Fixing Local PBT Yellowing on Model M

GivenZane

03 Oct 2020, 21:14

Hi everyone, I have a really nice model M in front of me, sadly though there is a slight bit of yellowing where the cable was pressed up against it for who knows how long. Is there any way to fix that? Other then that spot the board is immaculate and that why its bothering me LOL It's on the front of the case near the lock lights and is may 3cm long by 3mm wide. It looks like someone drew on it with a pale yellow marker LOL It doesn't show up so well in the photo, but its quite easy to notice IRL and it keeps annoying me every time I look at her LOL
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
--Given
_A030174.JPG
_A030174.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 2216 times

Inxie

04 Oct 2020, 00:52

Stupid question but, did you try isopropyl alcohol and just a lot of elbow grease? Since it's a Model M they aren't usually painted plastics (like my Model F), so IPA should be fine on it.

Iwaju

04 Oct 2020, 04:54

how can you put an phonetic alphabet on a keyboard?
(short answer: alternate keyboard layouts/alt gr)

hellothere

04 Oct 2020, 19:30

Inxie wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 00:52
Stupid question but, did you try isopropyl alcohol and just a lot of elbow grease? Since it's a Model M they aren't usually painted plastics (like my Model F), so IPA should be fine on it.
I like the alcohol idea because it's non-abrasive.

* Bit of toothpaste and lint-free cloth. Don't go too overboard on rubbing it over the spot or you'll scratch it.
* Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or equivalent is also really good. Again, don't go overboard on it. The Magic Erasers are essentially a very fine grit piece of wet sandpaper.
* Buy one of my Models M.
* Buy a new Industrial case from Unicomp ($30 US), swap the keyboard innards, and sell the keyboard as a, "Really rare Industrial Model," for $500 on ebay. Take $125 of the earnings and buy a Model M in better condition :D.

wobbled

04 Oct 2020, 22:15

Can confirm I removed rather deep scratches, pen, paint, and other marks with a magic eraser and some water

SneakyRobb
THINK

04 Oct 2020, 23:41

Its either surface or deep. If its surface id follow user hellothere's recommends. If it's deep then its penetrated. Removing might be hard. I would personally try what hellothere recommends.

GivenZane

04 Oct 2020, 23:59

I have try some mildly abrasive stuff. Lysol wipes, Alcohol wipes, and a tooth brush with dawn and water. I haven't had any luck with it. I feel like the cable had some sort of reaction with the case. :/ It's just annoying me to look at LOL Other then that the board is is great shape. I'll give a magic eraser a try later tonight. That's like my last ditch effort with keyboard cleaning :/

Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep you all posted on how it all goes.

Cheers,
--Given

Rayndalf

05 Oct 2020, 01:01

If nothing else works try some Brasso and scrub the area lightly. It will also takes the printing off Legos so don't try it on anything pad printed.

hellothere

05 Oct 2020, 03:17

SneakyRobb wrote:
I would personally try what hellothere recommends.
I'm just imagining that everyone is either a) going to buy a keyboard from me or b) buy an Industrial case, swap out the innards, and sell the result on ebay for $500. That brightens my world view.

wobbled

05 Oct 2020, 22:42

hellothere wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 03:17
SneakyRobb wrote:
I would personally try what hellothere recommends.
I'm just imagining that everyone is either a) going to buy a keyboard from me or b) buy an Industrial case, swap out the innards, and sell the result on ebay for $500. That brightens my world view.
As long as they buy one of the black badges for it that I have left ;)

Return to “Keyboards”