The World is going Pro

TheInverseKey

10 Apr 2020, 18:58

Hi All,

After a year of searching I finally have created the board with one of weirdest switches that has been found the ProWorld switch.

ProWorld switches are a unique switch that mixes MX switches and Alps together.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The switches are pretty rare as there aren't many that have been found in the last few years that I know of. Luckily my persistence has paid off and I was able to get some but the board that came with them was in terrible condition. The original keyboard had a cut cable and the plate was so bent that it wouldn't operate properly if I bent it back into shape. Furthermore, the case was pretty much destroyed as all metal pieces were bent.

Therefore, I decided that I still wanted to use the switches and best option was to put them in a cheap custom that would make the switches sound decent.

The Polaris designed by Ai03 seemed like the perfect build as it was cheap and the mount and plate options that were offered would help with with the sound of the switches in the case.

One thing that I noticed when desoldering and messing around with the switches that the bottom housing of the switches is really not molded great so I had to make sure that I lubed the crap out of the switches in order for them to get back to their original operating feel.

For lube I used 3204 as it would fill in all of the imperfections in the bottom housing guide rails that hold the slider.

Finally, keycaps I found a cheap broken Satellite 4 typewriter that was beyond repair and I know that they have dye sub keycaps that are cherry profile. Only problem is that the caps don't come with modifier keycaps that would work on a modern keyboard, so I waited and joined GMK Mizu as that was the closet set that I could find for a reasonable price.

Here is the final product:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Thanks for reading.

ddrfraser1

10 Apr 2020, 19:49

Bro, this is such an interesting and unique switch that I've never heard of (but always wished existed). I would love to see a typing demo. I hope Chyros gets a chance to review these one day. Thanks for sharing!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

10 Apr 2020, 19:50

Cool, I love unique stuff like this. It's obscure but it has the added bonus of the most popular keycap mount style. IMO the GMK modifiers you used look quite nice with the dye subs. I'd probably go for a different space bar since that color kind of comes out of the blue at you but that's my taste.

Did you get a new camera? Your photos look nice.

TheInverseKey

10 Apr 2020, 20:34

ddrfraser1 wrote:
Bro, this is such an interesting and unique switch that I've never heard of (but always wished existed). I would love to see a typing demo. I hope Chyros gets a chance to review these one day. Thanks for sharing!
I wish that I could ship the board to him but the amount of money that it would cost to ship it across the pond would be insane.

TheInverseKey

10 Apr 2020, 20:38

snacksthecat wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 19:50
Cool, I love unique stuff like this. It's obscure but it has the added bonus of the most popular keycap mount style. IMO the GMK modifiers you used look quite nice with the dye subs. I'd probably go for a different space bar since that color kind of comes out of the blue at you but that's my taste.

Did you get a new camera? Your photos look nice.
Yeah there was no other spacebar colourway that matched as Mizu came with light blue or white. It does match the sublegends in person though.

Yes this is a new camera, I haven't really had an opportunity to use it more until now.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Apr 2020, 20:45

Great final build and aesthetic! The only thing out of place to me is the spacebar, i'd opt for a more navy blue color bar to fit the rest of your theme better.

Do those switches feel like alps? If so, which type? I would guess SKCM black but I'm shooting in the dark here.

ddrfraser1

10 Apr 2020, 21:07

TheInverseKey wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 20:34
ddrfraser1 wrote:
I wish that I could ship the board to him but the amount of money that it would cost to ship it across the pond would be insane.
I know. I wanted him to review hps so bad that I was going to send him mine but the cost was like the same as the switches ;)

ddrfraser1

10 Apr 2020, 21:09

Redmaus wrote:
Great final build and aesthetic! The only thing out of place to me is the spacebar, i'd opt for a more navy blue color bar to fit the rest of your theme better.

Do those switches feel like alps? If so, which type? I would guess SKCM black but I'm shooting in the dark here.
I think the sb looks cool. Matter of opinion I guess. They're clicky so it's probably like white alps but not as good sounding.

TheInverseKey

10 Apr 2020, 22:04

ddrfraser1 wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 21:09
Redmaus wrote:

I think the sb looks cool. Matter of opinion I guess. They're clicky so it's probably like white alps but not as good sounding.
They are a clicky switch for sure and the sound nothing like Alps. I will post a video later as it's hard to describe the sound of these switches.

TheInverseKey

20 Apr 2020, 06:05

Finally got around to making a typing test.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2020, 08:13

those are weirdly sounding switches. they remind me of futaba clicky maybe

Cattus_D

20 Apr 2020, 21:08

I like how these sound! Thank you for the video!

kelvinhall05

20 Apr 2020, 22:19

Such a unique sound, I am in love...where do I find these switches? lol

funkmon

23 Apr 2020, 04:09

Contrary opinion. Those sound terrible. Haha

It's a really cool switch though. That's like a keyboard meetup board. Like, "hey guys, guess what switch this is. $20 to the first guy who gets it."

imdatperson

23 Apr 2020, 04:15

Sounds slightly similar to the clicky HTK Switches I have in an old board- quite a unique switch as well.

TheInverseKey

24 Apr 2020, 21:45

kelvinhall05 wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 22:19
Such a unique sound, I am in love...where do I find these switches? lol
Uhh recycling centers and friends really, I have only seen 3 boards in the last few years.

kshopper2084

25 Apr 2020, 16:30

The spacebar sounds good... :)

Return to “Keyboards”