What gaming mice work with linux?

Azenzzara

10 May 2019, 12:05

What gaming mice best work with linux and ubuntu? Many/few compatible?

davkol

10 May 2019, 12:27

These days, almost everything should work out of the box, as long as it adheres to the USB HID specification. Many "gaming" mice go beyond that, though, to allow configuration of lights, buttons etc. There are projects that attempt to cover this natively (e.g., OpenRazer mostly for lights in Razer peripherals), but even if it isn't an option, you can misuse Windows images in VirtualBox with direct access to USB devices to change settings in mouse' on-board memory as long as it has one (e.g., Razer usually don't).

Anyway, my favorite is Roccat: decent hardware and Linux drivers from the roccat-tools project (unfortunately though, the author, erazor_de, doesn't have time to maintain it and add new models anymore). So, Kone Pure Military or Kova 2016 are still supported, quite good and available at low cost nowadays, but I don't think AiMO/Owl-Eye/EMP support has been added by someone else.

hook

28 May 2019, 21:46

I agree with everything Devkol said.

I’m also a very happy Roccat Kona Pure owner. A great part part of the Roccat Kona (watch out, that’s not the case with cheaper Roccat mice) is that the mice settings and macros are programmed *into* the mouse itself, so you just need to programme it once somewhere and then all the profiles, settings etc. go with your mouse wherever you plug it in – OS independent :)

jacks

29 May 2019, 12:26

I have a corsair M65. It is solid, reasonably cheap, not too nasty for left handers, and was easy to find.
It can be controlled through the ckb-next open-source software driver for Corsair stuff.

quaker

12 Jul 2020, 13:07

Welp, I've got to recommand Zowie's! Doesn't having a driver means that it works perfectly without one :D

Haquilus

11 Aug 2020, 22:40

The Logitech 900 is an expensive mouse, but I would 10/10 recommend. I bout it because I t has the perfect layout for me, and I never stopped using it because I fell in love. Also I have tested it with Ubuntu and it works there.

Hypersphere

12 Aug 2020, 23:56

I also agree with davkol. In addition, I have used various other gaming mice for years on my setup that includes a mix of Linux, Windows, and Mac computers sharing a keyboard and mouse. I don't game, and so I am indifferent to any gaming features that might require drivers or other software for Linux, and the mice have all worked just fine for me. Currently, I use a Logitech G403, but I have also used various other gaming mice by Cougar, Razer, Steelseries, Zowie, and others on my Linux boxes with no problems.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”