Why are you into keyboards?

hellothere

24 Mar 2021, 18:24

Probably me. I know that there was at least one other kb that was selling, but that one didn't have Windows keys.

While the sound they make is kinda cool, I found them to be a bit bindy on far-off-center key presses. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't really type like your normal person, so that might be more me than anything else. Also, I did not care for the original keycaps. Probably silk-screened or pad-printed. As mentioned in the ad, I replaced all of them with double-shots, except for the bottom row.
The previous owner had retr0brighted the caps until the legends were fairly washed out. All that being said, the buyer got the kb at a really decent price. He might be able to get a profit just by parting it out.

dogskipper

26 Mar 2021, 15:32

I write a lot for my research so I might as well make it slightly more appetising.

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 15:43

• They're part of my daily life (gaming, typing essays or messages, browsing, etc).
  • I love the tinkering aspect as well as the satisfaction I get from restoring really old ones because it's like breathing life into a useful tool.
  • Each keyboard can have it's own charm and character to them--including what is the most quintessential appeal to all keyboard enthusiasts, which is the typing experience that can vary from all different brands and switches.
  • There's a layer of excitement for me when trying new switches because there's a slight ASMR appeal as well as the feel each one gives (my personal favourite is VERY tactile keyboards).
  • And I just enjoy the history and the community revolving around keyboard buffs, and it's mainly from watching Chyrosran's videos that I know so much about keyboards and have come to respect a lot of the nuances and character (or lack thereof) that each keyboard posesses.
  • It's just fun and humans have an inherant desire to collect and find niche hobbies.

Bjerrk

26 Mar 2021, 15:45

dogskipper wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 15:32
I write a lot for my research so I might as well make it slightly more appetising.
Absolutely, that's legit!
But the same goes for my office chair. I sit in it a lot, so I might as well have a good one. But most of the people here (myself included) are into keyboards on a level that far surpasses their interest in office chairs :D

(awaits the influx of office chair nerds)

hellothere

26 Mar 2021, 15:55

SteelCase Leap, FTW! You did ask for it.

Mine's a couple years old and was "remanufactured." I searched a looong time to find a very ergonomic chair that was inexpensive and had, at the very least, swivel and height adjustments for the arm rests.

I think the Herman Miller Aeron is OK. I would like more padding. The Embody is about perfect, but I can't justify the cost.

Go-Kart

26 Mar 2021, 19:27

I consider height adjustable arm rests essential.

Spockmaster

26 Mar 2021, 20:33

Lots of different reasons, I'm finding. Last spring I only had one keyboard (Corsair K68 with MX Reds) and it had been my first mechanical keyboard since the Model F with my Dad's 5150 almost 30 years ago. Now I have 5, and will have 6 by next week as I have one in transit. That also doesn't include the Corsair, I mailed that to my younger brother.

- I really like the typing feel of keyboards. Like, really like it. Especially tactile, both pure tactile and clicky. And I like having lots of variety, I swap out a number of different keyboards on a semi-daily basis because I enjoy switching it up.
- I really like the sound. Typing sound is really important to me.
- I really like the physical act of typing, though I'm not super sure why.

Anyways, I should probably stop buying more keyboards before my wife kills me in my sleep.

TNT

31 Mar 2021, 21:59

Ohh, I think I've just found a new niche to sink some money into: Vintage ergonomic gaming chairs!

MMcM

31 Mar 2021, 22:30

hellothere wrote:
I think the Herman Miller Aeron is OK. I would like more padding.
Been using an Ergon since they came out forty-odd years go.

Rayndalf

01 Apr 2021, 02:34

hellothere wrote:
SteelCase Leap, FTW! You did ask for it.

Mine's a couple years old and was "remanufactured." I searched a looong time to find a very ergonomic chair that was inexpensive and had, at the very least, swivel and height adjustments for the arm rests.

I think the Herman Miller Aeron is OK. I would like more padding. The Embody is about perfect, but I can't justify the cost.
I've really thought about picking up an old Aeron to match my Kinesis Advantage (and a Marble Man FX) to really capture the 90's carpel tunnel scare + dot com bubble vibe. All three are remarkable proscriptive with how the user uses them, typing with the wrong fingers or slouching are basically impossible.

But I don't use chairs with armrests. My current chair came out of a 90's Mercedes C class, but I never got the angling right. The padding is great though, foam + springs covered in black pleather is surprisingly comfortable even after several hours.

Something like a SteelCase Leap is a good thing to consider... I don't want to pay "keyboard prices" for a used chair :lol:
MMcM wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 22:30
hellothere wrote:
I think the Herman Miller Aeron is OK. I would like more padding.
Been using an Ergon since they came out forty-odd years go.
I think I'll look into this, I love "bubbly" ergonomic products, they look more comfortable than the skeletal (mesh chairs, logitech space ship mice) that came later.

ddrfraser1

01 Apr 2021, 04:50

Bjerrk wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 21:07
Why are you into keyboards?
I saw this sitting on my CFO’s desk in 2018

32B264B1-B8E8-472E-B784-7B1B2B56036F.jpeg
32B264B1-B8E8-472E-B784-7B1B2B56036F.jpeg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1398 times
B02734B8-9693-43DB-AD74-F0F2213B0D86.jpeg
B02734B8-9693-43DB-AD74-F0F2213B0D86.jpeg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
E7D6F3AD-7873-455E-BD64-9B3521AD1EC9.jpeg
E7D6F3AD-7873-455E-BD64-9B3521AD1EC9.jpeg (564.88 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
4DE9D0EE-10C5-4D73-A01D-BEF799B5E940.jpeg
4DE9D0EE-10C5-4D73-A01D-BEF799B5E940.jpeg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Now I own 60+ keyboards.

He still has just the one.

Tristor

02 Apr 2021, 02:27

I'm into keyboards because my entire life since I was a child has been structured in some fashion around computers. Beginning as a teenager it became my career. To me, the input devices you use on your computer is one of the most critical things to understand. It's the thing that gives a computer its soul, and there's a sort of intimacy that comes from typing and using input devices that is absent is so much of the rest of the process of computing. In so many ways, you could say that everything you make a computer to do starts with the keyboard, no matter how grandiose it becomes, and for that reason it's absolutely crucial to me to have a complete understanding of the keyboards I use as well as a deep connection to their use.

Xcore

02 Apr 2021, 17:26

I really like typing. And typing on a good keyboard is just nicer than typing on a "bad" keyboard. 😃

Return to “Keyboards”