Raytheon

kralcifer

25 Mar 2020, 02:43

I'm really excited about a Raytheon keyboard that I got off of ebay recently. I thought I'd share some pics from the tear down.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Kralcifer

kralcifer

25 Mar 2020, 02:44

I guess I'm a sucker for the looks of ITW Mag Valve keyboards. My Japanese Telecomet has a lot in common with this one.

kralcifer

25 Mar 2020, 02:46

The strangest thing I've ever come across can be seen in the 6th picture. You can see the strange text for the LEDs in the 4th and 5th pictures. Then I turn it over and what?!? They taped that paper to the back of the metal plate. Crazy! I wonder how much that keyboard cost back in 1980. I was shocked that the paper was simply taped to the back.

kralcifer

25 Mar 2020, 02:48

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Mar 2020, 07:03

Interesting color for the modifiers, never seen yellow used like that before. How's the keyfeel?

Chyros

25 Mar 2020, 08:25

Ah, you got this one! I'd seen it on eBay as well :) . These old Raytheons are nice-looking boards, congrats!

kralcifer

26 Mar 2020, 02:55

Redmaus wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 07:03
Interesting color for the modifiers, never seen yellow used like that before. How's the keyfeel?
The yellow mustard color is unique. The wiki shows a Raytheon that had a lot more keys is in that yellow. ITW Magnetic Valve is very interesting. I like the feel. Hard to describe though. I would say it feels hollow and airy and old school. Both that I have are real lookers. They sit very high. Feels like George Jetson loaned you his keyboard. I used my Japanese Telecomet at work for 2 weeks straight and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm more concerned about this one because of a lack of any keys next to the space bar and the stabilization of the two large yellow keys is very awkward. I've been trying to formulate a plan. I think I'll map some of the lower left function keys for things like ctrl-tab.

kralcifer

26 Mar 2020, 02:56

Chyros wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 08:25
Ah, you got this one! I'd seen it on eBay as well :) . These old Raytheons are nice-looking boards, congrats!
Thanks Chyros! got a great price too ;-)

Invisius

26 Mar 2020, 03:36

Nice board and teardown. It has that classic chunky look, and those ITW switches make it worth converting for sure.

I wonder what the reason is for all the different colored sliders in random spots. Were they replacements? Variable weighting? Maybe it's just what they happened to have on hand given the small production volume.

mrmola

26 Mar 2020, 06:17

There seems to be another keyboard made by raytheon listed as well. Any idea why they would make a keyboard with glass switches?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-1 ... SwjKNee~yH

Chyros

26 Mar 2020, 09:09

mrmola wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 06:17
There seems to be another keyboard made by raytheon listed as well. Any idea why they would make a keyboard with glass switches?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-1 ... SwjKNee~yH
They appear to be some form of magnetic reed. Look almost like Nixie tubes; maybe that's where the idea comes from. I've never seen either this model of keyboard or switch before =o .

jacksonh22

26 Mar 2020, 16:14

This is for the Raytheon PTS-100 terminal. fantastic keyboard!

kralcifer

10 Jun 2020, 08:23

One thing I just noticed is that it appears to be a trait that Micro Switch did with the bookend L-shaped keys. I stumbled upon it in an old DT thread for a Decision Data 8010 as well.

DT wiki for Decision Data 8010

diamond

04 Aug 2020, 19:37

kralcifer, do you still have this Raytheon keyboard nearby?
Can I ask you to make side shots of it, and, if possible, to take a few basic measurements of its dimensions?
I wonder if I would be able to reproduce its look in custom handmade keyboard.

kralcifer

21 Aug 2020, 06:38

diamond wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 19:37
kralcifer, do you still have this Raytheon keyboard nearby?
Can I ask you to make side shots of it, and, if possible, to take a few basic measurements of its dimensions?
I wonder if I would be able to reproduce its look in custom handmade keyboard.
Hi Diamond. Just saw this. DMA has it at the moment. Ping him. I’m sure he’ll check for you.

I’m also interested in making modern custom reproductions. We should chat sometime. I’m eyeballing my first metal mill at the moment for that reason.

John Doe

10 Feb 2021, 13:47

For such keyboards, magnetic valve switches, is it possible to convert or replace the controller to connect it to modern PC? :roll:

thanks.

Return to “Keyboards”