Ducky one 2 mini connector broke.

PingQuino

20 Jul 2020, 01:43

Ive been playing a lot with my Ducky keyboard and suddenly the usb-c connection became worse and worse, and my connection was lost after a couple of days. I screwed my keyboard open and i saw that my whole connector broke off my PCB. Can i solder it. What do i need to do? I can solder it but at the bottom of the connector i see a lot of little pins, that are to small to solder. Could somebody help please?

Willy4876

21 Jul 2020, 06:15

I have soldered a good number of high density connectors including USB C. The through hole pins are for connecting the shield of the cable and for giving mechanical strength to the connection. The small pins that you are talking about are the actual power and data carrying pins for USB C. They are almost certainly required. I cannot think of an application where they would not be used.

Yes, it is absolutely possible to solder the connector back to the board, however depending on where the pins are on the connector it may be far harder. If you post a photo of the USB C connector the I can try to give more specific advice.

I am guessing based on you making this post that you have not done any significant amount of soldering on surface mounted components. Based on this you should check out some surface mount soldering videos on youtube first. If you are lucky your connector will have pins that stick out the back (not underneath the connector). If that is the case you can use a technique called drag soldering to rather easily solder pins which would otherwise be too small. Here is a short video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFCDh9BxQU

If you can, you should use something you don't care about for soldering practice before trying it on something special. Personally for soldering practice I go to a thrift store and pick up just about any reasonably modern electronics. I have found that old graphics cards, other computer expansion cards, or RAM sticks are perfect for this.

PingQuino

21 Jul 2020, 13:55

Well here comes the problem, my dad an civil engineer in electronics already tried to solder it back on. But we fucked up, it wont work... What can i do? Can i still resend it for warranty? Thanks a lot for the help btw...

Willy4876

21 Jul 2020, 23:18

That's what I'd try, but I know nothing of Ducky's warranty.

PingQuino

25 Jul 2020, 00:36

I didnt use any flux tho...
I already feel stupid

Willy4876

25 Jul 2020, 01:31

You can probably still try again. If the issue was that you added too much solder or bridged pins then you can use solder wick to remove the excess and try again.

Return to “Keyboards”