Keyboard Photogrammetry Tutorial/Guide

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

09 Feb 2020, 04:36

Part 1 - Capture

Capture.Preface
Writing this tutorial to share what I've learned about photogrammetry so far, specifically focused on doing this with keyboards as a subject. Keyboards pose a variety of unique challenges and are certainly not easy objects to recreate with photogrammetry. I'm hoping to highlight these difficult aspects and provide some solutions for working around them.

Capture.Prerequisites
This guide provides instructions specifically for the Agisoft Metashape software. Part 1 of the guide is fairly generic so it can be useful irrespective of the software being used. Part 2, however, is focused on what to do in the tool so that guide is tied to the software. I chose Metashape because that is what I've been using the most out of all the software packages out there. I feel the Standard Edition is reasonably priced ($179 at the time of writing) but I can understand if that's more than someone is willing to spend to dabble in this stuff a little bit. Be aware there are many capable free and open source options out there, but I've found that the commercial software packages available in this space often bring novel features to the table that you don't tend to see on the free side.

This guide also assumes you're using a higher end camera. It doesn't have to be a $3,000 dollar beast, but a decent DSLR/mirrorless camera with a nice sized sensor.

Just as important as the camera is the lens you decide to use. It's best to use a prime lens, since zooming will confuse the software. However, you can use a zoom lens if you zoom all the way out (or all the way in) and tape the adjustment ring in place so it doesn't move. I have been using a 35mm lens because I feel it gives good depth of field and is wide enough to capture the full keyboard even when taking pictures up close.

Not necessarily required, but very useful, is a camera remote. This is beneficial to have because it (a) eliminates any camera shake that would have happened from pressing the shutter button and (b) frees you up so you're not reaching for the camera all the time. In my case I'm using a remote for the turntable and one for the camera. So I just have to toggle between hitting two buttons. This helps streamline the process so I can focus on how the photos are turning out and not have to worry about doing a million different things.

Some other things that you will need are:
  • Tripod - you will not get good results if you snap the photos freehand due to movement and vibration which will blur the photos
  • Backdrop - something in a neutral color that will not reflect weird color light, but different enough from the color of the subject so that the software can distinguish between the two
  • Lights - this process demands a lot of light since you will be shooting with the aperture very small, in order to get good depth of field

Capture.Subject
My strong recommendation when starting out would be to pick something chunky. Keyboards tend to be very flat, so when viewed from the side there's only a small visible amount. This means that as the keyboard rotates around those sides, the geometry is changing faster and faster. If you choose something thick, you will end up fighting against this problem much less. Note: I'm aware that I picked a very thin object for this guide but I'm running out of subjects!

Capture.Camera
It's important to use a camera that's capable of capturing fairly high megapixels. In addition to that, you're going to want to shoot with the f-stop all the way up, in order to get as much depth of field in each picture as possible. You'll also want to shoot with a fixed white balance (either set a custom white balance or use a preset). If you use auto white balance, the end texture will not come out as good.

As far as format, Metashape is able to work with RAW files, but I've been using JPEG with good results. Just make sure the quality of the image is as high as possible. Oh and if you do decide to shoot in RAW, make sure the software accepts your specific file format before you take all the pictures. My camera puts our CR3 by default, which is not supported. I tried to convert to JPEG and pull them into the software but I got very bad results. So make sure it's going to work before you put in all the effort.

Capture.Framing
The first thing I'd like to say about this is I've found working in batches to provide many benefits. It organizes your work for you and it makes it easier for the software to process, if you take care of certain things ahead of time.

For keyboards I've found that the sweet spot for total number of photos to be around 400-500. If you go much less than this you probably will run into alignment issues and other downstream problems. You can go with more, but just be aware that it will add to the processing time.

That grand total number works well with my method of taking shots of the keyboard in 4 different positions. With about 100 photos of each position. So basically:
  • Put the keyboard on the stand in position #1
  • Rotate on the turntable / take photos (~100)
  • Repeat for position #2, #3, #4
Since we're using the turntable method, it's going to be important to frame the shot well. I prefer to not move the camera at all while I'm working in a batch. So you have to frame the shot in a way that works for all 100 photos in the batch. I find it is a worthwhile exercise to take a moment before shooting all my photos and just spin the turntable+keyboard a few times while looking through the viewfinder. You can adjust the position of the object of the angle of your shot so it works okay for the whole batch of pictures.

While doing this, you'll also want to keep an eye out for some other things. Strong shadows should be avoided since they will obscure important details and/or discolor your texture. Glares should also be avoided as much as possible! Glares really mess up how the surface of your object get recreated. If you find that you're getting bad glares at certain angles, try to work around it by either moving the lights around to avoid the bad glare in those positions or put something between the subject and the light that will help eliminate the glare (e.g. magazine). Actually, this is something I wasn't very mindful of when I took this set of pictures. But do as I say, not as I do!

Capture.Photographing
One of the biggest keys to image alignment is maximizing the amount of overlap that you have between pictures. To help achieve this, try to get around 60-80% of the frame filled with the subject and work in a logical sequence that will be easy for you to visually validate proper alignment between pictures. For the turntable method, there will be times when you're viewing the keyboard completely from the side (such that it's a very thin object not taking up much of the frame). This makes it difficult to fill the frame. So to combat that, I like to take photos in smaller intervals as I work around the sides. This will make more sense when you see the pictures below.

Additionally you'll want to make sure that your backdrop provides adequate coverage. For my particular method, it is important to keep the background simple so that it can be removed.

Oh another very important aspect is focus. I've tried different things with focus and have landed on a technique that works pretty well for me. For starters, you will absolutely need to turn autofocus off. What I like to do is frame up my first shot (e.g. viewing the keyboard straight on), manual focus, then rotate the object and make sure the focus is going to work out okay for all the other angles. You want it so that the focus stays right in the middle as the object rotates around. Yes, this means that when you're viewing the keyboard from the side and it's right in your face, you're still focused the same way. Hopefully if you use the right lens and f-stop, you'll get enough depth of field that the resulting images still come out clear.

In general I try to keep things as consistent and predictable as possible. My f-stop is already jacked all the way up so now the variable is shutter speed. Obviously you're going to be working with some pretty slow shutter speeds in order to get enough light in each picture. But I try to set the shutter speed once and not change it. This means, get something that is going to work out okay with the front, back, and sides of the keyboard. You can try adjusting the exposure as you go but it (a) takes extra effort and (b) introduces another factor into the mix.

Finally, after you've taken all 360 degrees of photos of your subject, take the subject away and take a photo without the subject. Sometimes I like to take a few, rotating the stand in different positions. We'll use these few pictures later to tell the software what parts of the images to ignore.

Batch 1

Batch 2

Batch 3

Batch 4

If you'd like to download my dataset to try to run it through the software or if you'd just like to compare things, here's a link to the photos I took:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C7igS ... xfvHDjHP6x

This is the same set of photos that I'll use as an example in Part 2.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

09 Feb 2020, 04:37

Part 2 - Reconstruct

Reconstruct.Preface
Before diving into the tool it's worth going over the general photogrammetry workflow. First you start with the image alignment process. In this process, features are extracted from the images. These features are called key points. Then the image are compared for common features that appear across photos. The matching points are called tie points. When image alignment completes, you're left with a sparse point cloud representing the positions of all the different tie points.

Then depth maps are created for each image. A depth map is the software's best estimation of the depths of all the features in an image.

Using the alignment data + the depthmap data, a mesh can be generated. A mesh is a bunch of interconnected triangles that form a (hopefully) solid object.

So why is all of this important? Well, first it's probably pertinent to ask what challenges there are with the turntable method. The biggest issue with the turntable method is that the object moves while the background stays stationary. The software is expecting the background of the images to change in relation to the object, as if you were walking around it.

So the solution is to tell the software to ignore the background features in each image. That sounds like it involves a lot of manual work, but the software has a trick to do this more efficiently.

The trick (or feature) is called extracting masks from model. A mask is a black and white silhouette-looking image that covers up parts of the picture that are supposed to be ignored. A model is the 3D recreation of the object. So extracting masks from the model means we take the 3D object, trim and modify it to our needs, then extract the masks for each image. The software will mask each image based on what is still left in the 3D model. So in other words, if I trim out the stand from my 3D model then extract the mask for that image set, the stand would be masked out of each image. It doesn't always work perfectly but I find it almost always works good enough, and with a little bit of manual refinement, can produce a really nice output.

The point of this workflow is to offload as much of the manual work (manual masking work particularly) to the computer. This means that sometimes we'll be doing some seemingly convoluted steps, but I promise it will make sense if you stick with it. This also means that we'll be looking at a lot of processing time. We should look at that time as the hours you would have been spending manually masking each image (I've done it before and it's not fun at all).

Reconstruct.Project
Create a new project in Metashape. Then go to Tools > Preferences, then on the Advanced tab, tick the box next to "Keep key points". This actually isn't a project setting, it's a preference that gets used across different projects. So just remember to turn it off in the future if you need. But what it does is allow us to build up our sparse point cloud by adding images little by little, rather than all at once.

Next, add 4 chunks to your project. Each chunk will hold a batch of photos that we took. Import your photos into each respective chunk. A chunk is basically just a logical grouping of items that we can apply workflow actions to (e.g. alignment, mesh generation, etc). Your project should look something like this:

Reconstruct.Background_Masking

Double click on Chunk 1 to make it active. Expand it open and scroll to the "blank" photos you took -- the ones where we removed the subject and just photographed the turntable, stand, and backdrop.

In the top toolbar pick the rectangle selection tool. In the image pane, draw a rectangle around the entire image. Right click and choose "Add Selection". What we've just done is create a mask for this image. Since the image does not show any part of our subject, everything is masked out. Now we can tell the software to globally ignore any of what you see in this photo. Repeat this for the other "blank" photos if you have any.

No MaskEverything Masked
ImageImage

Reconstruction.Initial_Alignment
Next go to Workflow > Align Photos. Set Accuracy to "Highest". This tells the software to use the full resolution images. Lower settings tell the software to downsize the photos.

As of this writing there was recently a new feature introduced called Reference Preselection. We can take advantage of this feature as long as we took our photos in a logical sequence. To activate this feature, select "Sequential" from the dropdown and check the box next to Reference Preselection.

Next we tell the program how many points to use in each picture. For key point limit, I've found that 45,000 seems to work well. For tie point limit I use 12,000. I think these are slightly higher than the defaults.

Guided Image Mapping might be useful if you don't get all your images aligned. But for now you can leave it unchecked. We may use this later if our images don't align well.

Adaptive Camera Model Fitting I've never gotten good results with. But the subject I was working with was really difficult to recreate (single keycap) so that may have been why. You can leave this unchecked.

The Apply Masks To setting in this dialog is the most interesting to me, particularly for the turntable workflow. There are two options in here:
  • Key Points - This tells the software to ignore any points covered up by the masks when comparing photos.
  • Tie Points - This tells the software that it can use points covered by the masks when doing matching, but only come out with tie points that fall within the uncovered spots.
For our purpose, we want to apply masks to tie points. This will allow the program to use all the image data when matching, but give us a sparse cloud of just the unmasked portions of the dataset (which ideally should just be the object we're scanning, but it's okay if we get some other bits in there as well since we'll be doing some refinement).

Click okay and let it run. The Reference Presselection setting should make the alignment run faster.

Note: A popup will appear saying that not all the images aligned. At a minimum, we can expect that our "blank" image(s) fail to align, since they are totally masked. So just know that this is normal and expected. You can check to see if other images failed to align by looking in the left pane. "NA" will appear next to the name of the photo.

When alignment finishes, you should be left with a sparse cloud that roughly resembles the object your scanning. Examine the point cloud and look for anything that looks out of place. The next two sections (Reconstruct.Alignment.Troubleshooting.Realignment and Reconstruct.Alignment.Troubleshooting.Tweaking) will cover techniques that we can use to improve our sparse cloud. But if everything looks good at this point, you can skip the next two sections.

Reconstruct.Initial_Alignment.Troubleshooting.Realignment
In my case, alignment for Chunk 1 didn't come out so nicely. You can see a lot of noise around the cloud and some portions which totally jut out in random directions. I could try to tweak this into shape, but first I usually just try to re-run the alignment dialog using different settings. The same approach can be taken if you end up with a lot of unaligned images.

So when I run alignment this time, I'm deciding to turn on Guided Image Matching. As I understand it, this feature does an additional pass (multiple?) looking for matches between images. This is of course a good thing, but it comes at the cost of longer run time.

If that still doesn't yield a good result, you can also try disabling Reference Preselection. To do that, set the dropdown to "Esitmated" and uncheck the box next to Reference Preselection.

Just be aware that running the image alignment now will take longer. Sometimes much longer. Oh and remember to tick the box next to "Reset Current Alignment" if you're re-running the alignment from scratch.

If these things still do not help, you can try increasing the values of key point / tie point limits. However, I probably wouldn't go higher than 60,000 / 20,000 respectively. It's unlikely to help and might even cause some weird artifacts in the model. You can set both values to zero if you'd like the program to use as many points as possible, but again, this is more of an indication that you need to retake or add photos to correct the underlying problem(s) in the dataset (e.g. not enough overlap).

Reconstruct.Initial_Alignment.Troubleshooting.Tweaking
If you still have some weirdness going on in the cloud, you can try manually resetting and aligning images, one-by-one. For instance, if you have an odd portion of the cloud jutting out in one direction (as shown in the screenshot above), you can target these points to do your refinements.

To select some points in the cloud, activate the Rectangle Selection tool. Draw a box around the points you're interested in to select them. Once selected, right click on the point(s) and select "Filter Photos by Tie Points". This will filter the list of images shown in the bottom pane to just the ones where those selected tie points came from.

Select all of the filtered images, right click, and choose "Reset Camera Alignment". You'll see the NA show up next to these images in the left pane. Right click on each image individually and choose "Align Selected Cameras". It's best to do this working in a logical sequence.

Keep an eye on the model as you do this, things *should* click nicely into place but if you notice the weirdness coming back to the point cloud, you're going to want to exclude these images. Right click these photos and select "Reset Alignment". Then right click and disable them. They might come in handy later if we're able to match them to other cameras when we bring all the sets together.

Reconstruct.Initial_Alignment.Repeat
Repeat the above alignment steps for all the other chunks until you're happy with the sparse clouds for each of them.

This is what I ended up with:

Chunk 1Chunk 2Chunk 3Chunk 4
ImageImageImageImage

Reconstruct.Initial_Alignment.Refine
You can remove points from the cloud by selecting and deleting them. If everything looks pretty good, this might not be necessary. But if you do edit the point cloud, make sure to run "Optimize Cameras" (Right click chunk > Process).

Reconstruct.Masks_From_Mesh.Reconstruction_Region
In the toolbar, select the option to "Resize Region". Adjust the box so that it contains all of your object, but don't leave too much empty space in the box since a bigger box translates to longer processing time. Do this for all the chunks in your project.

Reconstruct.Masks_From_Mesh.Generate_Meshes
So now that we have everything set up, we can do the next step in batch. Metashape has a really handy batch processing wizard that allows you do plan out your whole workflow, push a button, and let it run. We'll use this feature to generate meshes for all of the chunks in our project.

Go to Workflow > Batch Process. In the dialog click Add to create a new batch item. Select "Build Mesh" We want this item to run for All Chunks. Here is a breakdown of most of the meshing parameters:
  • Source Data - Set to Depth Maps - Tells the program to generate depth maps and use those for meshing. Other option is to create from a sparse / dense point cloud. I've had better and faster results with depth maps on most projects.
  • Surface Type - Set to Arbitrary - I don't know the nuances of what this setting does but I know that Arbitrary is appropriate for scanning an object like this (rather than, say, reconstructing drone footage)..
  • Depth Maps Quality - Set to Ultra High - If you have the time, crank this up to ultra high. I've found it produces better, more accurate masks.
  • Face Count - Set to High - I haven't played around with this much but I feel that it could be very useful in cutting down some of the bumpiness in the resulting models.
  • Custom Face Count - Not relevant since we set to high.
  • Interpolation - Set to Enabled - If a little piece is missing, the program will try to "interpolate" or fill in the missing piece.
  • Calculate Vertex Colors - Set to Yes - Having color will be useful in identifying what we want to keep vs remove.
  • Reuse Depth Maps - Set to No - We haven't generated them yet.
  • Use Strict Volumetric Masks - Set to Yes - Anything that has been masked out of the source images will be totally excluded from the generated model. Since we masked out those blank images of the backdrop, we want that data to be ignored.

Click okay and then run the batch. You can also tell the program to save the project after each step in the batch (probably a good idea).

When the job finishes you should have something like this

Chunk 1Chunk 2Chunk 3Chunk 4
ImageImageImageImage

Reconstruct.Masks_From_Mesh.Edit_Mesh
Now what we want to do is remove all the parts of the model that show the stand / turntable / anything else we want masked in our image set. Use the selection tools to select these parts of the model and delete them. I've found that it doesn't pay off to do this super precisely. If anything, you want to remove a little bit extra around the object in order to make sure it gets totally masked out of the image.

BeforeAfter
ImageImage

Repeat this same thing for each chunk in your project.

Reconstruct.Masks_From_Mesh.Edit_Mesh
Now we want to take advantage of that Extract Masks from Mesh feature. You can do this manually for each chunk but it's also possible to run as a batch process.

To run as a batch process, open the batch wizard and add a new job (remove the old one) for Import Masks. This job will be for All Chunks.
  • Method - Set to From Model
  • Operation - Set to Replacement
  • Tollerance - Set to 10
  • Filename template - Not relevant
  • Folder - Not relevant

You can view the resulting masks by looking at the photos in the bottom pane. There's an option to toggle thumbnails so they show up as just the mask. It's worthwhile to go through and make sure that the masks that got generated are roughly right and nothings totally out of whack.

Now in theory, all of your images should be masked such that just the subject is visible. It's probably not going to end up perfect, but it should be good enough for our needs.

Reconstruct.Consolidated_Alignment
There are two approaches you can take to aligning the full set of pictures. You can (a) align them all at once or (b) gradually/iteratively . I'll cover both since I think they both have their place and time.

Reconstruct.Consolidated_Alignment.Full_Alignment
This is probably a good point to duplicate each of your chunks as a "checkpoint" that you can come back to if something goes wrong. In addition to duplicating the chunks, create one additional empty chunk and name it something like "Everything". Then move all of the photos from the duplicated chunks into this "Everything" chunk.

Before running alignment, you'll want to make sure every image in your set has a mask. View all the masks in the bottom pane while enabling the "Toggle Masks" feature. If everything looks good, open a photo alignment dialog for the "Everything" chunk. For this step, we'll use slightly different settings.
  • We want to disable Reference Preselection, and set the dropdown back to "Estimated"
  • Enable Reset Current Alignment since we're starting fresh
  • Set Apply Masks to Key Points, since the images in our consolidated data set have four different backgrounds (which should be ignored via masks)

You could also enable Guided Image Matching but it will take much longer. Maybe try first with this setting disabled and see if you really need it. Without Guided Image Matching enabled it took me about 2 hours to align 404 photos (just to give you a benchmark).

Reconstruct.Consolidated_Alignment.Gradual_Alignment
The other approach that you could take is to build the sparse cloud up gradually. This approach depends on having the "save key points" setting enabled in the application properties (from the beginning steps of Part 2).

To do this workflow, you'll want to select one of your chunks to use as a foundation. You want one that shows as much of the object as possible. You also want one that is going to align really well. So between those two factors, choose a chunk and open the alignment dialog for it. If you don't have a good candidate, I'd recommend just doing the full alignment explained above.

In the alignment settings, we'll want to make these changes:
  • We want to disable Reference Preselection, and set the dropdown back to "Estimated"
  • Enable Reset Current Alignment since we're starting fresh
  • Set Apply Masks to Tie Points, since we're still working within just a single chunk having the same background features across all images.
Then run the alignment. If everything works out, you should have a pretty clean sparse cloud. If not, you can try to fix up the cloud with the techniques explained in the Reconstruct.Initial_Alignment.Troubleshooting sections of this guide.

Next you'll add the photos from one of the other chunks into your foundation chunk. Open the alignment dialog and make these changes:
  • Reset Current Alignment - Set to Disabled, since that would wipe out our cloud
  • Apply Masks To - Set to Key Points, since we've now introduced another background
Run the alignment, and hopefully you should end up with a more robust sparse cloud. Repeat the gradual alignment steps for the remaining chunks.

Reconstruct.Consolidated_Mesh
Which ever approach you took for alignment, you'll end up with a sparse point cloud that should look pretty darn accurate. It should be mostly, if not all, absent of any signs of the stand / turntable / backdrop. If anything is odd about the sparse cloud, make sure to fix it up before proceeding. Once everything looks good with your cloud refinements, make sure to run Optimize Cameras (default settings are fine).

Finally we can start generating the mesh. Right click on the chunk containing your consolidated model and choose Process > Build Mesh. We'll again make a settings tweak since we're now working with the full dataset.
  • Use Strict Volumetric Masks - Set to Disabled, since we've masked out the stand in several pictures, the non-visible portions of the subject that have been masked out would be wholesale excluded from the generated mesh.

Now I'm not going to lie, mesh generation with all the photos is going to take a while. Budget about a 3-6 hours (really depends on the specs of your PC though).

This is where I am in my working example so I'm going to pause here as the computer churns away. Thanks for digging through this brain dump. If you've gotten this far, you get a star sticker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconstruct.Refined_Mask_Extraction
This next step is really optional and it's going to depend on the result of your mesh for the previous step. If everything looks good with the mesh, or if you want to save some time, feel free to skip this step. It does add quite a bit of processing time to the project.

We extracted masks for our images from our four separate chunks. They were probably "okay" but with a lot of room for improvement. I've found that by re-extracting new masks from the consolidated model gives me masks that are much more accurate.

So the steps here would be similar to what we did above. Right click on the consolidated chunk and go to Import > Masks. Again we're pulling these from the model, we want replacement, and we want to apply task to all images.

Once that completes, make sure to review your masks. You're going to be running this whole dataset with quality cranked up so mistakes here become expensive time-wise.

If everything looks good with the masks, run a full alignment of all images. Note: I've enabled guided image matching because I was running into alignment issues on some of the photos.

Finally, clean up your sparse cloud, like you did in previous steps, then generate mesh.

Note: You don't need to have vertex colors turned on since we're going to be texturing the model, but I find it to be helpful in identifying defects.

Sparse CloudMesh
ImageImage
Reconstruct.Mesh_Decimation
Now what you have is a 3D model of your object. But if you exported it now, the file would likely be huge. Maybe that's okay with you but if you're hoping to share it, you probably want to shrink the file down first. Luckily there's a built in tool to decimate (or simplify) your mesh to a more reasonable size.

Before you do this, go ahead and duplicate your working chunk again (just the model). Activate the duplicated chunk then go to Tools > Mesh > Decimate Mesh and in the dialog put the number of faces that you would like to simplify down to. I've found that 3,800,000 faces exports to about ~190MB. Since my sketchfab account limits me to models no bigger than 200MB, this is perfect for me. Note: It is probably possible to simplify further, even get better results visually too, but I've not done much of that yet so I can't help there. I will say that Metashape is really open with letting you import/export the data in different formats (depending on where you are in the process) so you can pop into external tools to make tweaks.

Reconstruct.Mesh_Refinement
This step is totally optional and I almost always skip it. Just throwing it in for completeness.

Metashape has a feature called Refine Mesh which, according to the manual, can be useful to... "recover details on surface. For example it can recover basrelief or ditch." Or in my case, in between keycaps, and stuff like that.

The reason I say this is optional is because it takes *forever* and usually gives you only marginal improvement on this type of project. If you run mesh refinement on Ultra High quality, just know that it will take a long long time. I can't even provide an estimate.

Capture.Texuring
Whether or not you did the last couple optional steps, you can proceed with the texture generation the same way. Right click on your working chunk and select Process > Build Texture.

I have to admit, I have no clue what I'm doing here. I'll comment on what I can but I typically just use a pumped up version of the default settings:
  • Texture size/count - I simply doubled the default value to 8192
  • Enable hole filling - This can be useful if you have some holes in your mesh. Though I have a hole in the front of my spacebar and it didn't try to fill it.
  • Enable ghosting filter - This can be useful if you have thin features or moving objects that didn't get captured, it can help prevent ghosting in the generated texture.
Run the texture generation (it should not take very long).

Capture.Exporting
Finally, you can export your finished model by right clicking the chunk and going to Export > Export Model. I usually export to PLY format and leave the settings as default.

Thanks for taking a look at this guide. I've left an open spot to dump some miscellaneous topics in the future if I happen to think of some. Feel free to suggest some alternative techniques you think up. I'm happy to try things out and share my results.

Here's a link to the example model from the tutorial:

https://skfb.ly/6Q9NA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZecZA ... kibeawgKJq_
Last edited by snacksthecat on 11 Feb 2020, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

09 Feb 2020, 04:37

reserved something (?)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

10 Feb 2020, 04:40

Added the first half of Part 2. Waiting for my example to process in the meantime.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Feb 2020, 10:00

this is... impressive.

I read a few articles about photogrammetry and from the tests it seems that it's better to rotate the camera and not the object. basically the environment helps the algorithm to compute the object better

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

11 Feb 2020, 03:05

matt3o wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 10:00
this is... impressive.

I read a few articles about photogrammetry and from the tests it seems that it's better to rotate the camera and not the object. basically the environment helps the algorithm to compute the object better
You're exactly right. There's so much data in the background features of photos that can be used to determine the camera positions. It really does help a lot to approach it that way. I ended up going with the turntable so far for two primary reasons: (1) space / time -- takes a lot to get good even rotations around an object and (2) wanting to scan whole objects, not just the tops.

I think I could probably get better results if I figured out an efficient way to shoot going around the object, so I'll have to give this a try sometime.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2020, 08:42

yeah I totally understand that it's way easier to move the object on a turntable and also your result speaks for itself! Great work!

I was thinking of creating a CNC based system... a sort of gimbal that automatically rotates a camera around an object... Basically something like this https://www.openscan.eu/?lang=en but what is moving is the camera.

aaaah too many projects! :D

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

15 Feb 2020, 00:28

This next scan took me quite a while to complete because I took photos of the board once, ran it through the process, and wasn't happy with how it turned out at all. So I redid everything and still wasn't 100% pleased. I decided to try running the photoset through RealityCapture this time to see what kinds of results I could get out of that one. So below I'm sharing the outputs of those two programs.

Metashape
https://skfb.ly/6QxDo

RealityCapture
https://skfb.ly/6QxDp

I think it's safe to say that RealityCapture gave the superior output. That being said, I do really prefer to work in Metashape. I feel like it's way more coherent and has a lot of novel features.

One thing you'll notice in both models is the discoloration of the case in certain areas. This is the shadow of the stand I used. I should have masked out those parts more aggressively. One thing I could do at this point if I wanted to is try to run it through Agisoft's Deligher utility, which I think might help with something like this. But I don't know how to use it and I'm not that interested at this point. Right now I'd like to focus on things that give bigger improvement bang for the buck.

The next board I'm going to try to scan is translucent so I'm sure that will pose all sorts of challenges, if it is even possible at all.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

20 Feb 2020, 02:32

I was looking at other software out there and came across a name that I come across all the time but ignore for some unknown reason. 3D Zephyr is another program that has a reasonably priced (€149) version available for hobbyists and such. So the mid-tier playing field as I see it looks like:

Pricing:
  • RealityCapture - Free + pay-per-input
  • MetaShape - $179
  • 3D Zephyr - ~$160
Pros/Cons
  • RealityCapture
    - pro: Produces really clean models, Great pricing model for hobbiests
    - con: Not enough control
  • MetaShape
    - pro: Tons of features/control, Very open (allowing for import/export of data)
    - con: Models could be prettier (note: some of this could just be me)
  • 3D Zephyr
    - pro: I don't know much at this point but I've seen some really good models made in this software
    - con: 500 image limit unless you buy the higher tier

There are things I really like about both RealityCapture and Metashape, but currently lean toward MetaShape because it has more features. I'm eager to see what this Zephyr app has to offer.

Not sure if anyone's interested but I'd be happy to share what I learn, similar to the original guide I made this thread for. I feel like I've made some good strides with these last few scans and I'm hooked on the feeling of progress at the moment.

Regardless of any other changes in my workflow, I think the "import mesh from model" trick is just way too cool and useful not to do.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Feb 2020, 08:32

have you tried meshroom?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

20 Feb 2020, 23:55

matt3o wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 08:32
have you tried meshroom?
Yes, meshroom is really cool and I want to love it, but it just doesn't seem to jive well with anything I try to feed it. Granted when I tried it out, I was having a hell of a time getting any set of photos to align in any software, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

On the plus side, it's perfect for automation. The way you work in the tool is by creating a chain of nodes. Each node is an action that the software performs with certain inputs and outputs. You link them together so the outputs of node A become the inputs of node B. So you can create these really powerful workflows where you compute the model with, for example, 3 or 4 different settings, then see what came out best.

For photogrammetry I swear it's a right of passage that every hobbiest starts with a scan of a tree stump in their backyard. Something with really good texture and shape is ideal for scanning and the models usually come out really good. But keyboards lack on both of those fronts. For instance, it's really hard to get alignment for an image of a keyboard from the side, where it is just a sliver.

I found that meshroom would always fail to align huge portions of my photo set which would make the scan useless. I've learned a lot since I tried out meshroom so it would be worth another go at it. I love that it's free and open source. It does have a dependency on CUDA enabled GPU for certain actions which seems to ruffle some peoples' feathers (I think you can fall back to CPU at the expense of longer processing times though).

I'll try one of my photosets that gave the least amount of alignment problems and see how it comes out. Who knows, maybe it will surprise me this time.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2020, 07:03

snacksthecat wrote:
Yes, meshroom is really cool and I want to love it, but it just doesn't seem to jive well with anything I try to feed it. Granted when I tried it out, I was having a hell of a time getting any set of photos to align in any software, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Try to add a pattern to the base. I see you use a black plinth, try to put like a decorative paper with a well defined almost geometric pattern on it. I believe that would help the algorithm.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

22 Feb 2020, 00:06

matt3o wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 07:03
snacksthecat wrote:
Try to add a pattern to the base. I see you use a black plinth, try to put like a decorative paper with a well defined almost geometric pattern on it. I believe that would help the algorithm.
That's a good idea and would probably help with alignment. It also reminds me that most of these programs support printed markers that look like this:

You print/cut them out and place them around the base like you said. It helps the program at least with alignment (not sure if it helps in any of the other steps). Seems like an easy worthwhile thing to try. Maybe I won't need to take quite so many pictures of those weird angles, trying to help the image matching out through brute force.

Return to “Workshop”