What are your keyboard projects for 2021?

hellothere

28 Dec 2020, 20:10

I'd also like to put together a sandblaster station. That'd help on so many levels of keyboarding: bad metal cases, bad mounting plates, de-shiny keys ...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2020, 08:27

hellothere wrote:
I'd also like to put together a sandblaster station. That'd help on so many levels of keyboarding: bad metal cases, bad mounting plates, de-shiny keys ...
Same! I have it in my wishlist since forever

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

29 Dec 2020, 08:30

hellothere wrote:
You can use a sandblaster to deshine keys? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Wouldn't that wear down the legends?

quaker

29 Dec 2020, 13:19

Redmaus wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 08:30
hellothere wrote:
You can use a sandblaster to deshine keys? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Wouldn't that wear down the legends?
Yes they would... whilst they does relatively little on dyesubs or doubleshot letterings.

Findecanor

29 Dec 2020, 15:12

As I recall, it has to be done gently or it will wear down the plastic too much for comfort.
Wodan's old thread.

voyagersilver

29 Dec 2020, 17:50

Would love to pick up a new Model F, restore another keyboard or two, or do a handwired build (since I don't know how to design PCBs). Best of luck to everyone with their projects in the new year!

adamcobabe

29 Dec 2020, 18:22

hellothere wrote:
Shine on SP SA style caps is great IMHO, on everything else modern it looks bad. I wonder if Signature Plastics would make some SA sets with high shine, I think they stopped offering that option. Not sure when made them last, but it's still in their catalogue.

Scarpia

29 Dec 2020, 18:26

Some of the possible projects:

- Build a keyboard for my fiancée
- Sell some of the collection; at least one of the Topres, one of the SSKs, and my Alps64 with brown Alps. Maybe a few of the more exotic keysets I’ll never use.
- Clean and lube the brown Alps in my custom TKL
- Build a board with a sculpted profile like SA or MT3. Maybe SA Carbon or Domikey SA Semiconductor. Try Holy Pandas and decide between those or Kailh Box clickies or Speed Bronzes.

clickykeyboards

29 Dec 2020, 20:01

Pre-sorting and getting ready for grinding through restoration work for 2021.

Mostly IBM finds and a few customer mail-in boards awaiting in the queue.
ClickyKeyborards 2021 grind.jpg
ClickyKeyborards 2021 grind.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 5698 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

29 Dec 2020, 21:38

fohat wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 15:40
Actually finishing projects from years past?
This is the correct answer for me as well

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Dec 2020, 22:23

clickykeyboards wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 20:01
Pre-sorting and getting ready for grinding through restoration work for 2021.

Mostly IBM finds and a few customer mail-in boards awaiting in the queue.

ClickyKeyborards 2021 grind.jpg
Clicky still going strong! As one of the originals you must be the longest serving veteran in this keyboard thing.

blacvelvetpengun

30 Dec 2020, 04:21

I recently picked up a M0110a after reading a few posts here. Will hopefully start my restoration project. Waiting for the adapter from Tinkerboi to come in.

mcmaxmcmc

30 Dec 2020, 04:33

I have several hauls that are projecting to arrive in Q1 2021, of which I'll need to clean and sort everything. Some of which I'll maybe do a restoration post on it. :)

If the world gets better, I can finally ship a computer system from Japan that I have over there. That'd be quite exciting.

I might have to revamp my room just to store more keyboards... my wall is full.

Some custom keyboards should be arriving too, so that'd be pretty neat. Now I just need some meme Alps switches...
Last edited by mcmaxmcmc on 31 Dec 2020, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

PlacaFromHell

30 Dec 2020, 05:17

Basically the same as the other members, finish my last year projects, but to give an extended answer which will be less boring, that means either do a rev5 of my endgame keyboard or decide that the rev4 is good enough to go for the construction phase. Some pictures of how the rev4 is going:
Spoiler:

Magnetic separation switches, modular beamspring-like design and spherical sculpted keycaps over angled stems, with squircle tops to make them look prettier. More info at some point.

John Doe

30 Dec 2020, 05:35

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
Post your wall :lol: :lol:

hellothere

30 Dec 2020, 16:42

adamcobabe wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 18:22
hellothere wrote:
Shine on SP SA style caps is great IMHO, on everything else modern it looks bad. I wonder if Signature Plastics would make some SA sets with high shine, I think they stopped offering that option. Not sure when made them last, but it's still in their catalogue.
I think the thread was on Reddit, but there was someone that made non-shiny keys super shiny. IIRC, he used polishing compound (which is used on cars; it's abrasive, so don't go too nuts) and probably a polishing wheel. They looked amazing. I'm thinking that would look pretty nice on black keycaps with white legends.

digital_matthew

30 Dec 2020, 17:10

I've used this three-step polishing system on acrylic sheets and got pretty good results. I've never used it on keycaps though. A polishing wheel would certainly make life easier. There are also foam attachments which you could put on a drill.

https://www.novuspolish.com/

kajahtaa

30 Dec 2020, 23:45

Build a BFO9000, Levinson (from PA1000H), Honeyboard60, and 3rd Fortitude60

Maybe get some wood parts made

Taking a 1 or 2 year break from GB

mcmaxmcmc

31 Dec 2020, 00:05

John Doe wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 05:35
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
Post your wall :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
It's not much but this is the only storage space I have, hahaha.
I probably will have to make some storage space under my bed. Gotta get more space, somehow.

John Doe

31 Dec 2020, 04:38

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
It's not much but this is the only storage space I have, hahaha.
I never count how many kbds I have, but I think they'll not beyond what you have, or what you have posted atleast. :cry:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
I probably will have to make some storage space under my bed. Gotta get more space, somehow.
that's what I have done, most of them there are trash boards tho. :lol:

Reshala

31 Dec 2020, 18:49

Convert and restore: A Marquardt butterfly, an Alps SKCC cream, a Fujitsu FM town(probably 3rd gen linear leaf spring), a Sharp X68000
Mod and build: Swap switches of a chattering Matias ergo pro to green alps or Matias red, maybe try to build a board with space cadet aesthetics if I can find enough symbiosis SA caps
BTW, really hoping to get a 3D printer

uttindar

31 Dec 2020, 22:30

Building a Steezy60 (both SMK and ALPS versions, probably) to utilize some switches and keycaps I have sitting around for ages. Learning to solder small components along the way, because I have a feeling I will require that skill for some parts. :roll:

Also figuring out what is wrong with my Datacomp DFK555, with the issue that seems pretty common for that board.

Netdewt

04 Jan 2021, 23:39

I'll be digging deeper into an ortholinear trench. I hope to help a friend build a 4x16 with encoders.

Explorer914

08 Jan 2021, 01:44

The projects I have for 2021 is.

- To repair my cracked Model M
- To clean and restore my Apple M3501
- Restore an M3501 case and repaint the mounting plate(?). I got a spare M3501 that got some kind of corrosive green liquid in it.
So I decided to remove the switches.
- Find a Dell AT101W to put the switches from the gutted M3501
- Find more keyboards to add to my collection

ChetManley

10 Jan 2021, 19:31

2020 leftovers...still have two 5291 Model F's (Bigfoot) that need restoration and conversion, and a Zenith that needs restored.

New for 2021...finally after much searching was able to find a 3276, so restore and conversion on that as well as restoration on the terminal. That will be enough to keep me out of trouble for a while.

Wish everyone the best of success on their 2021 projects!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Jan 2021, 05:29

Sales. Working to open an online store and thin out my redundant keyboards.

digital_matthew

21 Jan 2021, 17:12

I know this post probably belongs in Workshop, but I thought it would be appropriate to post it here. I mentioned that I was going to restomod a Model M 1390120, so here is the finished project. I cleaned it, bolt modded it, and gave it lock lights to basically turn it into a 1390131. Here are the pics:

Before:
Spoiler:
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG (412.42 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
After:
Spoiler:
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg (494.13 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Spoiler:
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg (484.9 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
The project was fun and challenging. Trying to keep the flippers in place while bolting the back plate to the barrel plate was probably the hardest part. But it was worth it; this is one of the best looking, best typing keyboards that I own.

PixelPlays

29 Jan 2021, 05:31

My goal is to take this Alps SKCC keyboard module that I have and acquire the know-how and tools to convert it to USB, so that I can breathe a second life into these beautiful switches.

lhutton

30 Jan 2021, 05:10

I might actually finally put together the adapter for my Pingmaster. That's been on the todo pile for a while.

juspek

30 Jan 2021, 14:39

Finish 40% ortho linear project that begun already over a year ago. Or maybe start a new project with normal staggered layout, as that bottom row without stagger is really difficult to get used to when using other keyboards daily too. Maybe if it was my only keyboard then would get used to it after some time.
Attachments
olkb.jpg
olkb.jpg (139.27 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

Return to “Keyboards”