table2.jpg
table2.jpg (102.41 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
Top part:
table3.jpg
table3.jpg (137.84 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
Insides:
table4.jpg
table4.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 6330 times

The guy who had this also turned out to be huge fan of mainframe computers and generally into vintage computing. He agreed to show me around on his museum after we packed the data station into a delivery van. I simple couldnt take more pictures cause we were kinda hooked into chatting about old vintage computers and computing overall. Link to the pictures are below

https://imgur.com/gallery/7TKl5YH

Ps. Sorry about the quality of the pictures,my phones old camera isnt giving these things enough justice)

Last shot is from my WIP workspace where this thing is now spending its days:

Last edited by Heikkonen on 30 Apr 2020, 09:31, edited 4 times in total.

Invisius

30 Apr 2020, 00:03

Wow what a find! And it's fully intact with all the accessories. Doubt it needs much restoration outside of a good cleaning, I hope you can find an xwhatsit for that wonderful beamdesk.

The collection is just as impressive, so many well kept systems. Still has the manuals, tapes, intact cores for most of those machines too. I especially like the 1710 industrial control system, such a cool looking system and one of the earliest of its kind. Some of those like the 2311 disk drive were incredibly rare even during original production, I can imagine only a handful still exist in the entire world.

#DTA material for me.

JP!

30 Apr 2020, 01:15

Dude, just wow! :shock: And the rest of that collection.

Also forget about converting this. Imagine getting this reconditioned/restored to working order along with some IBM 3740 format 8'' floppy disks, original 3713 printer, and a remote mainframe.
Spoiler:
46914443714_19f66e77bb_o.jpg
46914443714_19f66e77bb_o.jpg (547.12 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Last edited by JP! on 30 Apr 2020, 01:36, edited 2 times in total.

John Doe

30 Apr 2020, 01:28

Glad to see you take it home, Heikkonen.

So now you have a complete 3741 workstation and its little brother 3742 beamer, thats what would happen once in a lifetime. :D :D

And really love the guys collection!!!

SneakyRobb
THINK

30 Apr 2020, 02:01

Wow this is extremely impressive and very cool. Awesome that you got the full station and seeing the rest of that collection is a real treat. Thanks for sharing

ddrfraser1

30 Apr 2020, 02:26

Awe man, I love these things

Excelso

30 Apr 2020, 11:39

So much beauty... Love it.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Apr 2020, 22:11

Such a cool find, congratulations!
JP! wrote:
Also forget about converting this. Imagine getting this reconditioned/restored to working order along with some IBM 3740 format 8'' floppy disks, original 3713 printer, and a remote mainframe.
Yes!

I just found about this the other day: https://github.com/hercules-390/hyperion

Not sure if it's relevant here but I found the project super cool, and it gives a lot of ideas!

Heikkonen

12 May 2020, 23:10

Invisius wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 00:03
Wow what a find! And it's fully intact with all the accessories. Doubt it needs much restoration outside of a good cleaning, I hope you can find an xwhatsit for that wonderful beamdesk.

The collection is just as impressive, so many well kept systems. Still has the manuals, tapes, intact cores for most of those machines too. I especially like the 1710 industrial control system, such a cool looking system and one of the earliest of its kind. Some of those like the 2311 disk drive were incredibly rare even during original production, I can imagine only a handful still exist in the entire world.

#DTA material for me.
I will most likely clean it this week and working towards understanding how it originally operated. I actually have some spare 3741 pcbs made by user __red__ that i could in theory use but i think i try to get it running like it originally did since everything seems to be there to technically make it run.
JP! wrote:
Dude, just wow! :shock: And the rest of that collection.

This would be a dream, for sure this kind of piece deserves more than just basic usb converting. Ill keep me eyes and ears open but this plan is surely a long term one!
John Doe wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 01:28
Glad to see you take it home, Heikkonen.

So now you have a complete 3741 workstation and its little brother 3742 beamer, thats what would happen once in a lifetime. :D :D
And really love the guys collection!!!
Thanks John!

This was truly stunning find and looking forward to getting it running someday. Time will tell how this goes. ALOT of information is needed before i can safely "plug it in"
SneakyRobb wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 02:01

Wow this is extremely impressive and very cool. Awesome that you got the full station and seeing the rest of that collection is a real treat. Thanks for sharing
Thanks! Seeing the collection and passion of this guy was even more cool than actually bringing home the 3741
ddrfraser1 wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 02:26
Awe man, I love these things
I can surely say the same,i never thought these machines would be stationed outside of finnish computer museum.
Excelso wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 11:39
So much beauty... Love it.
I can totally relate to that.
ramnes wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 22:11
Such a cool find, congratulations!
JP! wrote:
Yes!

I just found about this the other day: https://github.com/hercules-390/hyperion

Not sure if it's relevant here but I found the project super cool, and it gives a lot of ideas!
I need to check it out,thanks for sharing!

I havent been able to get into this project cause i was working on my workspace that was mentioned/pictured earlier. Heres an updated panorama view
panorama.jpg
panorama.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 5979 times

ddrfraser1

12 May 2020, 23:20

Heikkonen wrote:

I havent been able to get into this project cause i was working on my workspace that was mentioned/pictured earlier. Heres an updated panorama view
Oh my gosh it will look awesome in there. I want to come to your house. Dream set up.

AJM

13 May 2020, 08:57

I love these keyboards integrated into the desk. It makes beamsprings look so slim. :D

Heikkonen

13 May 2020, 09:35

AJM wrote:
13 May 2020, 08:57
I love these keyboards integrated into the desk. It makes beamsprings look so slim. :D
I can surely confirm this, beamsprings tend to be rather tall cause of the beamspring modules itself have decent height to them. Since 3741/3742 were originally mounted, using them without "proper" setup is quite tedious

Muirium
µ

13 May 2020, 10:23

Definitely. I bet all beamsprings were meant to be sunk inside, rather than sat on top of a desk. The same is very true of “fully weighted”, or as we might say mechanical pianos. I have one of this model myself, and it’s just as thick as my 3278. But, like the picture, I bought it with the integrated desk, which holds it all away quite nicely.

Playing one of these bare on a table? I tried, just once, when I first unboxed it. Not advised! It really wants its friend, the dedicated desk.

Heikkonen

13 May 2020, 12:55

Muirium wrote:
13 May 2020, 10:23
Definitely. I bet all beamsprings were meant to be sunk inside, rather than sat on top of a desk. The same is very true of “fully weighted”, or as we might say mechanical pianos. I have one of this model myself, and it’s just as thick as my 3278. But, like the picture, I bought it with the integrated desk, which holds it all away quite nicely.

Playing one of these bare on a table? I tried, just once, when I first unboxed it. Not advised! It really wants its friend, the dedicated desk.
Ahh didnt you know were into pianos, i dont much about them but i can safely say i believe they weight a ton :lol:
3278 is actually one of my fav beamspring models along with 5251 and 3101, the layouts on those 3 specific boards are def for me personally(If i ever manage to get one)

Heikkonen

13 May 2020, 12:59

ddrfraser1 wrote:
Heikkonen wrote:

Oh my gosh it will look awesome in there. I want to come to your house. Dream set up.
:lol: Feel free to take plane to Finland when corona situation is getting better

ddrfraser1

13 May 2020, 14:59

Heikkonen wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:59
ddrfraser1 wrote:
Heikkonen wrote:

:lol: Feel free to take plane to Finland when corona situation is getting better
As long as I get to go rally driving, I’m there 😉

Return to “Gallery”