkshado

03 Jan 2020, 07:45

I was finally able to get mine after letting it sit at the post office for almost two weeks. (It's a long story: picked the delivery notification card after the office had closed for the day but had to leave town very early before it opened the next day - turns out Canada Post gives you a final notice a day before returning or abandoning a tracked shipment.)

On a related note: I also was finally able to ship out my package due to a missing phone number for the customs forms and the aforementioned travel commitments. (Sorry.)

So without further ado, here's what greeted me after opening a large padded envelope that came all the way from Bucarest:
Spoiler:
EnjoyPBT Green
EnjoyPBT Green
2020-01-02 18.06.04.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 7838 times
Refrigerator magnet, printed on wood, Romanian countryside picnic
Refrigerator magnet, printed on wood, Romanian countryside picnic
2020-01-02 18.07.56.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 7838 times
Caps installed on my Wooting One, with some adjustments to physically cover for ISO layout
Caps installed on my Wooting One, with some adjustments to physically cover for ISO layout
2020-01-02 19.58.47.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 7838 times
The caps are quite thick and sound a bassier than the thin laser-ablated ABS that came with the Wooting, thanks!
Happy New Year!

Darkshado

andrewjoy

06 Jan 2020, 15:25

I received a big series switch as well as all the kit to get it up and running ! It is pretty awesome !

Lots of snacks too , the butter ones where nice and some looked home made , they where awesome ! The others where too!
IMG_20191229_182351.jpg
IMG_20191229_182351.jpg (342.07 KiB) Viewed 7776 times

AdrianMan

06 Jan 2020, 22:14

andrewjoy wrote:
I received a big series switch as well as all the kit to get it up and running ! It is pretty awesome !

Lots of snacks too , the butter ones where nice and some looked home made , they where awesome ! The others where too!

IMG_20191229_182351.jpg

Hey I think your this year's Santa was my last year's Santa :)) I recognise the cookies pattern & brand as they were yummy !

zrrion

07 Jan 2020, 01:50

Got my package today! The person who delivered it was a little confused on the name, since Santa addressed it to my handle and not my actual name lol.

Got a nice letter from Santa.

The letter from Santa mentioned some things that weren't keyboards, lets get tho those first:
Spoiler:
A converted Microspeed trackball. I have a bag of pool balls somewhere just for this sort of thing.

Some candy. They don't sell this sort of thing around here, which is a shame because I like them.
And the thing I typed this post on:
Spoiler:
A das keyboard with quite a surprise under the keys.

Instead of the (I think) browns it could come with it has some nice box pinks. I wonder how Santa knew I liked these switches. :D

We must have similar ideas about keyboards because the board I was using is a WYSE PCE with pinks swapped in.

Thank you very much for the lovely gifts.

andrewjoy

07 Jan 2020, 10:14

AdrianMan wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 22:14
andrewjoy wrote:

IMG_20191229_182351.jpg

Hey I think your this year's Santa was my last year's Santa :)) I recognise the cookies pattern & brand as they were yummy !
They where, the only one that was not for me was the marzipan, but that is because i dont like marzipan :) I am sure they are tasty and high quality if you do :D

Nuum

20 Jan 2020, 11:58

I'm 99% sure this is my Secret Santa present! It arrived early last week.

Around 70 Blue Alps switches. I'll take the dust on them as excuse to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner! ;) Thanks Santa!
IMG_20200120_115714.jpg
IMG_20200120_115714.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 7495 times

andrewjoy

20 Jan 2020, 12:24

Nuum wrote:
I'll take the dust on them as excuse to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner!
Don't ultrasonic them unless you have to. Always dust out alps with compressed air first and see how they are then before you go down the cleaning rabbit hole. There is some secret sauce dry lube on older alps that you will lose if you wash them.

ZedTheMan

20 Jan 2020, 17:24

Nuum wrote:
I'm 99% sure this is my Secret Santa present! It arrived early last week.

Around 70 Blue Alps switches. I'll take the dust on them as excuse to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner! ;) Thanks Santa!
IMG_20200120_115714.jpg
Seconding the recommendation to not ultrasonic them. From the testing of a friend who tried many lubes, every time you ultrasonic clean or use isopropyl and strip the lube, it is worse than simply cleaning or adding lube after cleaning.

Nuum

20 Jan 2020, 19:22

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I'll clean them by hand then!

andrewjoy

21 Jan 2020, 09:35

Nuum wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 19:22
Ok, thanks for the heads up, I'll clean them by hand then!
Just dust them out with a compressor or a can of compressed air first. Put em back together and see how they feel. If they are then smooth you can work on other things, like fixing inconsistent click or none registering keys. Any liquid or cleaning agent is a last resort on alps.

AdrianMan

28 Jan 2020, 19:41

Any updates here ?

ZedTheMan

28 Jan 2020, 20:41

None. Compgeke said he would give a reminder to the santas.
Not sure I'll do this secret Santa thing again.

andrewjoy

29 Jan 2020, 10:08

One i sent out was delivered on 7th Jan. Can provide tracking if needed .

Return to “Off-topic”