How to Restore Bottom Plate IBM Model F?

hifiguy99

08 Oct 2020, 03:42

Hi all,

I am currently restoring two Model F XTs in rusty condition. The bottom plate has rust along the edges with a few sporadic spots on the plate. Can I sand these out or dissolve the rust in evaporust? How do you guys suggest in treating it afterwards? Can it be painted? Should I just spray on some enamel afterwards and call it a day? What have others done?

I've considered contacting a local company for anodizing/coating but I am not about to spend that money so DIY would be the way to go. I have been reading many restoration guides and it looks like I know the plan for the rest of the keyboard it's just this part I have not seen some good general consensus on.

zzxx53

08 Oct 2020, 03:53

I personally recommend wirebrush if you have large areas of rust, before soaking in evaporust.
https://www.amazon.com/TILAX-Cleaning-S ... 07Z4NLJ2Y/

Primer + Enamel has worked well for me, powder coating is even better. All depends on your budget.

Model F cleans up very nicely. Good luck with your project.
viewtopic.php?p=465602#p465602

hifiguy99

08 Oct 2020, 04:14

zzxx53 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 03:53
I personally recommend wirebrush if you have large areas of rust, before soaking in evaporust.
https://www.amazon.com/TILAX-Cleaning-S ... 07Z4NLJ2Y/

Primer + Enamel has worked well for me, powder coating is even better. All depends on your budget.

Model F cleans up very nicely. Good luck with your project.
viewtopic.php?p=465602#p465602
That post is about the top barrel plate. Is it okay to apply the same logic to the bottom plate with yellow zinc plating? I don't want to ruin the coating if I don't have to, but I also don't want the rust to spread

zzxx53

08 Oct 2020, 04:59

After rust is removed there will likely be pits left on the plate, and exposed metal will not remain rust free for long. Some type of coating is usually needed for durability.
You can try to find a place to redo the Chromate conversion coating on the pate for you, but it probably won't be cheap.

Return to “Workshop”