G80-5000HAASL

Dingster

20 Mar 2020, 13:39

My streak of good Cherry luck continues with another board, this time an MX5000, the ergo keyboard from cherry and one of the first keyboards to come with MX brown switches (together with the kinesis).
It was dirty and needed a good clean, but that was relatively simple.

Comes with vintage MX brown switches (almost too light!), and is build like a "squid" but dang is it a good typing experience. It is also in slovenian layout, same keycaps as the G80-3000HAQ (for anyone interested viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23559 ).

Some pictures.

Also, is it just me or does the board ping :lol:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

20 Mar 2020, 19:06

Wow, what a find!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2020, 19:11

Quite remarkable, probably one of the most sought after Cherries.

Dingster

20 Mar 2020, 19:13

ramnes wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 19:06
Wow, what a find!
Thank you, was genuenly really surprised to find one here :P
Redmaus wrote:
Thanks, I think soo too. Doesnt get much better in terms of cherry boards :)

Exemplar

21 Mar 2020, 01:11

Redmaus wrote:
I think the SAT, SAR, and SAA are competing for that most sought after too.

Dingster

21 Mar 2020, 09:27

Exemplar wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 01:11
Redmaus wrote:
I think the SAT, SAR, and SAA are competing for that most sought after too.
I mean, keycap wise? Sure. Board wise? Probably not :P
Still, those are some incredible looking caps, esepcially SAA.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Mar 2020, 10:02

:evilgeek:

Dingster

21 Mar 2020, 13:33

webwit wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 10:02
:evilgeek:

Damn, thats amazing. I guess im outflexed :oops:

Anything different about it other than the model number?

(edit, nvm can see there are a bunch more screws on the bottom, anything else?)

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Mar 2020, 16:58

The prototype case is different from the production case, more photos here:
https://webwit.nl/input/cherry5000/trilogy/

Dingster

21 Mar 2020, 18:18

webwit wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 16:58
The prototype case is different from the production case, more photos here:
https://webwit.nl/input/cherry5000/trilogy/
Honestly prefer the looks of the finalized version, but damn thats still so cool. How did you get your hands on it, if you dont mind me asking?

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Mar 2020, 19:39

I got it in 2010, before the keyboard hobby really got big. I was exploring some of the Asian communities, mostly South Korean (they were ahead a bit), together with sixty, and he was really into Cherry and got into trading a lot because they were too. He tipped me about a private sale, didn't have the cash himself and I was into ergonomic keyboards besides IBM. I bought it, from a Chinese guy, located in Germany, who claimed he found it in a dumpster in Italy (it has Italian keycaps). Theory was that it went on a Cherry office tour for evaluation and ended up at the Italian office, and they tossed it later. I didn't know if the sales story was true but took a gamble sending a payment to a guy I knew nothing about, but it arrived and was the real thing.

Dingster

22 Mar 2020, 16:43

webwit wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 19:39
I got it in 2010, before the keyboard hobby really got big. I was exploring some of the Asian communities, mostly South Korean (they were ahead a bit), together with sixty, and he was really into Cherry and got into trading a lot because they were too. He tipped me about a private sale, didn't have the cash himself and I was into ergonomic keyboards besides IBM. I bought it, from a Chinese guy, located in Germany, who claimed he found it in a dumpster in Italy (it has Italian keycaps). Theory was that it went on a Cherry office tour for evaluation and ended up at the Italian office, and they tossed it later. I didn't know if the sales story was true but took a gamble sending a payment to a guy I knew nothing about, but it arrived and was the real thing.
Cool board with an even cooler story, kind of mind boggling it was thrown away (then again, mine was too at some point in its life :p ).

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Mar 2020, 19:09

Dingster wrote:
kind of mind boggling it was thrown away (then again, mine was too at some point in its life :p ).
Nah, that's probably the realistic part. Whether you were working in a Cherry office in those times, a pc clone shop or for a computer magazine with reviews, you got sent a lot of stuff, it ends up in shelves or piles, and you were not contemplating future collectable status. Actually the same reason why everyone trashed their mechanical keyboard over rubber domes. Or anything really. Maybe a lot of phones you tossed or abused become collector items later. The prototype has some battle damage to confirm this status at the time. There are some marks on the case like it was used to rest cigarettes or more likely a soldering iron. It had no value at the time this happened to the people around it, and was then cleared out later.

Dingster

22 Mar 2020, 19:42

webwit wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 19:09
Dingster wrote:
kind of mind boggling it was thrown away (then again, mine was too at some point in its life :p ).
Nah, that's probably the realistic part. Whether you were working in a Cherry office in those times, a pc clone shop or for a computer magazine with reviews, you got sent a lot of stuff, it ends up in shelves or piles, and you were not contemplating future collectable status. Actually the same reason why everyone trashed their mechanical keyboard over rubber domes. Or anything really. Maybe a lot of phones you tossed or abused become collector items later. The prototype has some battle damage to confirm this status at the time. There are some marks on the case like it was used to rest cigarettes or more likely a soldering iron. It had no value at the time this happened to the people around it, and was then cleared out later.
Thats fair, but most people actually see the 5k and think its something special, just my 2 cents on the subject though :)

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Mar 2020, 22:48

Maybe now, when people google for the worth. But back then I picked up valuable keyboards for free to 50 euro. Picked up one 5000 for 15 euro, another for 30 euro or something. Model M's and Model F's for nothing or almost nothing. Sellers were glad to get rid of it for any price. And that's just the people who cared and didn't just trash stuff.

Return to “Gallery”