Quest Versakey programmable keyboard

Jesseg

18 Oct 2020, 08:09

Hey DT.
Recently picked up this Quest Versakey keyboard and thought it was interesting enough to share.
Quest International Computers is what seems to be a now defunct Australian computer company. According to the label, this keyboard was made in Australia in early 1994.
The Versakey is an AT compatible 165 key programmable keyboard that supports the use of 120 macros, across two layers of 60 keys and up to 14,000 keystrokes, macro delay function and can even be locked with a password.
It has PCB mounted MX Vintage black switches (Including the 64 extra keys at the top) with diodes soldered into each switch giving full NKRO.
The layout is pretty standard with a big enter key and a single unit backspace :roll:
It only has the left side function cluster but the F keys can be mapped to the macro keys along the top.
These keyboards seem pretty uncommon and are certainly a cool board so if you're 'down under and come across one certainly pick it up!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Oct 2020, 09:10

Now that's a nice keyboard for professional use.
Are you actually able to program it?

Jesseg

18 Oct 2020, 09:46

kbdfr wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 09:10
Now that's a nice keyboard for professional use.
Are you actually able to program it?
Yes :) goes like this
Learn key (learn LED blinking) - macro key to be assigned to ( learn LED solid ) - keystrokes to be assigned - learn key (LED off)
layer 2 accessed by cartridge key

Dingster

18 Oct 2020, 13:44

Incredible board with awesome switches, sick find :shock:

Rayndalf

19 Oct 2020, 00:12

That's a great board. NKRO + driverless macro creation is a great combo.

The case has a similar front bezel to a G80-3000, could you get a shot of the side profile?

Jesseg

19 Oct 2020, 03:13

Rayndalf wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 00:12
That's a great board. NKRO + driverless macro creation is a great combo.

The case has a similar front bezel to a G80-3000, could you get a shot of the side profile?
I agree! It is quite similar, the back seems to be a lot flatter than the G80-3xxx though as it doesn't have the angled bit

Rayndalf

19 Oct 2020, 11:20

That looks great, it could almost pass for a Cherry product (except, you know with a sensible macro creation process). How are the keycaps printed?

Jesseg

19 Oct 2020, 13:09

Rayndalf wrote:
That looks great, it could almost pass for a Cherry product (except, you know with a sensible macro creation process). How are the keycaps printed?
They're doubleshot ABS, not sure who makes them but I know I recognize the type, they have the diamond cross-hatch on the underside of them

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Oct 2020, 17:54

Rayndalf wrote:
[…] it could almost pass for a Cherry product (except, you know with a sensible macro creation process). […]
For your information, such programming "on the fly" is exactly the way the Cherry G80-2100 und its successor G81-8301 work(ed), except that in addition there is(was) a software application to store, retrieve, modify and/or create a programmed configuration.

I probably wouldn’t have replaced my G80-2100 with a Tipro if I had had such a Quest Versakey programmable keyboard.
On the other hand, a Tipro allows you to freelly program every key including the alphas and modifiers (and even the spacebar), not just a limited number of keys, and programming is not limited to what is available on the keyboard itself.
Plus, you can extend the keyboard with extra modules.
Spoiler:
5 years old miserable photo of my Tipro (which still is my daily driver, even if largely reprogrammed):

Rayndalf

19 Oct 2020, 23:13

The additional keys on the G80-1600 and G80-2100 always scared me a bit (and the lack of clear labels lead me to assume it was a mess). The workflow of the Versakey seems a bit easier (but I could really be worse). Obviously a 'hybrid' solution is better so you can record simple macros easily but have a GUI for the more tedious stuff.

From the moment it arrived I've had no idea what to do with my Tipro board, but the build quality is fantastic (the previous owner swapped Razer greens into it, and the 2U keys are POS mount, so it's... something).

Jesseg

20 Oct 2020, 03:21

kbdfr wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 17:54
Rayndalf wrote:
[…] it could almost pass for a Cherry product (except, you know with a sensible macro creation process). […]
For your information, such programming "on the fly" is exactly the way the Cherry G80-2100 und its successor G81-8301 work(ed), except that in addition there is(was) a software application to store, retrieve, modify and/or create a programmed configuration.

I probably wouldn’t have replaced my G80-2100 with a Tipro if I had had such a Quest Versakey programmable keyboard.
On the other hand, a Tipro allows you to freelly program every key including the alphas and modifiers (and even the spacebar), not just a limited number of keys, and programming is not limited to what is available on the keyboard itself.
Plus, you can extend the keyboard with extra modules.
Spoiler:
5 years old miserable photo of my Tipro (which still is my daily driver, even if largely reprogrammed):

What is this software you speak of? I have a 2100 and I find it funny how there's 10 layers of macros but no way of knowing wtf is on each, always thought you had to write it down or something, what was this software?

I still find that the best macro boards I use are the G80-9009 and the Wey MK06/HK2000, as they have displays on the keyboard itself that lets you see exactly what the macros do

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Oct 2020, 13:46

The software for the 2100 was discontinued after Windows 95 and does not work with later Windows versions (but I can still send it to you if you want).
The 2100 had a flip index to be placed around the programmable block. I may have a used one somewhere.

As for the G81-8308 (it has dreadful MY switches, although there exists a third party version with MX browns) displays the layer you’re on, it works with the usual Cherry software for their programmable keyboards. But of course you don’t really see what you have programmed. As in the 2100, all programmable keys are relegendable with a transparent lid.

Jesseg

20 Oct 2020, 23:57

kbdfr wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 13:46
The software for the 2100 was discontinued after Windows 95 and does not work with later Windows versions (but I can still send it to you if you want).
The 2100 had a flip index to be placed around the programmable block. I may have a used one somewhere.

As for the G81-8308 (it has dreadful MY switches, although there exists a third party version with MX browns) displays the layer you’re on, it works with the usual Cherry software for their programmable keyboards. But of course you don’t really see what you have programmed. As in the 2100, all programmable keys are relegendable with a transparent lid.
Oh duh, I completely forgot about the layer flip Book thing haha, would be cool to make one of those actually, I didn’t seem to get one with mine?

Return to “Keyboards”