Cherry G80-592H (?)

rev

17 Feb 2021, 20:05

Hi,
I just picked up this Compaq branded keyboard, a very obviously Cherry G80 board, vintage MX Blacks and all that good stuff. Unfortunately the classic Cherry sticker showing the article number is blank. Image
After disassembly, I have found out it is model number 592H, H of course meaning doubleshots, which I am also very pleased about, the first Hungarian set that I've seen. Could anyone help me what the other numbers mean? ("388", "106026601" and "4784") Image
It's got a pretty strange layout, about 1.5u wider alpha section than usual, nevermind the strange position for things, similar to a 1300, which brings me to the number 601-1343 at the bottom of the back of the PCB, could it be that this was supposed to be model 1343?
Other than that, just an interesting find I thought I'd share, and now I'm gonna get to cleaning it up a bit :D

Damonskv

17 Feb 2021, 20:20

Awesome find, congrats!! Please show to us these specific caps for Hungarian layout, are they doubleshots?

ddrfraser1

17 Feb 2021, 20:32

Damn, that's awesome.

rev

17 Feb 2021, 20:38

Damonskv wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:20
Please show to us these specific caps for Hungarian layout, are they doubleshots?
oh yeah they are ;) Image

Findecanor

Whoa. Indeed strange layout with two additional columns in the alphanumeric area compared to keyboards such as the G80-1300.
The legends are a weird mix of LK201 and IBM PC, with Home/End/PgUp/PgDn instead of Insert here/Remove/Prev Screen/Next Screen ... but then there's also Line Feed.
Also, LK201/G80-1300 do not have a two-tone colour scheme for the alphanumeric keys like this one.

I find it unlikely that the "COMPAQ COMPUTERSHOW" sticker would mark this as being made by Compaq, as their logo has always been pretty stylised. Maybe a company that resold computers or a sticker for a trade show?
Is there no sticker on the bottom of the case?

And does it have a 5-pin DIN plug (same as XT and AT) or something else? Other systems than the IBM PC have used 5-pin DIN, so that one would not be an indication in itself though.

rev

17 Feb 2021, 20:45

Findecanor wrote:
Whoa. Indeed strange layout. Two additional columns compared to the G80-1300, twice as many keys in-between M and right Shift, and twice as many keys in-between (what would normally be ) '0' and Backspace.
The legends are a weird mix of LK201 and IBM PC, with Home/End/PgUp/PgDn instead of Insert here/Remove/Prev Screen/Next Screen ... but then there's also Line Feed.

I find it unlikely that the "COMPAQ COMPUTERSHOW" sticker would mark this as being made by Compaq. Maybe a company that resold computers or a sticker for a trade show?
Is there no sticker on the bottom of the case?

And does it have a 5-pin DIN plug (same as XT and AT) or something else? Other systems than the IBM PC have used 5-pin DIN, so that one would not be an indication in itself though.
Indeed it was not made by Compaq, they just slapped their name onto it, as they do, it is made by Cherry, and there is an article number sticker on the bottom, however it is blank

It does have a DIN plug, according to the seller it worked with his AT converter, but I am yet to get myself one that can understand it.

ntv242ver2

17 Feb 2021, 21:40

You have a sticker on the pcb which pretty much tells you everything anyways. This is pretty rare, i dont dare to voice my 2 cents, perhaps Myoth can help with the article.

Myoth

17 Feb 2021, 22:17

that's an amazing find, and it is definitely a G80-592H, as far as I know, the 601-1343 is just a code to denominate the pcb, it's really just a part number for the pcb and nothing relevant to the model of the keyboard
Spoiler:
it will be greatly appreciated in the database we are all working on :D
viewtopic.php?t=21307

as for the label, it's not actually blank, it's very faint but you can more or less tell there is something written there :
Inkedimg_0302_LI.jpg
Inkedimg_0302_LI.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2232 times
if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Feb 2021, 07:33

Very nice find.
And good it has not fallen in the hands of some moron who would have desoldered the vintage switches just to sell them.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Feb 2021, 07:56

kbdfr wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 07:33
Very nice find.
And good it has not fallen in the hands of some moron who would have desoldered the vintage switches just to sell them.
Well I lost my good eBay reflexes!!

Return to “Keyboards”