Sold - Chicony 5192 with Cherry MX Pale Blue

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 03:07

Hi,

I want to sell my fully functional Chicony 5192.

It has Dye Sub PBT keycaps and Cherry MX Pale Blue Switches.

Sold
Last edited by Easy_Spinach on 02 Feb 2020, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.

TheInverseKey

24 Jan 2020, 05:40

You are really trying to sell this eh?

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 12:24

Haha, yes I am. Im not the collector type.

Make me an offer

-Space-NATO-

24 Jan 2020, 13:48

$15,01

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 14:03

-Space-NATO- wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 13:48
$15,01
dogmantime wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 13:24
$15
uhm..no

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Jan 2020, 14:11

Easy_Spinach wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 03:07
It has Dye Sub PBT keycaps
uhm..no

Myoth

24 Jan 2020, 14:14

But people, forget about early Cherry HFD boards, this is the only keyboard that comes with these switches !! They are like the yellow Aristotle clones !! Very rare !! Very expensive !!

This post was sponsored by Reddit

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 14:30

Myoth wrote:
But people, forget about early Cherry HFD boards, this is the only keyboard that comes with these switches !! They are like the yellow Aristotle clones !! Very rare !! Very expensive !!

show me one

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Jan 2020, 14:33

Easy_Spinach wrote:
show me one
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=17261

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 14:37

Wodan wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 14:33
Easy_Spinach wrote:
show me one
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=17261
not the same color, not even close

Myoth

24 Jan 2020, 14:41

Easy_Spinach wrote:
Myoth wrote:

show me one
http://imgur.com/a/UCdAST7

Courtesy of Noobmaen

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 14:47

Alright, you win...
A code cherrys have them.

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 14:52

I still dont see how I overpriced it, considering navy blues going for 2$+

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 15:16

Never willfully spread misinformation. Its not even in the wiki...wiki/Cherry_MX_Pale_Blue
Anyway, I put it up on ebay. link in first post

SneakyRobb
THINK

24 Jan 2020, 15:53

While we may have opinions about communities like reddit, let us not try to associate everyone we disagree with, with reddit.

The OP has been corrected and seems to have tried to learn from the deskthority wiki and changed the post with the new info.

Thus while you may disagree with the price, this was a generally positive outcome. Posts like "$15" are not constructive and do not help the OP be educated as to what may be a fair market price.

Let us give the OP the honest chance to make mistakes and try to constructively correct them rather than immediately assuming they are an ignorant or evil profiteer.

TheInverseKey

24 Jan 2020, 16:20

Easy_Spinach wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 15:16
Never willfully spread misinformation. Its not even in the wiki...wiki/Cherry_MX_Pale_Blue
Anyway, I put it up on ebay. link in first post
It doesn't matter that it's not in the wiki. I have a lot of switches that are not on the wiki yet doesn't mean that they are worth a lot.

I have these switches as well doesn't mean that they are worth what you are asking.

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 17:03

TheInverseKey wrote:

It doesn't matter that it's not in the wiki. I have a lot of switches that are not on the wiki yet doesn't mean that they are worth a lot.

I have these switches as well doesn't mean that they are worth what you are asking.
A couple days ago I personally asked you what you think they are worth and you replied "no idea tbh"
Funny that you have an opinion about it now.

I cant find any ongoing or recent sales of this switch and nobody was able to give me a price estimate so I put my own price tag on them. Considering the prices for Dark Blue Mx switches on vintkeys.xyz, I would say my price is in a good range.

If there is a reason why these switches should be worth less, Im all ears and be happy to learn about it.

Myoth

24 Jan 2020, 17:14

Easy_Spinach wrote:
TheInverseKey wrote:

A couple days ago I personally asked you what you think they are worth and you replied "no idea tbh"

I cant find any ongoing or recent sales of this switch and nobody was able to give me a price estimate so I put my own price tag on them. Considering the prices for Dark Blue Mx switches on vintkeys.xyz, I would say my price is in a good range.

If there is a reason why these switches should be worth less, Im all ears and be happy to learn about it.
Unfortunately for you, this keyboard falls into a certain niche, the "rare and cool, but nobody really cares about it" niche, which is why it's hard to give a price for it. The switches on vintkeys.xyz (which is ironically owned by the guy you're talking to), are (I didn't take a look, but I assume) sold inidividually, and are probably for switch collectors, not people who actually build keyboards with. Because of this, the price is much higher than for regular switches. I know some switches are worth this much, and are for building, but almost no one ever builds keyboards with MX Blues.

now, if you want a realistic price proposition, I don't have any, and only something like an auction is going to tell you how much it's worth. but I don't think it's worth what you're asking for atm.

TheInverseKey

24 Jan 2020, 17:30

Myoth wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 17:14
Easy_Spinach wrote:
TheInverseKey wrote:

Unfortunately for you, this keyboard falls into a certain niche, the "rare and cool, but nobody really cares about it" niche, which is why it's hard to give a price for it. The switches on vintkeys.xyz (which is ironically owned by the guy you're talking to), are (I didn't take a look, but I assume) sold inidividually, and are probably for switch collectors, not people who actually build keyboards with. Because of this, the price is much higher than for regular switches. I know some switches are worth this much, and are for building, but almost no one ever builds keyboards with MX Blues.

now, if you want a realistic price proposition, I don't have any, and only something like an auction is going to tell you how much it's worth. but I don't think it's worth what you're asking for atm.
Correct, a large part of my customer base is switch collectors and willing to pay the price.

Additionally, mine have been desoldered and cleaned therefore, no more additional work is needed for a customer. The reason why I have given constructive feedback is do to the mentality of just throwing an insane number out there.

Just because I stated that I had no idea what they were worth doesn't mean not to use your own personal judgement and look at roughly what similar switches are worth. Also stating that the price of the keyboard is higher do to the caps was an interesting statement as they are not PBT but most likely a decent set of pad printed ABS keycaps.

There is a lot to take into account when listing something, also trying to build hype and not knowing that these have been found before is something that a lot of people will not take kindly too.

Easy_Spinach

24 Jan 2020, 22:48

Im not going to get into that any further,

but just to clarify for those interested in the board. The Keycaps are indeed Dye Sub PBT

ZedTheMan

24 Jan 2020, 23:03

This thread has been too harsh. I think the starting price is a bit too high, but I understand why he's setting the price where he is to start, I would have started at around 100 and see if anyone would be interested there, going down over time. It's hard to price stuff like this, unfortunately it's very niche and you'd probably do best selling just the switches to collectors individually, if you hope to get good money out of it.

Elrick

26 Jan 2020, 03:00

Easy_Spinach wrote:
but just to clarify for those interested in the board. The Keycaps are indeed Dye Sub PBT
The keyboard is nice but that foreign, NON-English styled layout - really puts the brakes on my wallet opening here.

If you have used proper US ANSI styled key-caps in English dye-sub, then we would have a purchase.

Hope anyone who's into that weird language buys this soon because it is quite rare.

E3E

26 Jan 2020, 03:08

Easy_Spinach wrote:

I find that very hard to believe. I have never seen a Chicony with dyesub PBT. How did you prove this, through a sink test or observing yellowing?

No. Acetone is the most straightforward method, and even then you could just say you've tested it. We're having to take your word for it, and frankly, I don't trust it.

I've seen no evidence that these boards ever come with dyesubs.

zrrion

26 Jan 2020, 04:04

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143512399999 starting bid on this board is honestly not too far below what a reasonable price for this board would be. Now, you prove that these are PBT and that would certainly change things

Easy_Spinach

26 Jan 2020, 16:10

E3E wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 03:08
Easy_Spinach wrote:

I find that very hard to believe. I have never seen a Chicony with dyesub PBT. How did you prove this, through a sink test or observing yellowing?

No. Acetone is the most straightforward method, and even then you could just say you've tested it. We're having to take your word for it, and frankly, I don't trust it.

I've seen no evidence that these boards ever come with dyesubs.
how do you test it with acetone?

I tested it in water and by the fact that after all these years of usage the alphas still dont have a shine and instead a rather rough surface.

/Edit: I tested it with acetone. The result is not really conclusive.
I tested 3 Keycaps,1 DSA PBT, 1 GMK ABS and the chicony one.

I added a drop of acetone to the side of each cap and waited for 30 seconds.
The DSA cap wasnt affected at all. The ABS in the GMK cap completly melted and got sticky. The chicony one was not metled but it had a visible kind of etched spot after treatment.
No idea what this means. The cap does float in water, not as good as the dsa one though.

/Edit 2: I dont know how to test for dye sub. I just go by looking at it. Pad printed should worn off, at least slightly and I have seen both pad printed and dye sub caps before and this clearly looks like dye sub. I also used the acetone and tried to scrub off the ESC from the esc key. It did not wear off.

Easy_Spinach

26 Jan 2020, 17:20

zrrion wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 04:04
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143512399999 starting bid on this board is honestly not too far below what a reasonable price for this board would be. Now, you prove that these are PBT and that would certainly change things
Alright here are 2 pictures I took.

First picture shows the keycaps after rubbing them for 20 to 30 seconds with acetone and a cotton stick.
Left GMK right Chicony.
https://imgur.com/VkrZSDR

Since it looked a bit like laser etched due to bad camera I took a second pic of the keycap with better light.
https://imgur.com/6lMAobO

..I also recorded the scrubbing on video In case someone doesnt believe.. but its like 200mb.. please dont make me upload it..lel

/Edit: I also want to add that Im fairly open to trade offers. Always wanted to own a apple standard with orange alps...but also other things

Easy_Spinach

26 Jan 2020, 22:05

I price dropped the ebay auction.

Return to “For sale”