Cherry MX Silent Red switch review

Reimu64

16 May 2020, 03:47

Hello guys. This is my review on a silent Cherry switch which turned out to be great!

Muirium
µ

16 May 2020, 12:22

One problem with silent reds—which I otherwise quite like—is their extra creaky springs. MX does have a creak to it, but silent reds seem to really bring it out. My silent red Filco is anything but silent on many keys!

We discussed it recently here.

Reimu64

16 May 2020, 16:19

Muirium wrote:
16 May 2020, 12:22
One problem with silent reds—which I otherwise quite like—is their extra creaky springs. MX does have a creak to it, but silent reds seem to really bring it out. My silent red Filco is anything but silent on many keys!

We discussed it recently here.
I experienced this for the first 3-4 days which was a little disappointing, but it’s not so noticeable after a week. With that said, I’m typing on the Cherry MX Silent Black right now and the creakiness isn’t as annoying, and I suspect it’s the spring rubbing against the housing. Lube may fix this issue, but I want to preserve the original feel of the switches, so I won’t do that.

It’s going to suck if you’re going to have to desolder all the switches on your board just to lube them. I don’t think it’s worth it, unless you really love that board.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2020, 16:47

Indeed. I’ve put a few months of typing onto that board over the couple of years I’ve had it. But it’s a pale shadow of the NovaTouch it’s stored alongside, and gets less use because.

I also really dislike the fixed cable. But that’s not the switches fault!

Return to “Keyboards”