F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Theallknowingsause

24 Sep 2020, 01:37

Thank you everybody who answered my question, no doubt that I am going to get one for my birthday (it's tomorrow but I am going to wait until payday to actually buy it)

I might even get that solenoid mod thing, that looks fun!

slothmosh

25 Sep 2020, 02:37

Could I get an invite to the QMK beta please?

Elrick

25 Sep 2020, 12:17

Scarpia wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 07:42
Tritian wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 23:13
@scarpia, would love to see a pic of yours with that ibm badge
Here are a few pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/u57xHAs

Would rather see the REAL creator of this keyboard and his name Ellipse.

Hence I shall never disregard all his efforts by using another, failed company's insignia. Don't ever, pay respects to LAZY-ass cretins who walked away from the Model-F design and construction, on American Soil.

Will instead make a plate with 'Ellipse's' name on it at our local Trophy Store. They specialize in making small name plates in Silver, Gold or Black plate.

Always tell the TRUTH and never delude ourselves with this ongoing Gas Lighting of Model-F 2020 manufacturing here.

Salute the REAL person here making this happen, not the myth of a failed Company that turned it's back on all it's Model-F supporters.

Shihatsu

25 Sep 2020, 12:46

U mad?

edit: no offense intended, the meme just came to my mind :D

OxC0FFEE

25 Sep 2020, 16:25

I'm no Paul Rand, but perhaps something like this?
ellipse.png
ellipse.png (1.06 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
(please excuse hasty preview and use of copycat "Men In Blue" font)

OxC0FFEE

25 Sep 2020, 16:38

I want to clarify: in no way am I suggesting we use that quick and dirty preview as-is. I downloaded the font and it's not bad rendering to blame for the unevenness, the bars really are inconsistent widths 🤯

I will do this with a proper grid, fix up some of the letterforms, and make a real logotype, should it come to that.
Last edited by OxC0FFEE on 28 Sep 2020, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Sep 2020, 17:07

If you buy an expensive Ermenegildo Zegna suit, does it have branding on it? No, it isn't an Adidas track suit.

OxC0FFEE

25 Sep 2020, 17:38

Ok I couldn't help it. Whipped up a logo based on Berthold City Medium with some tweaks. One with (vertical) serifs, one without.
Ellipse logo.png
Ellipse logo.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
Ellipse logo with serifs.png
Ellipse logo with serifs.png (14.18 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
I think I like the one without vertical serifs better. It feels more in the spirit of Rand's IBM logo. Thoughts?

darkcruix

25 Sep 2020, 23:07

Can you do a version of
- MODEL F LABS
- F62
- F77
?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

26 Sep 2020, 18:10

Elrick wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 12:17

Hence I shall never disregard all his efforts by using another, failed company's insignia. Don't ever, pay respects to LAZY-ass cretins who walked away from the Model-F design and construction, on American Soil.

Will instead make a plate with 'Ellipse's' name on it at our local Trophy Store. They specialize in making small name plates in Silver, Gold or Black plate.

Always tell the TRUTH and never delude ourselves with this ongoing Gas Lighting of Model-F 2020 manufacturing here.

Salute the REAL person here making this happen, not the myth of a failed Company that turned it's back on all it's Model-F supporters.
Yeah IBM decided to ditch hardware entirely and decided to hire more indian than US programmers, I don't really think they deserve the credit for this.

OxC0FFEE

27 Sep 2020, 00:12

darkcruix wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 23:07
Can you do a version of
- MODEL F LABS
- F62
- F77
?
Sure, I'll work on those. Should be able to have them done tomorrow sometime.

Pete

27 Sep 2020, 03:23

Ellipse's signature inside the case would have been cool. Understated but awesome like signatures inside some early computers (Amiga?)

Elrick

28 Sep 2020, 05:21

Pete wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 03:23
Ellipse's signature inside the case would have been cool. Understated but awesome like signatures inside some early computers (Amiga?)
Wouldn't mind seeing Ellipse's REAL signature, on the casing instead.

Always value the REAL effort gone into the project, instead of 'make-believe' PR stories (the new normal).

OxC0FFEE

28 Sep 2020, 15:57

As requested:
F62 logo.png
F62 logo.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
no serifs on the 77
no serifs on the 77
F77.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
with serifs on the 77
with serifs on the 77
F77 with serifs.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
model f labs logo.png
model f labs logo.png (30.36 KiB) Viewed 6810 times

ddh716

28 Sep 2020, 23:54

Perhaps a little more spacing? "Model Flabs?

OxC0FFEE

29 Sep 2020, 03:35

ddh716 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 23:54
Perhaps a little more spacing? "Model Flabs?
Point well taken. Images fixed up to fix small errors (attached in zipfile) and spacing changed to fix "Model Flabs"
model f labs logo.png
model f labs logo.png (30.44 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
Attachments
modern model f keyboard logos.zip
(72.81 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

OxC0FFEE

29 Sep 2020, 04:35

Scarpia's board with "MODEL F LABS" insignia mockup:
Scarpia's with mockup.jpg
Scarpia's with mockup.jpg (637.83 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
It's a bit gaudy. Frankly I think I'd prefer a more understated F62 or F77.

depletedvespene

29 Sep 2020, 05:02

OxC0FFEE wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 04:35
Frankly I think I'd prefer a more understated F62 or F77.
This is why my intention is that, when the dyesubs come out, my keyboard will have "F77" keys instead of "Fn" keys.

dcopellino

29 Sep 2020, 08:39

Very interesting marketing experiment. Customers want to recognize themselves into a logo despite their product could be considered as a unique specimen, as it maybe was in the intention of its creator, originally. No logo branding doesn't exist with all due respect to Naomi Klein theory.

wobbled

29 Sep 2020, 12:46

Why do these keyboards even need branding?
They're simply clones of an earlier IBM product, so to plaster someone else's name over what is ultimately a different companies design is quite disrespectful.

gianni

29 Sep 2020, 14:38

wobbled wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 12:46
Why do these keyboards even need branding?
They're simply clones of an earlier IBM product, so to plaster someone else's name over what is ultimately a different companies design is quite disrespectful.
Agreed. Furthermore it's like stealing/ disowning someone else's design. It doesn't matter that there's no copyright on some parts of it. Paternity lives on.

BucklingSprings

29 Sep 2020, 17:35

Leaving all these arguments aside - what most of us agree on is that we should
be grateful for Ellipse (and contributing volunteers) for having created something
outstanding.

Thanks, volunteers and particularly Ellipse, for pulling off this really monumental feat that
made it possible for so many of us to enjoy this world-class-quality typists-dream-come-true.

That's how I think about these keyboards.

darkcruix

29 Sep 2020, 18:24

BucklingSprings wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 17:35
Leaving all these arguments aside - what most of us agree on is that we should
be grateful for Ellipse (and contributing volunteers) for having created something
outstanding.

Thanks, volunteers and particularly Ellipse, for pulling off this really monumental feat that
made it possible for so many of us to enjoy this world-class-quality typists-dream-come-true.

That's how I think about these keyboards.
I can only chime in - this epic and complex work he has coordinated and executed is something I can't even imagine doing. IBM had an engineering group with a lot of resources to perfect the manufacturing. Here, it was a more or less one-man-show. I bow to Ellipse for the effort and what he has accomplished.

clstrfsck

29 Sep 2020, 20:56

pandrew

30 Sep 2020, 10:55

clstrfsck wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 20:56
Hey guys,

If you want a QMK beta invite, please PM me.
If you just post here, I might not notice.
clstrfsck, see your PMs.

Andrei

Ellipse

01 Oct 2020, 03:46

Here is the Brand New Model F September Update – shipping milestone, dye sub success, next container shipment, solenoid installation video, firmware:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

This month the 500th Brand New Model F Keyboard shipped! This is a major milestone for the project.

It is a great summary of the happenings of the project since the prior update last month. Great summary for those who have not been following the project threads too closely in recent weeks.

The logos and renderings look nice. It would be cool if everyone who wanted to could put their own initials on their new Model F keyboards!

People may like a buckling spring patent type like the one posted on the project web site, though with a square silver logo badge like the old IBM keyboards. Below is the artwork created for the project by a forum member.

I do like webwit's analogy! I think the final round will continue to have no visible branding on the product itself.
animation-final-black.gif
animation-final-black.gif (299.88 KiB) Viewed 6237 times
animation-complex-final.gif
animation-complex-final.gif (297.83 KiB) Viewed 6237 times

Gurbsordidity

04 Oct 2020, 02:01

Just occurred to me how suggestive those gifs are. Cannot unsee.

robo

09 Oct 2020, 19:35

Related question - does anyone here who has received their keyboard use a keyboard tray? Wondering how the nearly 9lbs weight affects the tray...

wobbled

10 Oct 2020, 00:03

robo wrote:
Related question - does anyone here who has received their keyboard use a keyboard tray? Wondering how the nearly 9lbs weight affects the tray...
It's time to build yourself a custom desk out of bricks and steel my guy.

darkcruix

10 Oct 2020, 00:38

wobbled wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 00:03
robo wrote:
It's time to build yourself a custom desk out of bricks and steel my guy.
Just recently built the below and I can tell you ... I had to add massive screw anchors into the wall ....
IMG_3755.jpeg
IMG_3755.jpeg (102.68 KiB) Viewed 5401 times

Return to “Group buys”