Model M's lighter then White Alps???

GivenZane

15 Oct 2020, 21:09

Hey Everyone,
I wanted to know your guys experiences with the weighting on white Alps? I recently switched back to one of my Model M's after a couple weeks of using a Northgate Omnikey Ultra and a Focus FK-2001 and I was surprised how light the Model M feels by comparison. According to the wiki they should be around the same weighting (Around 70g) but the M's feel significantly lighter. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't mind heavy boards because I'm a fairly heavy typist, but the Alps take their toll after a while. The M's on the other hand don't bother me at all even after multiple hours of typing. It was just something odd I noticed and wanted to see if it was just me or if my White alps are that dirty LOL I haven't done a complete switch cleaning yet on them.

Cheers,
--Given

xxhellfirexx

15 Oct 2020, 22:30

What year was the Model M keyboard made in? Which factory did it come from?
Was the Model M bolt modded?
Are these complicated white Alps or simplified white Alps?
How much use did these keyboards have previously? Was it bought new or used?
What condition were the keyboards in originally? Clean or dirty?

Yasu0

15 Oct 2020, 23:05

How does your keypad and nav cluster feel? F keys?

hellothere

16 Oct 2020, 00:54

What is your favorite color?

GivenZane

16 Oct 2020, 06:54

Hey Everyone!
xxhellfirexx wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 22:30
What year was the Model M keyboard made in? Which factory did it come from?
Was the Model M bolt modded?
Are these complicated white Alps or simplified white Alps?
How much use did these keyboards have previously? Was it bought new or used?
What condition were the keyboards in originally? Clean or dirty?
I have a half dozen model Ms ranging from 86 to 93. I'm not sure where they were made without getting them all out.
None of my Ms are bolt modded yet. I have a 401 set aside for that due to damaged membrane.
I should have specified they are both SKCM Complicated Alps without slits.
I bought them for about 2USD each second hand about 5 weeks ago?
They keyboards were dirty as in dusty. They looked like they'd been stored in an attic for a couple decades. The dust was on the body and caps, but the mounting plates were surprisingly clean considering the rest of them.
Yasu0 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 23:05
How does your keypad and nav cluster feel? F keys?
All of the switches in the number pad, nav cluster, and F keys feel about the same as all the other switches. There is slight variation between switches, but it's minor and you don't notice when typing. You only notice when comparing single presses side by side.
hellothere wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 00:54
What is your favorite color?
My favourite colour is hard to choose. I am still exploring the alps world. I have only used complicated Blacks, Green, Yellows, and Whites. I really like the crisp tactility of the whites, but love the relaxed typing nature of greens. I'm not really sure which is my favourite because I use both depending on my mood.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!
Cheers,
--Given

mode1ace

16 Oct 2020, 07:38

Yeah, bamboo alps are a little stiffer generally than buckling spring. Pine white alps are marginally lighter, there's not much in it though.

GivenZane

16 Oct 2020, 21:13

mode1ace wrote:
Yeah, bamboo alps are a little stiffer generally than buckling spring. Pine white alps are marginally lighter, there's not much in it though.
It was just odd to me. I have used black alps extensively in the past without an issue. The weighting feels quite similar after I dug out my AT101 to compare. That's what makes me think it's the tactility?

mode1ace

17 Oct 2020, 08:18

GivenZane wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 21:13
mode1ace wrote:
It was just odd to me. I have used black alps extensively in the past without an issue. The weighting feels quite similar after I dug out my AT101 to compare. That's what makes me think it's the tactility?
Yeah, the click/tactile leaf contributes considerably to the weight.

Return to “Keyboards”