Maltron single-handed keyboard review (Cherry MX Black)

Chyros

23 May 2020, 11:16

I think you can already guess what's coming :p . Hope you enjoy the video!

kelvinhall05

23 May 2020, 23:12

I love how this board is already fucking horrible and then they go ahead and make it worse with the build quality that makes a Cherry G80-3000 look like it's built like an Omnikey.

You should make a video gaming on it :lol:

Findecanor

24 May 2020, 03:51

I think the swearing and the hate on special-needs keyboards has gone a bit out of hand.

It's not interesting and it's not entertaining.

Edit: I'm sorry. That above was a twitch response, for Chyros himself and for those who would have the intelligence to understand what it meant and not write their own twitch-responses to everything in return.
In more words for those of small brain who may not have understood what I meant:

I usually enjoy his videos, but it felt like this particular video was more about swearing just for fan-service than about the keyboard as such.
While this may be a flawed keyboard, I think he could have tried a little more to understand what the designers had been trying to accomplish with the keyboard, and to take into account the context in which it has been produced, before starting to throw shit on it.
This video felt cheap, like a low-effort job more hastily thrown together — in comparison to the standard that I expect from his videos.
I hope this video is not representative of a trend, and I wish Chyros would put his usual level of effort into the content of his reviews in the future. I know that he has the ability to produce better content than this particular video.

Several times, I have also linked to various of Chyros' videos as part of responses to questions on forums, because I thought that Chyros' video in those cases had good relevant information, in both words and image. But if the channel is going to have too many expletives, then I won't feel comfortable with doing that in the future.
Last edited by Findecanor on 27 May 2020, 01:50, edited 6 times in total.

kelvinhall05

24 May 2020, 04:06

Findecanor wrote:
I think the swearing and the hate on special-needs keyboards has gone a bit out of hand.

While I see where you're coming from, they could've done this in a much better way. Start by building it well, then by making it slightly more of a standard qwerty, and then focus on it being usable with one hand (which a normal keyboard I'd say already is, but that's just my opinion).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 May 2020, 08:17

Findecanor wrote:

I wouldn't have opened the video without this comment.
And to be honest, I stopped watching some time after the flurry of impecations (at ~1:18 of 16:19) coming shortly after saying "[…] it was developed as an ergonomic keyboard for one-handed people […]" and starting with:
[…] fuck me, I think I’d have it bad enough if I lost one of my limbs without having to use a manifest nightmare like this piece of motherfuckness […]
(I prefer not to quote it in its entirety).

[ad hominem rant]
Obviously Chyros has now become one of those YouTube influencers with an audience large enough to generate notable income and also attract advertisers for even more income, and thus feeling authoritative enough, a celebrity somehow compelled to be different from others and do such things as, for example, making fun (at ~2:32) of a head/mouth stick keyboard intended "for someone with no hands at all".

Somehow I feel sorry that this post will bump the thread and motivate people to watch the video,
thus generating more undeserved income for Chyros.
[/end of ad hominem rant]

t8c

24 May 2020, 13:12

I think the review gets way better once you get the swearing out of the way. From 6 minutes it's a solid and interesting video!

funkmon

25 May 2020, 02:47

kbdfr wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

And to be honest, I stopped watching some time after the flurry of impecations (at ~1:18 of 16:19) coming shortly after saying "[…] it was developed as an ergonomic keyboard for one-handed people […]" and starting with:
[…] fuck me, I think I’d have it bad enough if I lost one of my limbs without having to use a manifest nightmare like this piece of motherfuckness […]

[ad hominem rant]
Obviously Chyros has now become one of those YouTube influencers with an audience large enough to generate notable income and also attract advertisers for even more income, and thus feeling authoritative enough, a celebrity somehow compelled to be different from others and do such things as, for example, making fun (at ~2:32) of a head/mouth stick keyboard intended "for someone with no hands at all".

Somehow I feel sorry that this post will bump the thread and motivate people to watch the video,
He's joking, and I genuinely agree with him in some respects. There was a time when I only had the use of my left hand, and I was able to type on a normal Qwerty layout at like 60 WPM. It's not hard, and that layout is absolutely terrible. In my opinion, they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and the awful layout genuinely exarcerbates that problem. I don't know if I spelled that word right.

I'd like to see reviews from people who actually only have one hand, and see what they think. It can't be good. It's not like it's particularly difficult to type one handed on a normal layout.

kelvinhall05

25 May 2020, 02:52

funkmon wrote:
25 May 2020, 02:47
kbdfr wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

[ad hominem rant]

He's joking, and I genuinely agree with him in some respects. There was a time when I only had the use of my left hand, and I was able to type on a normal Qwerty layout at like 60 WPM. It's not hard, and that layout is absolutely terrible. In my opinion, they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and the awful layout genuinely exarcerbates that problem. I don't know if I spelled that word right.

I'd like to see reviews from people who actually only have one hand, and see what they think. It can't be good. It's not like it's particularly difficult to type one handed on a normal layout.
Agreed. Occasionally I will be eating with one hand and typing with the other and I get about half my normal speed (lol). Hell, even if they used a sort of normal layout, the build quality is terrible (rather, there is none), the keycaps are awful, the switches are extremely mediocre, and it's absurdly overpriced.

Also, for the people who are offended by the swearing, he included a WANING at the beginning. Should've stopped watching there :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 May 2020, 17:37

By the way, I have a Braille keyboard. It weighs a ton, has Cherry MX blacks, some keys in rather odd locations
and whole rows of small metallic needles protruding out of the case beneath the keys on the whole width of the board.
Spoiler:
Braille keyboard.jpg
Braille keyboard.jpg (255.08 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
Anybody interested in finding it absolutely terrible - that is, without being blind?

After all, the video also makes fun of the following keyboard, which is intended for people
"with no hands at all", as Chyros delicately puts it:
Spoiler:
Maltron head or mouth stick keyboard.jpg
Maltron head or mouth stick keyboard.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 9903 times

Chyros

26 May 2020, 12:45

Why in the fuck are you still watching anyway? xD

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 May 2020, 13:52

Chyros wrote:
Why [not a friend of expletives, I am fond of real language] don’t you read my posts?
kbdfr wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

And to be honest, I stopped watching some time after the flurry of impecations […]
[emphasis added]

kelvinhall05

26 May 2020, 14:16

kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Why [not a friend of expletives, I am fond of real language] don’t you read my posts?
kbdfr wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

And to be honest, I stopped watching some time after the flurry of impecations […]
[emphasis added]
I think his point is that you shouldn't watch videos you don't like and then just whine about them. I thought it was an enjoyable video. I don't mind the swearing, and I completely agree that
1. you can use a normal keyboard even one-handed
2. even if you wanted a special one-handed ergo, this one is terrible; bad switches, horrible build quality, unusable layout, etc

Chyros

26 May 2020, 14:47

kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Findecanor wrote:

[emphasis added]
I don't care one whit about what you have to say mate, you've been doing nothing but whining at me for years now xD . Kevin hit it on the head; I'm just genuinely amazed you still watch my videos if you find them so unbearable :p .

Either way, watch them or don't, and comment on them or don't, I don't care in the slightest :p .

(P.S. I'm not going to read whatever you reply either, so if you want to try to make some kind of point, don't bother :p )

Myoth

26 May 2020, 15:30

kelvinhall05 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

[emphasis added]
I think his point is that you shouldn't watch videos you don't like and then just whine about them. I thought it was an enjoyable video. I don't mind the swearing, and I completely agree that
2. even if you wanted a special one-handed ergo, this one is terrible; bad switches, horrible build quality, unusable layout, etc
I think his point is that you shouldn't watch videos you don't like and then just whine about them.
good job, you have destroyed the whole point of criticism. oh you don't like this movie ? then don't explain why, you shouldn't have gone !

1. you can shove a while bottle of coke up your arse, does it mean you should ?
- it's terrible based on a single bloke's review on the internet ? sounds like a valid fact
- the switches might not be to your liking, but I won't dwell into that ; the build quality is deplorable, but at such a low quantity of production, you can't expect much more
- unusable layout, for someone that does not need such a device, it's like using crutches and saying how better walking just is, sure, it is, but if you needed crutches you wouldn't have the ability of walking, rendering the former criticism completely useless

I've had one of those, and I tried using it for a while, and guess what ? I would say the same things about it .... if it weren't marketed for people with handicaps, which is not my case, I can't judge something not made for me, it's completely besides the point

kelvinhall05

26 May 2020, 15:59

Myoth wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

[emphasis added]
I think his point is that you shouldn't watch videos you don't like and then just whine about them.
good job, you have destroyed the whole point of criticism. oh you don't like this movie ? then don't explain why, you shouldn't have gone !

- it's terrible based on a single bloke's review on the internet ? sounds like a valid fact
- the switches might not be to your liking, but I won't dwell into that ; the build quality is deplorable, but at such a low quantity of production, you can't expect much more
- unusable layout, for someone that does not need such a device, it's like using crutches and saying how better walking just is, sure, it is, but if you needed crutches you wouldn't have the ability of walking, rendering the former criticism completely useless

I've had one of those, and I tried using it for a while, and guess what ? I would say the same things about it .... if it weren't marketed for people with handicaps, which is not my case, I can't judge something not made for me, it's completely besides the point
1. Not sure how anal with a coke bottle is supposedly as bad as using a normal qwerty one-handed (cause it's not hard, try it sometime)
2. Low production run? Yes. High price? Yes. No excuse for something that probably cost $3 to make and it clearly shows.
3. As said above, using a normal qwerty one-handed is totally possible. Not sure why someone should have to relearn a keyboard layout and torture themselves with that horrribly built piece of shit just because it's marketed as one-handed.

Myoth

26 May 2020, 16:06

kelvinhall05 wrote:
Myoth wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:

1. Not sure how anal with a coke bottle is supposedly as bad as using a normal qwerty one-handed (cause it's not hard, try it sometime)
2. Low production run? Yes. High price? Yes. No excuse for something that probably cost $3 to make and it clearly shows.
3. As said above, using a normal qwerty one-handed is totally possible. Not sure why someone should have to relearn a keyboard layout and torture themselves with that horrribly built piece of shit just because it's marketed as one-handed.

Chyros

26 May 2020, 16:12

kelvinhall05 wrote:
As said above, using a normal qwerty one-handed is totally possible. Not sure why someone should have to relearn a keyboard layout and torture themselves with that horrribly built piece of shit just because it's marketed as one-handed.
Exactly!

zrrion

26 May 2020, 18:01

It would have been nice to see you try a layout that was similar to standard qwerty just as a sort of confirmation that the board's physical layout, even when as familiar as possible, was bad. It would have been a more thorough review in my opinion.

Wazrach

26 May 2020, 19:16

zrrion wrote:
26 May 2020, 18:01
It would have been nice to see you try a layout that was similar to standard qwerty just as a sort of confirmation that the board's physical layout, even when as familiar as possible, was bad. It would have been a more thorough review in my opinion.
That's a great point. It's a shame the sniveling, bitter critics of Chyros can't give friendly, constructive criticism.

Wazrach

26 May 2020, 19:18

W-w-well actually s-swearing is not funny therefore you shouldn't get any views and I hate you!!1

kelvinhall05

26 May 2020, 19:28

Wazrach wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:18
W-w-well actually s-swearing is not funny therefore you shouldn't get any views and I hate you!!1
Yes, very disrespectful! I watch these videos with my children! Next time, please include a WANING at the start of the video about the sweari...oh wait

webwit
Wild Duck

26 May 2020, 21:55

This thread: :lol:
littletikes.jpg
littletikes.jpg (147.07 KiB) Viewed 9565 times

Wazrach

26 May 2020, 23:31

dogmantime wrote:
26 May 2020, 20:42
chyros fanboys smh
don't.

ZedTheMan

27 May 2020, 00:13

That bird has sunglasses with many right angles. Therefore it is always correct for being so right.

ddrfraser1

27 May 2020, 01:26

Lol, not that he needs defending but I agree with all the people defending the vid. It’s kind of his brand and he does give a warning so like whataya expect? There is no one creating content as good as him.

Keep going Chyros, if it weren’t for you I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am with keyboards today.

-Yours truly, an easily outraged Chyros fanboy ✊🏻✊🏻🔥🔥

samuelcable

27 May 2020, 11:26

Chyros wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
As said above, using a normal qwerty one-handed is totally possible. Not sure why someone should have to relearn a keyboard layout and torture themselves with that horrribly built piece of shit just because it's marketed as one-handed.
Exactly!
using a wheelchair must be useless if crawling on the floor is totally possible

Chyros

27 May 2020, 14:35

samuelcable wrote:
27 May 2020, 11:26
Chyros wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
Exactly!
using a wheelchair must be useless if crawling on the floor is totally possible
Oh come on, that's a rather silly comparison and you know it :p .

I'll point out that several people with the use of only one hand or arm have commented on the video stating that they wouldn't use it - I can't recall anyone with a disability commenting that they liked using it, even. So even if you would take the video particularly seriously, apparently the target audience agrees with me :p .

ddrfraser1

27 May 2020, 15:11

Boom

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 May 2020, 15:37

Threads like these make me feel very nostalgic. Nostalgic for a time where this forum brought me positive emotions rather than negative ones.

Wazrach

27 May 2020, 19:16

photekq wrote:
27 May 2020, 15:37
Threads like these make me feel very nostalgic. Nostalgic for a time where this forum brought me positive emotions rather than negative ones.
Thank you.

Return to “Reviews”