I melted my Model M

Weezer

14 Jun 2020, 19:32

I'm so pissed.

So I moved recently and as a result I had a bunch of my things in my car for a few days. I went to take my Model M out of my car yesterday and I discovered that the side of the case with the number lock has not just warped, but shrunk in size. The number lock overlay will no longer fit in its recess and the IBM badge is now at an angle. You can also see on the outside of the case that that end of the keyboard has shrunk in size by about a millimeter. I'm completely blown away that this was even possible. I knew that these cases could warp if a great deal of heat was applied, like if it was left near open flame, or a hair drier was blown on it, but I live in a temperate climate and the temperature couldn't have gotten much above 85 degrees F. I looked up the melting temperature of PVC and it's apparently around something like 212 F. I'm completely heartbroken that this keyboard has been irreparably damaged. This keyboard was my introduction to my love of nice keyboards and it has a lot of sentimental value because I typed all of my college essays on it. I just wanted to make this post as a warning for everyone that Model Ms despite their durability are apparently extremely sensitive to heat or possibly even UV radiation from the sun.

ddrfraser1

14 Jun 2020, 19:46

Here’s what I googled.

“At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees.” “When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.”

That sucks though.

Weezer

14 Jun 2020, 19:56

ddrfraser1 wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 19:46
Here’s what I googled.

“At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees.” “When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.”

That sucks though.
I mean that makes sense I suppose. The kicker for me is that I stored this keyboard in my car before for a couple days, last summer when I was returning home from school in July and I know it was WAY hotter in there then. That's why I didn't even think twice about leaving it in there. I figured they were indestructible. A hard lesson learned the hard way for me.

EDIT: on the bright side. The bottom tray of the case has been unaffected and no rivets have popped off the barrel plate.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Jun 2020, 03:55

This is perfect opportunity to spring for a $30 industrial replacement case from Unicomp.

JP!

15 Jun 2020, 03:57

fohat wrote:
This is perfect opportunity to spring for a $30 industrial replacement case from Unicomp.
:shock: Stay out of my head. I was literally suggesting the same idea at the same moment.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1394942

funkmon

15 Jun 2020, 06:18

I will third this. I buy one every time I buy something from Unicomp, which is weirdly frequent. I have like 6 fake industrials right now.

That being said, I have a spare grey oval chassis lying around if you want it. $8 and shipping?

Weezer

17 Jun 2020, 09:51

willdean wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 08:30
I am really sorry. I would be pissed too
Thanks man

Weezer

18 Jun 2020, 00:51

funkmon wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 06:18
I will third this. I buy one every time I buy something from Unicomp, which is weirdly frequent. I have like 6 fake industrials right now.

That being said, I have a spare grey oval chassis lying around if you want it. $8 and shipping?
JP! wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 03:57
fohat wrote:
:shock: Stay out of my head. I was literally suggesting the same idea at the same moment.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1394942
fohat wrote:

Thanks guys, especially you funkmon for the generous offer, but I actually already have an authentic industrial M that I've been meaning to sell. :lol: If I restored this keyboard I would want to keep it as a 1390131. I'll probably wait until I find a donor case for sale.

funkmon

18 Jun 2020, 07:34

I...might have something for you there. Watch this space. Ask me in a week.

Weezer

18 Jun 2020, 09:26

funkmon wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 07:34
I...might have something for you there. Watch this space. Ask me in a week.
:shock:
Alright, keep me posted!
I appreciate your generosity and help either way.
Also if it's too much of a hassle it's ok as well. It's not unusably damaged, just damaged cosmetically.

Return to “Keyboards”