Colleagues say my keyboard is too loud...

keyboardjoy

25 Feb 2021, 20:48

This arrived for the office this morning. Vermilos vA109Mac.

Cherry MX Tactile (brown) switches.

I love it ... but my colleagues don't love how loud it is. Can anyone recommend any solutions? My fingers have never felt happier to be typing.

Many thanks :)

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Feb 2021, 21:03

Hint: next time bring an MX blue first. when they complain, exchange it for the much quieter mx brown :D

ntv242ver2

25 Feb 2021, 21:04

Ascaii wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 21:03
Hint: next time bring an MX blue first. when they complain, exchange it for the much quieter mx brown :D
the only correct solution

sharktastica

25 Feb 2021, 21:05

Get new colleagues.

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Feb 2021, 21:06

My first office board was a spring modded mx blue. A week later, I brought an ergo clear and everyone was happy :D

keyboardjoy

25 Feb 2021, 21:16

I can sense a revolt in the office...

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2021, 21:43

They really shouldn’t be in the office! Hello: coronavirus party!

An indecently loud keyboard could be argued as being a public safety measure. THIS FACILITY IS OCCUPIED.

Btw: your pics don’t work. Just lousy host placeholders advertising their own incompetence here.

Findecanor

25 Feb 2021, 22:26

Remind them that offices used to be filled with people typing on electric typewriters all day. ;)

There are ways to make a keyboard more silent. We have a wiki article about it, but not all methods can be applied to all keyboards.
One common and quite effective way for most Cherry MX keyboards is to use O-rings or QMX clips (even better)
QMX clips were made to fit a specific set of keyboard models: They require switches to face south, and luckily the switches do on the Varmilo VA109 Mac. However, they were made for Cherry-profile keycaps, and I'm not sure if VA109 Mac's keycaps are compatible with them without requiring extra O-rings as well.

TNT

26 Feb 2021, 00:35

Maybe the case allows you to add some foam padding. Dampening the switches with o-rings is also a solution like mentioned. Or try a desk mat.
Last edited by TNT on 26 Feb 2021, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

micmil

26 Feb 2021, 04:36

Just hit them with it until they stop whining.

Or start listening to death metal.

mcmaxmcmc

26 Feb 2021, 05:03

There are damped tactile switches out there, perhaps you might want to look for those...

This is the last case scenario, though. Try everything above and below first! :lol:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

26 Feb 2021, 15:33

Kailh Silent Box Browns (which, ironically, have a round as opposed to square stem) are some of the best switches I've ever tried. I use them in lieu of silenced Topre or damped Alps at this point. Highly recommended.

If I were making Cherry style keyboards right now, these would be the default switch on all my offerings.

paperWasp

03 Mar 2021, 10:24

Add keyboard beep in Accessibility Settings.
Later turn volume down to 50%.
Finally turn it off completely and they'll be grateful for that. :lol:

Seriously, something like a plant or a pile of books in the direct path between your keyboard and your loudest colleague might also help.

dogskipper

27 Mar 2021, 02:15

I work in a humanities student office where mx browns would be considered a quiet, considerate choice.

micmil

27 Mar 2021, 05:07

The other alternative is the ABKO K935P, which is a Topre clone board that's factory silenced. Super freaking quiet and still feels good. Not the cheapest option but a damn good one.

Jacobalbertus1

27 Mar 2021, 11:35

Personally I'd tell them they need to get over it and it's just mx brown your not raining thunder down with a model f122

apb

27 Mar 2021, 12:19

XMIT wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 15:33
Kailh Silent Box Browns (which, ironically, have a round as opposed to square stem)
I thought the "BOX" refers to the "box" the contact leaf sits in?
micmil wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 05:07
The other alternative is the ABKO K935P, which is a Topre clone board that's factory silenced. Super freaking quiet and still feels good. Not the cheapest option but a damn good one.
If someone has an issue with how loud my keyboard is, they'd better be paying for a replacement of my choosing. If I was OP, I wouldn't shell out the dough on a Topre clone if my job didn't depend on it. If it did, I'd stick with whatever shoddy domes they've got at the office.
Jacobalbertus1 wrote:
Personally I'd tell them they need to get over it and it's just mx brown your not raining thunder down with a model f122
I agree with this. Bring in your loudest for a day and drop back down to something quieter. Say it helps with your productivity or something.

Muirium
µ

27 Mar 2021, 12:36

I self identify as a tactile typist (XY straight caffeine positive drama over comedy right handed oversharing inclusivity snob low energy woke clown agnostic intersectionally confused monomaniacally pluralistic sans serif advocate Topre first cis-male). Also: Mac. Do not discriminate against me.

micmil

27 Mar 2021, 15:56

apb wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 12:19
If someone has an issue with how loud my keyboard is, they'd better be paying for a replacement of my choosing. If I was OP, I wouldn't shell out the dough on a Topre clone if my job didn't depend on it. If it did, I'd stick with whatever shoddy domes they've got at the office.
Wait, are we suddenly in the business of doing things that make sense around here?

*drops the Pro Micro and backs away from the mid-90's rubber dome board*

Myoth

27 Mar 2021, 15:57

Jacobalbertus1 wrote:
how to be hate by every single person you work with 101

motoko

27 Mar 2021, 16:14

Let's get real, MX Browns are overwhelmingly too loud for most normies in an open office. You should change switches.

shallot

27 Mar 2021, 16:41

I am looking forward to the return to the office, if for no other reason than to take in something with a solenoid and get sent home forever

micmil

27 Mar 2021, 16:53

shallot wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 16:41
I am looking forward to the return to the office, if for no other reason than to take in something with a solenoid and get sent home forever
Use the solenoid signal to trigger a wacky sound board like you were some second-rate wannabe shock jock. Every alpha key is a different air horn, CTRL is a fart, SPACE is some random Big Lebowski quote.

*honk*honk**honk*honkhonk*honk**honk*honk*PRRRBTTTTT*IDONTROLLONSATURDAYS*honk**honk*honk*TIESTHEROOMTOGETHER*pbbbt*

Keybug

27 Mar 2021, 23:11

Get those O-rings if you're set on keeping your current setup for a cheap and quick fix. If hardware can be changed, I second XMIT's praise of box switches in general and the silent browns in particular.

To get back at the whining bastards, though, claim you have developed RSI and just use dictation software all day, Tavis Rudd style.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Mar 2021, 09:20

I wonder how those who disparage the "whining" colleagues would react if someone in their office woulld somehow smell unpleasantly.
I can't imagine they would appreciate that person being given advice such as
"If someone has an issue with how loud my keyboard is I smell, they'd better be paying for a replacement of my choosing me to wash my clothes - and myself."
or
"Personally I'd tell them they need to get over it and it's just mx brown you lacking hygiene your not raining thunder down with a model f122 farting all day long"

After all, the nuisance is the keyboard, not the colleagues.
Good move to ask for advice with this thread, and some good answers here.

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 10:14

“So, I asked a keyboard forum and they say you should quit your whining.”

Bjerrk

28 Mar 2021, 11:06

Yeah, don't be an arse. Don't annoy your colleagues. Switch keyboards if you have to. Social connections are still more important than keyboards, even if that may sound controversial to some.

Here's what I did, though: my coworker thought my keyboard was a bit too loud, but I could tell that he found it interesting as well.
One day, when he was out, I then put a cheap-ish clicky keyboard (paid by the university) on his desk with a note saying he could borrow it if he liked it. Now he's happily clicking away, and all's good.

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 11:26

That's authentically good advice. If you've keyboards to spare, spread the love!

apb

28 Mar 2021, 11:50

Muirium wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 11:26
That's authentically good advice. If you've keyboards to spare, spread the love!
I got into this "hobby" too late and don't have any recycling center/thrift store finds so there's nothing I can really do in a situation like this but it's sound advice.

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 12:06

Give it time. You'll have boards you like less than others, believe me!

Return to “Keyboards”