Please welcome the new owners of Deskthority

Palatino

16 Mar 2021, 01:04

Welcome, Oliver, and good luck. Glad to see you have a fountain pen background - that was my last addiction. Unfortunately, keyboards are about twenty times bigger and twenty times easier for my wife to spot what's in yet another parcel arriving. I'm based in London too: happy to show you some of my collection to wean you off MX Blues!

chalcocabana

16 Mar 2021, 07:20

Howdy howdy welcome. I'm new too, maybe we can sit together at lunch if there aren't any seats!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2021, 11:59

keyboardjoy wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:01
[…] I came across this forum serendipitously when seeking advice about how to adapt my keyboard […]

[…] Years back I was a moderator for a couple of pretty niche forums (one was fountain pens, but I digress)... and when I came across Deskthority […]
My hope is you won’t abandon keyboards like you apparently did fountain pens.
After all, e.g. refrigerators or clock radios can certainly be a thrilling alternative :lol:
[…] As for me personally, I'm in my mid-20s […]
You schockingly enough approximately reflect the overall age structure of DT members (says one who definitely doesn’t):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13274
but as you intrepidously (and nowadays untrendy, to say the least) confess your favorite switch is a Cherry MX,
I think you deserve a fair chance :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

16 Mar 2021, 12:04

kbdfr wrote:
[...]
but as you intrepidously (and nowadays untrendy, to say the least) confess your favorite switch is a Cherry MX,
Spoiler:
At least it's blues instead of browns. :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2021, 12:06

We'd know we were dealing with a psycho if it were clears.

depletedvespene

16 Mar 2021, 12:07

Muirium wrote:
I... uuuuuh... :?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Mar 2021, 12:09

Muirium wrote:
*heavy breathing*

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2021, 12:20

kbdfr wrote:
[…] you intrepidously (and nowadays untrendy, to say the least) confess your favorite switch is a Cherry MX […]
I know how to derail a thread :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Mar 2021, 12:41

depletedvespene wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
[...]
Spoiler:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1626

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2021, 12:45

webwit wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
[...]
Spoiler:
That was 9 years ago - a time when most of current DT members had probably not entered school yet :lol:

depletedvespene

16 Mar 2021, 12:46

kbdfr wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:45
That was 9 years ago - a time when most of current DT members had probably not entered school yet :lol:
Time for the 2021 redux poll, then.

sharktastica

16 Mar 2021, 12:46

webwit wrote:
How times have changed, eh?

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2021, 13:00

Topre coming last?
Alps not even in the contest?

Was this the branching moment when our world wound up on this bass ackwards shitty timeline?

Still, at least clears weren’t considered. :P

sharktastica

16 Mar 2021, 13:05

keyboardjoy wrote:
Years back I was a moderator for a couple of pretty niche forums (one was fountain pens, but I digress)... and when I came across Deskthority I was impressed by the quality of this community. I then noticed that DT was seeking a new owner, I was intrigued and reached out to the admins.
Glad you liked the appeal. Keyboards are indeed nuanced science with a lot to explore and learn, we're the biggest forum for keyboards that hasn't descended into RGB and race to the bottom of key counts.
keyboardjoy wrote:
Thirdly, this strikes me as an opportunity to preserve the community but also invest in its development, initially from an infrastructure point of view, which will be done delicately with full awareness of the importance of the preservation of the rich information that you have all built up over time. I believe there is room for growth and I'd like to use my experience to help develop more attention for the community, through deeper community engagement, and perhaps a crowd-sourced blog.
That's an honourable goal and I'm very curious to see how you'll do it. I would also add promotion of respect to your list - I'm not referring to any particular person or event nor is this limited to DT itself, but I'd be lying if I said there were no egos in the community or that everyone respects each other's choices. I sure at some point, we're all guilty of it. :lol:
keyboardjoy wrote:
This is new to me too and I'm going to rely on you to help guide me, and I hope you may be receptive to some of my new ideas. A user-generated blog is on my list, perhaps some of you may wish to contribute.
I would indeed consider contributing!
keyboardjoy wrote:
As for me personally, I'm in my mid-20s, currently based in London but hail from Scotland. I come from a tech background and was brought up to love computers and all things associated by my father, who is himself a computer scientist and mechanical keyboard enthusiast.
Ah, a fellow Celt. Shame about living in London! ;)

Jokes aside, cheers for the response.

NeK

16 Mar 2021, 13:13

Welcome to DT Oliver. I hope you make a positive impact to it going forward. I myself, have a huge background on forum and communities like this one. I created, and still own, one of the biggest communities in my country, so I definetely understand the value and what a big challenge this is to take.

For market reasons, I would love you and webwit to disclose the amount of the sale deal. That would be great because it will give us an insight of how a high quality niche community and a well curated wiki is worth.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2021, 14:49

NeK wrote:
[…] For market reasons, I would love you and webwit to disclose the amount of the sale deal. That would be great because it will give us an insight of how a high quality niche community and a well curated wiki is worth. […]
I would rather oppose that. It would most certainly trigger a fierce discussion about the market value of DT as opposed to its intrinsic value, which to me is what matters.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 Mar 2021, 14:59

keyboardjoy wrote:

My motivations for buying DT are several.

The first is, I really enjoyed moderating forums in the past and I relish the opportunity to delve back in.

Secondly, the acquisition was to protect the integrity of the wiki. Throughout my career I have been involved in open source communities, in some I played a role in governance. I am still on the committee of a couple of major open source software foundations. I truly value the importance of communities, trust and having access to pooled knowledge resources.

Thirdly, this strikes me as an opportunity to preserve the community but also invest in its development, initially from an infrastructure point of view, which will be done delicately with full awareness of the importance of the preservation of the rich information that you have all built up over time. I believe there is room for growth and I'd like to use my experience to help develop more attention for the community, through deeper community engagement, and perhaps a crowd-sourced blog.

Also, everyone needs a hobby... keyboards are relatively new to me and I am excited to be able to combine my new interest with working with you to help sustain and develop this community.

Perhaps this post won't satisfy some - with a low post count, generic username and a new account, I almost feel like an intruder. I have discussed this carefully with webwit and he is still there, standing behind me to help direct what this new relationship with the community may look like.

This is new to me too and I'm going to rely on you to help guide me, and I hope you may be receptive to some of my new ideas. A user-generated blog is on my list, perhaps some of you may wish to contribute.
Well this is quite a relief! I must say it looks like webwit chose the perfect person to take up the mantle of Deskthority owner.

Words like open-source, quality, and preservation are all very pleasing to hear. If you need any work done on the web development side of things, I am an aspiring web developer looking to contribute to open-source projects so feel free to PM me for help. Maybe me and Shark can tag team this ;)
NeK wrote:
Welcome to DT Oliver. I hope you make a positive impact to it going forward. I myself, have a huge background on forum and communities like this one. I created, and still own, one of the biggest communities in my country, so I definetely understand the value and what a big challenge this is to take.

For market reasons, I would love you and webwit to disclose the amount of the sale deal. That would be great because it will give us an insight of how a high quality niche community and a well curated wiki is worth.
I very much would like to know this too, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's because we as a community need insight as to what the community is worth, I'm just personally super curious :lol:

depletedvespene

16 Mar 2021, 15:15

kbdfr wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:49
NeK wrote:
[…] For market reasons, I would love you and webwit to disclose the amount of the sale deal. That would be great because it will give us an insight of how a high quality niche community and a well curated wiki is worth. […]
I would rather oppose that. It would most certainly trigger a fierce discussion about the market value of DT as opposed to its intrinsic value, which to me is what matters.
I... actually agree with kbdfr.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Mar 2021, 15:30

depletedvespene wrote:
It's commonly assumed that everyone on DT agrees with kbdfr unless you actively object.

tinnie

16 Mar 2021, 15:42

Wodan wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
It's commonly assumed that everyone on DT agrees with kbdfr unless you actively object.
:lol:

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2021, 16:46

Welcome keyboardjoy,

I'm very new to this community myself! I've barely been on DT a month but I've found it to be a very welcoming community. There's plenty of knowledge and fruitful discourse - I love it here.

I like your mission statement and look forward to seeing DT thrive under your stewardship.

P.S.

I like Clears :shock:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Mar 2021, 17:34

tinnie wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 15:42
Wodan wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
:lol:
Thank you for defining me as the opposite of ripster :lol:

RBithrey

16 Mar 2021, 21:35

Welcome, Oliver! Will be nice to have you on-board.

trax

16 Mar 2021, 22:01

Welcome Oliver! Good luck.

ZedTheMan

16 Mar 2021, 23:00

I must say. You had concerns of coming off as an intruder, and, given all prior information, it seemed as if you were.

But, you gave a good introduction, if it is sincere, then you will have earned my respect, and I wish this forum and the wiki, and yourself, the best regardless. And, you have Webwit's blessings. I've trusted the administration of this site so far, so graces must be given for this.

I am seconding the call to know, maybe, some of the other communities you have moderated/involved yourself in, because I think looking at those could help put more immediate weight in your words and to help harbor more trust among the skeptics in us.

Oliver, welcome to DT, from me! I'm open to contributing how I can in improving it, let us all ensure Deskthority has a brighter future together!

(Also, if we are to ever make changes in this regard, I do recommend promotion of the DT merchandise, I am a fan of my mug, haha.)

Weezer

17 Mar 2021, 02:43

keyboardjoy wrote:
perhaps some of you may wish to contribute.
I guess some of my questions after reading through this thread are:

-Why did you stop being a moderator on the other forums?
-What will prevent you from losing interest in a new hobby that you had a cursory interest in before finding the forum?
-What does a crowd sourced blog look like in your vision?
-What is the room for growth that you see?
-What does "more attention for the community" look like?
-What does deeper community engagement look like in your vision?
-Why are you in this for the long haul? What will keep you coming back as the owner in 4 years?

Palatino

17 Mar 2021, 11:57

And I'd also like to know:
- what is your name?
- what is your quest?
- and what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2021, 12:03

What is your alignment? I'm lawful neutral myself.

shine

17 Mar 2021, 12:08

Welcome keyboardjoy!!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Mar 2021, 12:15

Muirium wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:03
What is your alignment? I'm lawful neutral myself.
I prefer chaotic good

Return to “Deskthority talk”