Cherry Viola switch

vvp

10 Jan 2020, 22:42

OK, I do not care that much about switches. I think the overall keyboard shape and the layout are more important but some people do care about switches a lot and this may be interesting to them:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cherr ... ard-budget

Findecanor

10 Jan 2020, 23:13

Looks like an updated Cherry MY.
Both have progressive force graphs, but this new switch's is significantly less steep.

TheInverseKey

11 Jan 2020, 00:47

Findecanor wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 23:13
Looks like an updated Cherry MY.
Both have progressive force graphs, but this new switch's is significantly less steep.
Hopefully not as shit as MY though.

ppCircle

11 Jan 2020, 00:54

https://youtu.be/Y5CzpwJdRqE
Watch this from 2:36 :lol:

sharktastica

11 Jan 2020, 01:55

ppCircle wrote:
"it is a gaming switch because it's RGB lighted"
If I install RGB LED light fixtures in my house, does it become a gaming house? What about if I paint my tarantula red, green, and blue? Gaming spider?

zrrion

11 Jan 2020, 02:06

You are right on both counts. (spiders are all gamer btw, but they are usually rocking sleeper builds)

sharktastica

11 Jan 2020, 02:13

zrrion wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 02:06
You are right on both counts. (spiders are all gamer btw, but they are usually rocking sleeper builds)
Ahh, I thought the beige box he's rocking was only for his dark web needs. Sneaky spider.

Findecanor

11 Jan 2020, 02:28

sharktastica wrote:
What about if I paint my tarantula red, green, and blue? Gaming spider?
No, it has to be lit to qualify. How small is the narrowest LED strip you can buy?

PlacaFromHell

11 Jan 2020, 04:04

sharktastica wrote:
ppCircle wrote:
If I install RGB LED light fixtures in my house, does it become a gaming house? What about if I paint my tarantula red, green, and blue? Gaming spider?
You can put christmas lights on your clothes and ask for a higher salary because you're a gaming worker. :lol:

squizzler

13 Jan 2020, 15:02

I think this is positive in that they try to reach new audiences and grow the market. This is arguably more intelligent than what Kailh et. al. are doing, which is to keep producing endless variations on the same themes. The latter may gain more street cred on DT forums but ultimately if the same sized audience is split amongst ever more products the scale of each production run will get increasingly smaller and less viable.

andrewjoy

14 Jan 2020, 10:29

Anything that stems the tide of shitty cheap rubber domes (then dont even try to make half decent domes anymore) is good in my book.

Also i think i am going to call them , cherry Acer , oooo or cherry MA :) yeh ! Cherry MA it is :D

anmq91

18 Jan 2020, 01:00

sharktastica wrote:
ppCircle wrote:
rofl :lol: you made my day dude! :mrgreen:

sharktastica

18 Jan 2020, 01:31

anmq91 wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 01:00
rofl :lol: you made my day dude! :mrgreen:
Glad to be of service! 😁

HungerMechanic

21 Jan 2020, 04:35

It's my understanding that Cherry is also updating most of the existing MX line to "MX1A" standard, which is supposed to reduce dirt and change feel somewhat:
The MX1A update includes modifications to 12 of Cherry’s MX line of switches. Essentially, the update will improve on each switch’s resistance to dust, dirt, and other particulate matter. There are also a number of minor performance tweaks to the different characteristics of each switch’s feel and responsiveness. It’s not a substantial upgrade over the older MX Cherry switches. However, if you already have a PCB designed for Cherry switches then you could drop in the MX1A switch without any issue.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cherry-vi ... -ces-2020/

Findecanor

21 Jan 2020, 05:38

I think the writer of that particular article could have got a little confused.
"MX1A" is already the first characters of every non-silenced* MX switch's product code.

*The prefix for the silenced switches is "MX3A".

HungerMechanic

21 Jan 2020, 06:18

Hmm. I guess maybe there isn't a designation yet for the updated switches?

I also saw references to the existing switch designs when I actually searched for MX1A.

Findecanor

21 Jan 2020, 08:01

From reading other news sites, it appears to me as if these tweaked designs are supposed to replace the existing switches throughout.
I wonder if the parts will remain interchangeable...

Tom's Hardware:
It also announced today that its upgraded its MX Red, Brown, Black and Speed Silver switches to guarantee 100 million presses instead of 50 million and cut bounce time from 5ms to 1ms. And this is all without an increase in price. Cherry’s still working on updating its other MX switches, but it’ll take more effort to complete since they have additional moving parts, like an extra slider for clicky switches and a rubber component for silent switches.
TechCrunch:
For the MX switches, though, the company is now raising its guarantee from 50 million keystrokes (which was already a lot) to 100 million. Some pro-gamers actually reach those numbers (and the switches usually continue to function well beyond that), but for everybody else, it’s just an assurance that the company stands behind its products. To achieve this, the team made some minor adjustments to switches and especially the guide rails on the inside of the switch housing. That won’t change the actual typing experience, though.

The first keyboards with the 100-million MX switches are already available, and the first Viola keyboards will become available soon.

Man_In_Blue

22 Jan 2020, 10:58

Cherry's marketing team has been all over the place. Am I wrong, or does this look like they are just trying to milk the life out of old tooling?

andrewjoy

22 Jan 2020, 11:52

Findecanor wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 08:01
For the MX switches, though, the company is now raising its guarantee from 50 million keystrokes (which was already a lot) to 100 million
Honeywell disagree , there hall effect switches had a MTBF of 30 billion !

treeleaf64

23 Jan 2020, 21:39

Their* :)

BitbatClicks

15 Feb 2020, 02:52

Updated cherry MY?

Yuck! If these are intended for budget boards then i'm afraid they'll feel horrible to consumers.

squizzler

15 Feb 2020, 12:30

BitbatClicks wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 02:52
Updated cherry MY?

Yuck! If these are intended for budget boards then i'm afraid they'll feel horrible to consumers.
What makes you think that? Most consumers will only ever have used generic membrane boards or touchscreens. Thats all Cherry have to beat.

Many of us who have tried to evangelise 'proper' keyboards to friends and family will be familiar of the risk of providing them with too good a key feel (as we would see it) that they run a mile rather than allow themselves to acclimatise to it.

Return to “Keyboards”