IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Razerban

12 Nov 2020, 17:36

ntv242ver2 wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 16:33
Fujitsu leaf spring linear for the top two.
Fujitsu something dome with slider i cant remember but not that popular, for the middle one
No idea for the last one, cherry My maybe, i am thinking of a cherry keyboard
Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure if the first two are Fujitsu Leaf Spring switches.

kelvinhall05

12 Nov 2020, 20:31

Razerban wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 17:35
kelvinhall05 wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 17:16
I have one of the top ones in a different layout. I made a thread that has some info on it but I recommend you just map the matrix.
Could you please share the link of the thread ? Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23766

Razerban

12 Nov 2020, 21:40

kelvinhall05 wrote:
Razerban wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 17:16
I have one of the top ones in a different layout. I made a thread that has some info on it but I recommend you just map the matrix.
Thanks for the link.
Have you been able to convert it at the end ?

kelvinhall05

12 Nov 2020, 23:08

Razerban wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 21:40
kelvinhall05 wrote:
Razerban wrote:

Thanks for the link.
Have you been able to convert it at the end ?
As I said, I had to map the matrix. Highly suggest you do the same unless you are comfortable with documenting and reverse-engineering protocols.

kane198021

15 Nov 2020, 01:25

Hello all!

I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I've been getting into the keyboard thing especially since I started watching Thomas Ran (Chyrosran22) on YouTube. I have a luggable 286 in the works and I would like to find a replacement keycap set for it, preferably as close to the original set as possible. I don't speak Italian, but I still want to preserve that aspect for posterity at least. Please help me identify the keyboard and also help me find an accurate set of compatible keycaps. They look like they are Cherry MX style mounting, but I could be incorrect, of course. I haven't been lazy about searching for a set, but all I can find are the typical ANSI and ISO layouts.

Here's a link to the pictures that I do have of it (it's on the way to me in the USA):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... cFlaH6_h09

If anyone has any suggestions for an outright replacement, I'm game for that as well. I would still prefer to restore the original, though.

Jimi14

15 Nov 2020, 09:21

Jimi14 wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:27
Here is a weird one. It's an AT-style board that once belonged to a Bondwell Pro 28 with what i think is an Estonian layout (or some weird hybrid one, can't think of any other language that uses å, ä, ö, and ü but no other umlauts). Label on the back says nothing beyond it being made in 1987.

seller claims it's Swedish, but then why the hell is there ü and é keys?

(edit, realized that Estonian doesn't use å. So now i have no idea what layout it's using)

378360197_4f36b909-b7bb-45ee-90c7-dbe067609a72.jpg

378360197_c1afbd96-52a5-4a05-91fa-bfc3762eb725.jpg

Bondwell_Pro_28_1.jpg
Update: Got him to remove one of the keycaps, but i don't really recognize the switch either. (Maybe something foam/foil related? what other switches used an external return spring?)
u224807_u3598109_l426958710_6eaeb025-7ba6-aa70-7cea-46ea3b2cd847.jpg
u224807_u3598109_l426958710_6eaeb025-7ba6-aa70-7cea-46ea3b2cd847.jpg (237.67 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
Really tempted to buy it, but i don't really have the economy right now and not sure what i would use this thing for anyway with it's strange layout....

kelvinhall05

15 Nov 2020, 16:15

kane198021 wrote:
Hello all!

I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I've been getting into the keyboard thing especially since I started watching Thomas Ran (Chyrosran22) on YouTube. I have a luggable 286 in the works and I would like to find a replacement keycap set for it, preferably as close to the original set as possible. I don't speak Italian, but I still want to preserve that aspect for posterity at least. Please help me identify the keyboard and also help me find an accurate set of compatible keycaps. They look like they are Cherry MX style mounting, but I could be incorrect, of course. I haven't been lazy about searching for a set, but all I can find are the typical ANSI and ISO layouts.

Here's a link to the pictures that I do have of it (it's on the way to me in the USA):

If anyone has any suggestions for an outright replacement, I'm game for that as well. I would still prefer to restore the original, though.
Drive folder is private, upload pics here.

hellothere

15 Nov 2020, 19:53

Jimi14 wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 16:27
Here is a weird one. It's an AT-style board that once belonged to a Bondwell Pro 28 with what i think is an Estonian layout (or some weird hybrid one, can't think of any other language that uses å, ä, ö, and ü but no other umlauts). Label on the back says nothing beyond it being made in 1987. <snip>
The switch looks like Alps Integrated Dome. I can't say anything about the å, ä, ö, and ü keys.

kane198021

16 Nov 2020, 03:31

kelvinhall05 wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 16:15
kane198021 wrote:
Hello all!

Drive folder is private, upload pics here.
Sorry about that! As I said, I'm new to this...

Here ya go:

File:Yellow Box8.jpg on the Desktority Wiki

File:Yellow Box9.jpg on the Desktority Wiki

I did at least try to upload the images to Imgur with no success....

redbaron123

16 Nov 2020, 07:01

This looks like a Futaba MA switch keyboard. But I cannot identify what keyboard it is. The paper next to the keyboard says TS1000, but that seems to be a totally different keyboard. This is not my photo, so I cannot further inspect this keyboard. What keyboard is this?

imdatperson

16 Nov 2020, 08:04

redbaron123 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 07:01

This looks like a Futaba MA switch keyboard. But I cannot identify what keyboard it is. The paper next to the keyboard says TS1000, but that seems to be a totally different keyboard. This is not my photo, so I cannot further inspect this keyboard. What keyboard is this?
As to what board it is, I am not too sure, but I can tell that those switches are not futaba MA, but the confusingly similar Sejin Dome w/ Slider. They share the same mount and look as Futaba MA, but they are indeed domes.

Shrimp

16 Nov 2020, 09:15

Hi fellas, I have a keyboard that I haven't been able to dig up any information on and was hoping someone here might know a bit more about it. It has a sticker on the back with the brand name APC but seems to have no model number or country of manufacture listed. I believe it was manufactured in 1990 based on a calendar on one of the keyboard shortcut cards for various programs that came with it. The shortcut cards had a flip out holder that unfortunately broke. The keyswitches ares white Alps with ABS double shot keycaps. I'd really like to know what the cutout above the numpad is for, my best guess is that it held some type of cards or sticky notes. Here's an Imgur album of the keyboard apart if anyone is interested. https://imgur.com/a/ceceGRL

Yurnero

16 Nov 2020, 10:04

Hey, guys I only recently got into hunting for vintage and strange keyboard and found something incredibly interesting. KB-128-A or KB-128 brings up nothing, trying to find anything about Gigatek got me some answers regarding what type of keyboard this exactly is.
I got a ton of info and detailed documents about 980A: "KB980A Series128-Keys programmable keyboard is specially designed for most dedicated applications, such as banking system, POS system, etc. Each key can be programmable up to 42 characters and can be defined through the PC by the user. The integrated magnetic stripe reader can read authorization cards, credit cards, or bank passbooks." That at least clarifies what 128-A is.

The seller claims in the auction description that it's a microswitch keyboard because it's clicky, the photo clearly shows Cherry MX mount under the spare keycaps but that means almost nothing when Cherry MX mount is so universal. I'm really confused about what really is hiding under the keycaps. I already contacted the seller for more photos and info regarding the keyboard but I'm yet to receive a reply. So I decided to ask here, what do you think guys?
Attachments
noidea5.jpg
noidea5.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
noidea4.jpg
noidea4.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
noidea3.jpg
noidea3.jpg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
noidea2.jpg
noidea2.jpg (133.01 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
noidea1.jpg
noidea1.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 6258 times

Jan Pospisil

16 Nov 2020, 10:51

Shrimp wrote:
Hi fellas, I have a keyboard that I haven't been able to dig up any information on and was hoping someone here might know a bit more about it. It has a sticker on the back with the brand name APC but seems to have no model number or country of manufacture listed. I believe it was manufactured in 1990 based on a calendar on one of the keyboard shortcut cards for various programs that came with it. The shortcut cards had a flip out holder that unfortunately broke. The keyswitches ares white Alps with ABS double shot keycaps. I'd really like to know what the cutout above the numpad is for, my best guess is that it held some type of cards or sticky notes. Here's an Imgur album of the keyboard apart if anyone is interested. https://imgur.com/a/ceceGRL
The layout and case styling make me think it's an unknown Focus model. But the APC sticker would point towards Tai-Hao? And TH apparently did use the Focus layout on some of its keyboards. And the keycaps do look like TH doubleshots to me.

4_404

16 Nov 2020, 11:54

Shrimp wrote:
Looks like a Tai Hao 5539-8

Shrimp

16 Nov 2020, 13:33

4_404 wrote:
Looking at the pictures on the wiki I think you're right. Teardown photos all match as well as the shortcut cards. Thanks for your help :D I wonder why they branded some differently.

hellothere

16 Nov 2020, 21:50

Yurnero wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 10:04
Hey, guys I only recently got into hunting for vintage and strange keyboard and found something incredibly interesting. KB-128-A or KB-128 brings up nothing, trying to find anything about Gigatek got me some answers regarding what type of keyboard this exactly is.
I got a ton of info and detailed documents about 980A: "KB980A Series128-Keys programmable keyboard is specially designed for most dedicated applications, such as banking system, POS system, etc. Each key can be programmable up to 42 characters and can be defined through the PC by the user. The integrated magnetic stripe reader can read authorization cards, credit cards, or bank passbooks." That at least clarifies what 128-A is.

The seller claims in the auction description that it's a microswitch keyboard because it's clicky, the photo clearly shows Cherry MX mount under the spare keycaps but that means almost nothing when Cherry MX mount is so universal. I'm really confused about what really is hiding under the keycaps. I already contacted the seller for more photos and info regarding the keyboard but I'm yet to receive a reply. So I decided to ask here, what do you think guys?
I'll let you down gently: it's never a good idea to say, "Company A makes model B, so therefore model C from company A must have the same features." Is it possible the 980A and 128A do have the same features? Sure. It's also possible that the 128A was made in 1980 and has none of the same features.

Their website is http://www.gigatms.com.tw. You might want to drop them a line. Ask them when the 128A was released and how much it cost brand new. The reason I say that is because I could find no pricing information for any Gigatek / GigaTMS product online. That's not going to tell you how much one is worth, though, but it's nice window dressing for an ebay ad.

Speaking of, I did see the ad on ebay for $1250. No, I don't know if it's worth that much: there are no closed ads on ebay for anything else Gigatek / GigaTMS to compare it to. Personally, I'd be saving that $1250 to spend on an IBM Beamspring, if one pops up for cheap.

The 128A looks like it has a DIN-5 connector and there's a DIN-5 to PS/2 adapter included in the box. No USB. Software is on 3.5" floppies. You might be talking about equipment that was made in the 90s -- however, I do know that some companies are still running Windows 95, so it's possible the 128A is newer.

FWIW, I did look at one of the spec sheets for one of the new GigaTMS keyboards and it said it was rated for "millions of keystrokes." That generally means some sort of mechanical switch, but not always. It also didn't specify a switch name.

4_404

17 Nov 2020, 00:14

Shrimp wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 13:33
4_404 wrote:
Looking at the pictures on the wiki I think you're right. Teardown photos all match as well as the shortcut cards. Thanks for your help :D I wonder why they branded some differently.

I don't really understand Tai Hao branding. It seems that in addition to the 5539-x numbering, Tai Hao also used APC-x, so I guess that would make yours an APC-8. Tai Hao also seemed to use APC for keyboards, mechanical switches and semi-mechanical switches, even though the APC keyboards rarely appear to have APC switches. I've had a couple of 5539-9s, and there's no identification of the specific '-9' model on them either, just the 5539 in the FCC ID. For reference, one of my 5539-9s had Tai Hao Aruz switches and the other two had Type OA2 clones (not APC switches, but very similar - I don't see why Tai Hao would use clones/copies of their own switches in their own keyboard?).

Yurnero

17 Nov 2020, 16:13

hellothere wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 21:50
I'll let you down gently: it's never a good idea to say, "Company A makes model B, so therefore model C from company A must have the same features." Is it possible the 980A and 128A do have the same features? Sure. It's also possible that the 128A was made in 1980 and has none of the same features.

Speaking of, I did see the ad on ebay for $1250. No, I don't know if it's worth that much: there are no closed ads on ebay for anything else Gigatek / GigaTMS to compare it to. Personally, I'd be saving that $1250 to spend on an IBM Beamspring, if one pops up for cheap.

The 128A looks like it has a DIN-5 connector and there's a DIN-5 to PS/2 adapter included in the box. No USB. Software is on 3.5" floppies. You might be talking about equipment that was made in the 90s -- however, I do know that some companies are still running Windows 95, so it's possible the 128A is newer.

FWIW, I did look at one of the spec sheets for one of the new GigaTMS keyboards and it said it was rated for "millions of keystrokes." That generally means some sort of mechanical switch, but not always. It also didn't specify a switch name.
The one I pictured is from my country's auction website and has been listed at a starting price of 15$ so I'm not going to land myself with a 1250$ paperweight. Maybe if I land it I can take some detailed photos of switches and the guts, only if I get it of course. Also some of the documentation regarding 980A said it uses Cherry MX switches. Then again like you said assuming that just because a modern version of some keyboard has some features doesn't mean a 60-year-old keyboard might have the same. Still thanks for the informative reply!

hellothere

17 Nov 2020, 17:07

90s. 60 years? I know I'm one of the older folks on this forum, but not quite that old. :D

You're welcome. I'm here to share whatever info I have.

forter4

18 Nov 2020, 22:16

Not a keyboard, but can anyone help me identify which keyboard these keycaps came from? They seem to fit SKCC Greens and SKCC Creams perfectly (not tall Creams; though you could force it on there and it'll be snug, but secure)

Rayndalf

18 Nov 2020, 22:24

forter4 wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 22:16
Not a keyboard, but can anyone help me identify which keyboard these keycaps came from? They seem to fit SKCC Greens and SKCC Creams perfectly (not tall Creams; though you could force it on there and it'll be snug, but secure)

The red dot reminds me of a Ti99/4a, but mine is WoB and uses stackpole switches

zrrion

19 Nov 2020, 00:13

Those did come from an ti99/4a, although they look like they are the General Instruments SKCC kind and not the ALPS SKCC kind.
here is mine for comparison

forter4

19 Nov 2020, 00:39

Rayndalf wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 22:24
The red dot reminds me of a Ti99/4a, but mine is WoB and uses stackpole switches
zrrion wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 00:13
Those did come from an ti99/4a, although they look like they are the General Instruments SKCC kind and not the ALPS SKCC kind.
here is mine for comparison
Thanks! It looks like there were beige ones that fit the color of these exactly

zrrion

19 Nov 2020, 05:34

Any idea what this is? I suspect it is a rebrand but I can't find much information on the manufacturer.

Lekrafter

19 Nov 2020, 05:53

zrrion wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 05:34
Any idea what this is? I suspect it is a rebrand but I can't find much information on the manufacturer.
The keycaps resemble those of a tandy model 100 or something like that, so I would be tempted to say alps, but don't quote me on that

Rayndalf

19 Nov 2020, 07:10

Sold as "VDS T93.C.NOV84.B / T93CNOV84B"

It arrived and it's weird. The keycaps are doubleshot dark brown on beige, and the top row is R0, but unlike another old example I have they aren't thinner than the other keys. The top plate is FR4 with a copper mask and the switches are installed sideways and epoxied to it.

On the underside I can only see 1 IC and a piezo buzzer (most ICs are hidden under the plate). Aside from some damage to the connector and very light scuffs it's in very good shape, but judging by the bottom holes it was bolted into something at some point. I was in it for the caps so the switches being stuck doesn't bother me too much.

It came wrapped in a very old foam and cardboard sleeve, and a massive box stuffed with the "quilted" style bubble wrap so they could have lost money just shipping it (who am I kidding they have a corporate shipping account and get great rates).

The coiled cord and piezo confuse me, I have no idea if this would live in a standalone case or to be built in to a machine. I'm guessing an all in one terminal, but it could be anything.

At some point I need to convert it and shove it into a disgusting plywood case like old school DIYers would have.
Attachments
20201102_165826.jpg
20201102_165826.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 5785 times
20201102_165443.jpg
20201102_165443.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 5785 times

hellothere

19 Nov 2020, 17:03

Rayndalf wrote:
Cherry MX Black or some other cross mount?

Rayndalf

19 Nov 2020, 18:51

hellothere wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 17:03
Rayndalf wrote:
Cherry MX Black or some other cross mount?
Yeah, MX blacks rotated 90 degrees. I have no idea why, but that suggests Cherry keycaps and a not Cherry PCB and plate.

Yasu0

19 Nov 2020, 20:25

Very neato early 80's board! Agreed on the disgusting plywood DIY case, would like to one day try the same. I have bought a few boards from this place, mine came the same as yours. I think they had them wrapped up and waiting for years to be sold for much higher asking prices. Hence the potato camera pictures and expensive packaging.

Return to “Keyboards”