Who makes large keyboards with many additional keys?

eax

17 Mar 2020, 20:08

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any company that still makes decent keyboard with a comfortable layout and some additional keys.
I use a Model M at home and at work and I also have PC-122 and a Sun type 5. They are all good keyboards but all three have some drawbacks for me: the Model M and PC-122 are too noisy at least for the evening at home and I also do get complaints at work. The PC-122 has an awkward layout with regard to the F-keys and the arrow keys, especially confusing if the 'other' keyboard has a regular arrow layout. The Sun type 5 has a really good layout and I especially welcome the additional keys on the left but it feels really soft. There is just no tactile feedback.
There are many switches and switch reviews but most keyboard using those switches are a regular full size at best. The overall trend seems to go to less keys, I don't know why.
Is there anything out there like a Model-M, without Windows keys, 24 F keys and a set of additional keys (a la Sun type 5, no fancy multimedia knobs)?
Last edited by eax on 17 Mar 2020, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

ppCircle

17 Mar 2020, 21:02

I only know about unicomp that they still making m122

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 21:03

Maybe try grease modding an M122? That would cut down on the noise.

zrrion

18 Mar 2020, 04:43

you might try getting an omnikey. If the switches are too loud you can always swap them for something quieter. Failing that a macropad would be a good solution.

Darkshado

18 Mar 2020, 06:35

Take a look at Tipro, Cherry MX Black would be quieter than buckling spring, kbdfr is our resident expert on the brand: viewtopic.php?p=439273#p439273

Findecanor

18 Mar 2020, 15:14

You could check out the Sun Type 7. Has USB, cheaper-looking keycaps and is still a rubber-dome keyboard but the rubber domes feel different: are not as mushy.
I did not mind using one at work instead of my mech keyboard with Cherry switches.

BTW, how do you use the Sun Type 5? Have you got the additional keys to work in MS Windows with an adaptor and special software?

eax

19 Mar 2020, 21:59

Darkshado wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 06:35
Take a look at Tipro, Cherry MX Black would be quieter than buckling spring, kbdfr is our resident expert on the brand: viewtopic.php?p=439273#p439273
Thanks for that one, I have never heard of it. Looks like the base keyboard with an extension might be what I'm looking for.

eax

19 Mar 2020, 22:10

Findecanor wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:14
You could check out the Sun Type 7. Has USB, cheaper-looking keycaps and is still a rubber-dome keyboard but the rubber domes feel different: are not as mushy.
I did not mind using one at work instead of my mech keyboard with Cherry switches.

BTW, how do you use the Sun Type 5? Have you got the additional keys to work in MS Windows with an adaptor and special software?
I still do have a few sun type 5s here. Attached to a sun they work fine obviously.
I used a MCU to convert the serial to PS/2, then they also work on a regular Linux PC. IIRC I programmed the left buttons to send the scancodes for a CTRL+function sequence. But they have no feedback, mushy decribes it well I think.

I'll keep my eyes open for a US-ANSI type 7, I'm not sure that they will be easy to find in Europe.
Do they 'age' well?

Return to “Keyboards”