ISO PBT double shot key caps?

WarningHPB

06 Oct 2020, 11:42

I've been struggling to find some PBT double shot key caps that are in the ISO layout that are just plain black and white for the lettering.

Does any one have any ideas or can point me in the right direction?

I'd even settle for some grey/darker grey colours, I just don't want a neon disco party on my keyboard

kmnov2017

06 Oct 2020, 14:23

https://www.keyboardco.com/product/doub ... keyset.asp - These are ABS though...

And PBT double shots, but not as good looking https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=4189

mode1ace

06 Oct 2020, 15:19

pbt does not doubleshot well, you usually only see pbt doubleshots with shine through lettering.

if you want opaque doubleshots you’ll need abs, or just accept dyesubs.

WarningHPB

06 Oct 2020, 21:28

Those Ducky double shots look alright, only down side is the postage to the UK is almost as expensive as the keycap set themselves

How are dye subs? I have a seen a few and like one or two (keycaps) of them wear down with really frequent use but not heard that much about them so I would guess that's a good thing?

Any recommendations on the dye sub front?

Riverman

07 Oct 2020, 00:32

Good dye subs will last nearly forever. The old ones from the '90s, like Apple keycaps, show little to no signs of wear, even after 20+years of use, and Topre's dye subbed keycaps are right up there. Unfortunately there's no way to know with the Chinese ones until someone uses them and reports on how they hold up.

Tai Hao makes a fair numbers of PBT doubleshot ISO keycap sets, or at least ISO add-ons for their regular keycaps, but none in white on black. They do have a doubleshot white on black ABS set that's extremely cheap, but still good, but it's ABS and will shine up fairly quickly.

WarningHPB

07 Oct 2020, 09:32

I've been looking and finding pbt keycap sets that I like and then find out that it doesn't have the 8 key UK ISO add-ons only like one or two of them instead of like the image below:

I'm thinking it might be easier to just get that Ducky ISO UK set that was posted previous.

I've messaged a few sellers about the Tai Hao sets to see if they have the UK ISO add-ons but none of them have given me a solid answer

Edit: changed wall'o'text to simple picture

jeroen94704

08 Oct 2020, 23:34

I recently bought a couple of pretty extensive dye-subbed PBT sets off Aliexpress that includes all but the R4 keys in your picture. Maybe that's an acceptable compromise?

hellothere

09 Oct 2020, 19:26

Riverman wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 00:32
Good dye subs will last nearly forever. The old ones from the '90s, like Apple keycaps, show little to no signs of wear, even after 20+years of use, and Topre's dye subbed keycaps are right up there. Unfortunately there's no way to know with the Chinese ones until someone uses them and reports on how they hold up.

Tai Hao makes a fair numbers of PBT doubleshot ISO keycap sets, or at least ISO add-ons for their regular keycaps, but none in white on black. They do have a doubleshot white on black ABS set that's extremely cheap, but still good, but it's ABS and will shine up fairly quickly.
I was also going to mention Tai-Hao. Some of my vintage keyboards even have Tai-Hao caps.

One thing about dye-sub is that the lettering in some can change color a bit. Example is my 1990 Model M. The black lettering is now dark purple. I suppose I could have a rare set of keycaps, but I kinda doubt it. I had another Model M around the same age that had the same problem. You have to get extremely close to see it, tho.

Return to “Keyboards”