Rubber domes suggestions

Xiandros_

26 Jan 2020, 19:45

Hi everyone!

It's not a lot since a got really interested in computer keyboards.
Up until a few months ago I had a generic Logitech "gaming" rubber dome keyboard, since then however I tried two IBM Model Ms (found them in my garage with my grandma's old IBM 5150), A Rii K66 and my now daily driver Logitech G613 that I manage to get new for like ¼ of the price.
In the last few days I decided that I wanted to try a decent rubber dome keyboard that's <70€, used is fine too of course.
Do you have any suggestions?

abrahamstechnology

26 Jan 2020, 20:10

Maybe a Mitsumi?

Noobmaen

26 Jan 2020, 20:17

Olivetti ANK 25 is good if you can stand the short key travel. ANK 27 is also decent but more cheaply made all around

Fuzzyman

26 Jan 2020, 22:42

The Lenovo Preferred Pro keyboards are feel nice for rubber domes are are not expensive. I’m not sure about the new model (Preferred Pro II) but you can still the the old one for $27 on Amazon. Since the II is $19, I suspect there has been cost-cutting.

wobbled

27 Jan 2020, 10:58

Can confirm, Lenovo Preferred Pro is a nice feeling, cheap, readily available rubber dome keyboard.
The feel is very soft, which could be mistaken for mushy feel, this however does offer some nice smooth tactility.

If tactility and sound is what you're after, find a BTC Dome w/ Slider board.

And finally if money isn't an issue, buy topre.

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2020, 11:56

Some early IBM rubber domes are ok. Some cherry ones aint too terrible. Some much older Compaq.

Dont remember the model number , but some Packard Bell keyboards (early ones) where dome on PCB, never used one but they are supposed to be on the tail of the best rubber dome ( and one of the better switches outright ) , Topre!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Jan 2020, 17:41

Noobmaen wrote:
Olivetti ANK 25 is good if you can stand the short key travel. ANK 27 is also decent but more cheaply made all around
This! Did anyone try ANK 26 already, by the way? It looks very similar to ANK 25, but since the model number is different, I'm intrigued.

sharktastica

27 Jan 2020, 20:13

I concur with the statements about early IBM rubber domes and the Lenovo Preferred Pro (SK-8825). I would also like to suggest the IBM/Lenovo Enhanced Performance (SK-8815) too as a cheap and cheerful option!

Whilst I can't guarantee it is always south of $70, I've seen IBM SpaceSaver II (RT3200) keyboards go for good prices and you get a TrackPoint mouse nipple if that (or ThinkPads) are your thing. Speaking of which, and if you're okay with low-profile keyboards, actual discrete IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad desktop keyboards are plentiful and usually priced decently too, and are my go-to options for portable keyboard needs. Some model numbers to look for include SK-8835 (IBM old style, with touchpad and numpad), SK-8840 (IBM, with touchpad), SK-8845CR (IBM, just TrackPoint), SK-8855 (Lenovo old style, just TrackPoint), and KU-1255 (Lenovo new style AccuType, just TrackPoint).

Xiandros_

27 Jan 2020, 21:02

Thanks everyone! I'll see what I can get here in Italy/Europe!

HungerMechanic

28 Jan 2020, 22:35

The Kensington Keyboard for Life offers good durability and decent key-feel for its low price. Some have said it's tactility is 'ALPS-like,' but I'm not sure what they mean by that. I doubt it's anywhere near Orange Alps, for example.

Since you are in Europe, you might want to consider Perixx keyboards. They make a model that resembles MX Brown in feel, as well as a scissor-switch gaming keyboard that uses full-size switches to get a more robust key-press experience.

Noobmaen

30 Jan 2020, 15:59

ramnes wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 17:41
Noobmaen wrote:
This! Did anyone try ANK 26 already, by the way? It looks very similar to ANK 25, but since the model number is different, I'm intrigued.
I think it's the case of the ANK 25 with some cheapifications of the ANK 27 such as using printed ABS keycaps instead of dyesub PBT. They seem to be rarer than the ANK 25

Xiandros_

06 Feb 2020, 16:40

Got the Olivetti ANK 27. However it came without a cable.
Do I have to look for something specific or is it a standard connector?

Noobmaen

06 Feb 2020, 17:07

My ANK 27 was lacking it's original cable but it works fine with an SDL cable of Model M

kelvinhall05

10 Feb 2020, 19:38

Bit of an odd suggestion, but if you want something unique and a bit of a project, look for a Prototopre board. I'd say the easiest source of them is probably from older Brother electronic typewriters, like my AX-24 for example. Most have really good keycaps, and the rubber domes are called "Prototopre" because they're so damn similar in feel to Topre.

BitbatClicks

15 Feb 2020, 02:48

Most rubber domes aren't that good but cooler master devestator does the job for me.

anmq91

15 Feb 2020, 20:28

Just out of interest, why are you interested in getting a non Topre rubber dome board when you have a model M as a daily driver?

To answer your question, its the same as the replies above, BTC Dome with Slider for something with good sound and tactility and Topre for the ultimate rubber dome experience if you can spend the extra cash there.

Chyros

17 Feb 2020, 10:47

BTC dome with slider boards can be had for next to nothing and are among the best rubber domes in the field.

Spearra

17 Feb 2020, 10:48

If a subtle, elegant feeling, while still feature rich keyboard is what you want, go to Amazon, look up the "Perixx PX-1900", and get one of those. I myself used Topre with and without modifications (for example BKE Redux Domes), Unicomp/IBM Rubber Dome boards, among many others and I still find that Perixx PX-1900 in particular to be EXTREMELY good for the price! Sometimes the price gets inflated due to first party stocks running dry, so if it isn't less than <50€, first party stock probably dried up.

When it is in stock, highly recommend. The membrane matrix is extremely well optimized so gaming isn't effected. For example, the A key all the way to the ' key on the same row, if all the keys on that same row are pressed simultaneously, odds are all of them will register. Not quite NKRO but it virtually is for all practical purposes.

It also has spill resistance so if you have a uh-oh with a drink, you won't have to fork over 50€ more to get another.

Then of course the feel. Once of the most elegant budget keyboards I've ever used hands down. Due to the nature of scissor switches, a lot of the feeling is based on the rubber domes as opposed to that in addition to a "plunger/slider" of sort for "membrane" switch designs. In this particular keyboard's instance, the rubber domes are subtle, but noticeable, heavy enough to not miss type, but light enough to be relatively easy to use for gaming.
And since you don't have any slider/plunger friction to worry about, it is alarmingly smooth for what is still just a sub 50€ keyboard. The funny thing is that it feels less mushy than stock Topre!

Topre is good and all, but just don't forget that they do in fact feel like "regular" rubber domes when looked at objectively. That and Topre isn't even within your budget range to begin with, nor do I think they're entirely necessary.

And of course, being a scissor switch keyboard, those PX-1900's, you can probably get away with using at night. Perixx is a very underrated and their PX-1900 honestly just makes a bunch of modern popular mechanical switches (and keyboards) look unfinished by comparison. So imo, its the golden standard for me as far as daily drivers go. The almost NKRO and the water (almost) proofing, those two features in particular are surprisingly hard to come by in a reasonably laid out keyboard.

The layout also isn't stupid. Some of these "space saving" keyboards that are still full sized need to stop trying to reinvent the damn wheel XD
The way the PX-1900 did it, boom, perfectly functional layout.

kelvinhall05

17 Feb 2020, 14:54

Chyros wrote:
BTC dome with slider boards can be had for next to nothing and are among the best rubber domes in the field.
Really? I rarely see them below $50...

wobbled

17 Feb 2020, 17:09

Chyros wrote:
Not anymore they can't, the price sky rockets after you big them up in your videos.

kelvinhall05

17 Feb 2020, 17:26

ntv242 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 17:23
I dont really understand the hype around btc dome with slider. When I get mine, just a few minutes typing on it and I was like: yep, this is definitely a rubber dome. Never on par with a mechanical switch feeling, to me. I guess I wont like topre either.
Rubber domes in general are a very weird feeling. You either love it or hate it.

Return to “Keyboards”