A Few Little Compaq Portable III (?) Keyboard Parts

starhawk

21 Nov 2020, 21:26

Hello!

I have a keyboard off of an old Compaq Portable III. The rest of the machine is unsalvageable, sadly, but I want to get the keyboard working for a really cool other project I have that it's perfect for.

I need a replacement Numpad Minus keycap, a couple (literally like two) of the little rectangular pegs for the stabilizer bars (one's come off, only one, but I'm a klutz lol!), and two or three (five at the most!) of the foam-and-foil assemblies. Currently it's that one key and the spacebar that need it, but, again... I'm a klutz.

I'm in NC, USA... I can cover domestic shipping costs, maybe a little bit more, like $10 or so max? I don't need Priority Mail or anything fancy, USPS First Class is fine...

EDIT: just checked, location was not set in profile. Thought it was -- fixed! Sorry about that...

EDIT2: wow, I'm a mess today! The keyboard is a Keytronic Foam&Foil job -- according to https://oldcrap.org/2018/11/12/compaq-portable-iii/ (you have to scroll down a bit, there's lots of pictures), it's actually the one from the next model up, a Compaq Portable 386 -- but I have to wonder, since I have *two* of these machines (the Portable III, which is a 286 job) if there was an option for swapping in that keyboard instead of the original (apparently *that* looked more like this -- http://www.acrpc.net/compaq-portable-iii/ -- second to last image in the gallery thingy there) because both of mine have that style of keyboard... and that's after I swapped them between the two machines! I'm pretty sure the problem is that the shield-ground on this one has fallen apart in a couple places. I have a replacement cable already that will do quite nicely ;)

But, yeah, there's the model info. I can pull PCB codes and whatnot if someone really needs it, I guess...

starhawk

22 Nov 2020, 19:26

bump

starhawk

23 Nov 2020, 23:31

bump

starhawk

25 Nov 2020, 01:51

bump

Boy, this sure isn't getting much traction... guess I'm not one of the cool kids yet :P meh.

ZedTheMan

25 Nov 2020, 04:20

Unfortunately, I don't reckon many people have a matching set to donate caps to, at least for F&F. But, I think parts for those boards might be more readily available in the wider vintage computing sphere rather than here, surprisingly. A lot of people have portable computers with F&F, it was common for that, and they are more readily available for cheap for many systems because the people here don't tend to like em as much.

U can b a cul cid if u want 2.

starhawk

27 Nov 2020, 05:32

Whoops, fell off the world for a minute. Sorry! Balance is kinda an issue sometimes... /stumble

Whoa... see what I mean? ;)

Also bump... and @ZedTheMan, if that's how cool kids type, never freaking mind, yikes. The sort of, er, 'intellect' (I use that term loosely!) that thinks that that's perfectly decent English is /precisely/ why I don't have a Facebook account. Before anyone asks, I'm not prejudiced, I was raised by a former librarian.

Return to “Want to buy”