IBM Model F AT Windows Key/Option Mod

Tonyv_73

24 Feb 2021, 15:50

I know to many people this mod may be unfavorable as it requires modification to the case, But has anyone ever done this? I assume the process is to use a dremel to add the two extra barrels. I've seen the Alt mods already Im talking about adding two more keys by modifying the case and some how adding the two circus to the PCB, Maybe with some Foil tape? If anyone has experience with this or can send a link to someone who has done it I would appreciate it.

Tonyv_73

24 Feb 2021, 20:21

I saw those, I know the spacebar alt mods, Im talking about adding extra keys between the ANSI Control and Alt (where the windows/option key would go) Has anyone done it before?

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Feb 2021, 01:53

I don't think there are any electronics there. When you cut out the plate for the Alt keys, the PCB is waiting for you with a spot.

I haven't had an F AT open in a couple of years but I think the answer is NO.

ddrfraser1

25 Feb 2021, 03:58

You could always to an alt mod and make one of the alts a win key

Or get an F 107

Tonyv_73

25 Feb 2021, 15:05

ddrfraser1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 03:58
You could always to an alt mod and make one of the alts a win key

Or get an F 107
If I can afford one I'd love that, but theyre too expensive for me right now, and I havent even used a buckling spring keyboard before, I'm new to the keyboard community, my hobbies are more focused on antiques, so I found my niche with the old IBMs. I have contemplated buying an F77, but I really love the AT layout with the left hand function keys, LED lights and the adjustable feet. So what I was wondering is on the circuit board would it be possible to add contacts for the two switches by using like foil tape or something, then soldering wires to go to the controller? Im more than capable of doing something like this I was just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Tonyv_73

07 Apr 2021, 02:54

So update, I purchased a F AT on eBay, it’s got a crack in the case so I’m not too worried about modifying it. I would like to add the alt and windows keys to this keyboard. Still trying to figure out if it’s possible to add foil tape to the two windows key areas and solder the wires onto the new controller. I see a lot of alt mod tutorials, just wondering if anyone out there can help me out with this one

Rayndalf

07 Apr 2021, 08:28

Tonyv_73 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 02:54
So update, I purchased a F AT on eBay, it’s got a crack in the case so I’m not too worried about modifying it. I would like to add the alt and windows keys to this keyboard. Still trying to figure out if it’s possible to add foil tape to the two windows key areas and solder the wires onto the new controller. I see a lot of alt mod tutorials, just wondering if anyone out there can help me out with this one
I'm glad I'm not the only one just now getting into F AT modding.

How much did your F AT cost? Mine is also pretty rough and still cost $240 to get it to my door.

Tonyv_73

07 Apr 2021, 14:41

I spent $250 so pretty much the same. But ideally this will be my one and only keyboard LOL

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2021, 15:27

Is this a good time to mention I paid $25 for my AT, which besides a prominent PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS sticker, which I've left in place, was in perfectly fixable condition? ;)

Ah, you just had to be there

Tonyv_73

07 Apr 2021, 16:16

I was going to wait patiently for one to pop up at an estate sale or flea market, but I wanted to get this project rolling. Does anyone know if I’ll need to get a custom PCB rather than just manually adding foil tape under the flippers for the contacts? I’m just not sure where to connect these extra switches when I add a small gauge wire to them

Return to “Keyboards”