Can you use a Model M flipper in a Model F?

Lekrafter

05 Mar 2021, 00:10

Title, I've got an AT Model F which I'm ISO modding right now, but for the additional flipper I need I don't have F flipper though I do have hundreds of M flippers, will it work?

xxhellfirexx

05 Mar 2021, 00:34

No, that wouldn't work. The model M flippers does not have carbon in them for the model F capacitive sensors to detect.

Findecanor

05 Mar 2021, 01:12

They are also different sizes and different shapes.

Lekrafter

05 Mar 2021, 04:10

oh....

E TwentyNine

05 Mar 2021, 12:26

If you simply want the key to look correct, you could use an M assembly and put it on a key you'll never use ( like SysReq or an Fx key). For giggles I had once tried extending an M flipper with aluminum tape, and I think I got some response, but nothing I'd want to type on.

You may also consider doing an SSK conversion on your AT instead so you need fewer keys overall. Which I did here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52379.msg1160353

The great thing about F's is you can just open them up and rearrange things on a whim, and I had rearranged that board several times, moving where I had the esc, moving the Fx keys around etc.

Lekrafter

05 Mar 2021, 15:59

E TwentyNine wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 12:26
If you simply want the key to look correct, you could use an M assembly and put it on a key you'll never use ( like SysReq or an Fx key). For giggles I had once tried extending an M flipper with aluminum tape, and I think I got some response, but nothing I'd want to type on.

You may also consider doing an SSK conversion on your AT instead so you need fewer keys overall. Which I did here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52379.msg1160353

The great thing about F's is you can just open them up and rearrange things on a whim, and I had rearranged that board several times, moving where I had the esc, moving the Fx keys around etc.
No need to sacrifice my F AT into an SSK, I've got 6 SSKs, one of which I actually plan on turning into an FSSK, but thanks for the response!

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2021, 17:15

Six? Is that for playing IBM Twister?

Lekrafter

05 Mar 2021, 17:46

Muirium wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 17:15
Six? Is that for playing IBM Twister?
Haha no, just a lucky find

Return to “Workshop”