Hacking a PS/2 onto a Raspberry Pi for Tipro's reprogramming?

Sidle

26 Feb 2020, 21:22

So, I'm referring to the PS/2 Tipro keyboards that need a 32-bit system, and a computer with a PS/2 port to program. Wondering aloud, if it'd be possible to set up a cheap PI 0 (like £10) to program them. That'd breathe life into the hundreds that are lying in a corner all sad and unused! :)

I've seen projects where a PS/2 connector is hacked to the GPIO ports, so that leaves the actual programming code from ChangeMe / MIDWin to be put onto the pi in ARM code. Is there C / C++ code available by Tipro? Has the weird PS/2 magic ever been reverse engineered?

As this would be hackish, a ui could be replaced with an input text file with the instructions for each key.

Also, their site states "Programming PS/2 content can be done via the RS232 interface, if present" - does this refer to the other PS/2 socket that isn't for connecting to a computer?

vinnycordeiro

28 Feb 2020, 13:09

PS/2 protocol is actually very simple and well-documented. And yes, there are PS/2 adapters for the Raspberry Pi.

Do your homework and google it yourself, instead of asking others to do that for you.

Sidle

28 Feb 2020, 13:29

vinnycordeiro wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 13:09
Do your homework and google it yourself, instead of asking others to do that for you.
Thanks for the passive-aggressive and unhelpful answer. I don't use google, I use a company that respects privacy. However, if you want to "google" for tipro information regarding the ps/2, enjoy the 8 unhelpful links you'll find.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Feb 2020, 14:46

1. The RS232 in question is an interface of the computer, not the keyboard.
  2. The "other" PS/2 socket of the keyboard is a pass-through for a second keyboard.
  3. I also have a hint for you: why not simply ask Tipro themselves?

andrewjoy

28 Feb 2020, 15:33

There is an MDI USB interface that you can simply swap out with the PS/2 one and have full functionality on 64 bit systems.

MDI is no longer made by tipro (a shame as they are superior to newer models IMO) and the USB versions are not very common and also very expensive when they do show up. ( i was lucky enough to get one form a very helpful tipro fan on Deskthoirty) . I dunno if its worth contacting tipro and asking if they have any left in a dusty corner somewhere that we could buy off of them in bulk.

The best option may be to decode the interface between the controller and the keyboard itself ( as its not just a matrix connection it is a data connection between the controller and the keyboard module).

Your own software could be an option, or work could be done to fully reproduce a tipro controller and use there software.

I dont know how different the new software / controller is or how open tipro would be with sharing info with you on the old MDI modules, or even if they have that info. Another option would be a friendly tech over at tipro who could let the MDI controller source code fall of the back of a digital lorry.

Sidle

28 Feb 2020, 18:52

andrewjoy wrote:
There is an MDI USB interface that you can simply swap out with the PS/2 one and have full functionality on 64 bit systems.

MDI is no longer made by tipro (a shame as they are superior to newer models IMO) and the USB versions are not very common and also very expensive when they do show up. ( i was lucky enough to get one form a very helpful tipro fan on Deskthoirty) . I dunno if its worth contacting tipro and asking if they have any left in a dusty corner somewhere that we could buy off of them in bulk.

The best option may be to decode the interface between the controller and the keyboard itself ( as its not just a matrix connection it is a data connection between the controller and the keyboard module).

Your own software could be an option, or work could be done to fully reproduce a tipro controller and use there software.

I dont know how different the new software / controller is or how open tipro would be with sharing info with you on the old MDI modules, or even if they have that info. Another option would be a friendly tech over at tipro who could let the MDI controller source code fall of the back of a digital lorry.
Thank you, lots of info. As there's so much voodoo, it may be best to have a little converter between the ps/2 interface and a usb connection if the ps/2 specific code could be narrowed down. that way, existing hardware like memory, beeps, delay etc won't need additional fudging and a simple usb connection could be fed into the converter, with some (I guess) existing open source mapping software.

I found a thread on GH about there being an i2c connection on the board, but not much had been done to hack it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82205.0 looks interesting!
andrewjoy wrote:
Another option would be a friendly tech over at tipro who could let the MDI controller source code fall of the back of a digital lorry.
I love this expression, and let's hope! Failing that, it's time to get nasty with softice or ada or something low level.
kbdfr wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 14:46
  1. The RS232 in question is an interface of the computer, not the keyboard.
  2. The "other" PS/2 socket of the keyboard is a pass-through for a second keyboard.
  3. I also have a hint for you: why not simply ask Tipro themselves?
Thanks, I've emailed support, so let's see what comes of it!

Return to “Workshop”