Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 16:00

HalfSlav wrote:
28 May 2021, 15:48
Easy_Spinach wrote:
28 May 2021, 13:40
so for french toast mix add full fat milk and 4 egg yolks to a large bowl, then half a cup of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon sugar or regular cinnamon dip it in whatever bowl you like suggested pie plate. then dip it for 30 seconds on each side, then cook in butter with non stick or cast iron idk what you like and server with any condiment like whipped cream or mango, anything you like.
Alternatively, skip the sugar and cinammon and add a bit of salt, real tasty with cream cheese, ham, and cheese :D
Oh wow, I love that idea. Going to try. Thanks

headphone_jack

28 May 2021, 16:21

Homemade Texas toast seems to be the best for french toast, since it really soaks up all the batter. I recommend watching the binging with babish on it, really taught me how to make my toast well. And you can NEVER have too much cinnamon.

darkcruix

28 May 2021, 16:42

headphone_jack wrote:
28 May 2021, 16:21
Homemade Texas toast seems to be the best for french toast, since it really soaks up all the batter. I recommend watching the binging with babish on it, really taught me how to make my toast well. And you can NEVER have too much cinnamon.
Hard to get here - do you have a recipe?

JP!

28 May 2021, 16:45

darkcruix wrote:
Sorry, it is not open source. You will have to reverse engineer the recipe. :twisted:

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 16:47

Time to doxx jack over a toast I guess

darkcruix

28 May 2021, 16:54

JP! wrote:
28 May 2021, 16:45
darkcruix wrote:
Sorry, it is not open source. You will have to reverse engineer the recipe. :twisted:
... with that, I stick with my Brioche - don't want to go down that route with lawyers etc. - just in case.
Maybe I will get my own flavor of bread created for it.

esr

28 May 2021, 16:57

Razerban wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:16
Well, I've just finished reading the whole 9 pages of this thread... WOW what a journey!
Just adding more information to this thread hoping that it could help: https://trello.com/c/49xeEOPm/15-arakul ... -converter
Thank you, that is useful and I have just added it to the evidence summary.

esr

28 May 2021, 16:58

Razerban wrote:
28 May 2021, 02:02
Apparently, he was able to upload it to a repository on GitHub too: https://github.com/antonizoon/arakulas- ... -converter
I have also added this to the evidence summary.

esr

28 May 2021, 17:02

zrrion wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:09
I'm sure esr's imaginary lawyers (someone should start a thread to doxxsearch for them while we're at it) will think even worse of us now that posting has descended to such despicable lows.
My "imaginary" lawyer is telling me I don't need this aggravation and should absent myself for my own sanity.

Attorney has a point, but I like to finish the things I start.

esr

28 May 2021, 17:08

Muirium wrote:
28 May 2021, 02:18
How did the clean room version get made? Did they analyse Soarer’s hex file and document its behaviours? Or did they read Arakula’s source.

One of those rooms is cleaner than the other. ;)

But neither method is actually legal to open source without Soarer’s explicit permission. That’s the quandary he left us with his unlicensed code, just as esr lays out in the OP.
That's actually not true, at least not under U.S. law. If it was done the first way, it's entirely legal. That's how PC clonemakers were able to produce an IBM-compatible BIOS back in the 1980s.

Now one of the main questions is whether it was in fact properly cleanroomed. If it was, the entire problem is solved and we no longer need to find Soarer.

Easy_Spinach

Sorry Sir, but this is now a french toast discussion.

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 17:09

Going to get some groceries for this. BRB.

headphone_jack

28 May 2021, 17:15

esr wrote:
28 May 2021, 17:02
zrrion wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:09
I'm sure esr's imaginary lawyers (someone should start a thread to doxxsearch for them while we're at it) will think even worse of us now that posting has descended to such despicable lows.
My "imaginary" lawyer is telling me I don't need this aggravation and should absent myself for my own sanity.

Attorney has a point, but I like to finish the things I start.
Can your lawyer make a good breakfast though? If not, probably not worth listening to.

shallot

28 May 2021, 17:23

Personally, my favourite breakfast is lawyers, preferably al dente.

Easy-spinach

28 May 2021, 17:33

French toast mix add full fat milk or half and half and 2-3 egg yolks to a large bowl, then half a teaspoon of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon sugar or regular cinnamon dip and nutmeg freshly grated if you can but the pre grated stuff also work. Pour it in whatever bowl you like suggested pie plate. For bread I would recommend brioche, Texas toast and other bread just not white or wheat. dip it for 25 seconds on each side, then cook in butter with non stick or cast iron. I don't know what you like and serve with any condiment, anything you like. My preferred are whipped cream and fruit or you could try cream cheese and ham

Easy-spinach

Also this is a revised version

esr

28 May 2021, 17:44

esr wrote:
Now one of the main questions is whether it was in fact properly cleanroomed. If it was, the entire problem is solved and we no longer need to find Soarer.
I spoke too soon. This public version of Arakula's code has no license (I'll call it the "Antonizoon" code).

However, for those of you who think tracking down Soarer would be some sort of ultimate crime, here is now a possible way forward that doesn't involve that.

1. Someone (call her Alice) verifies that compiling the Antonizoon source produces a hex blob that is a drop-in-replacement for Soarer's. Can't be me as I don't have a Windows machine or the Windows dev tools.

2. Someone else (call him Bob) then writes an implementation based on what Alice tells him about the Antonizoon code's interfaces and assumptions. It should go to Github or Gitlab or some other public open source repository.

3. Dammit, get the licensing right this time! I recommend 2-clause BSD or equivalent. Include it in your first commit so the community doesn't get stuck like this again.

When the Bob implementation is verified to produce a working controller I'm willing to pitch in to develop a build and firmware-load procedure for Linux - also I'm pretty sure I could improve the rather scanty documentation.
Last edited by esr on 28 May 2021, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

nobatron

28 May 2021, 17:51

esr wrote:
However, for those of you who think tracking down Soarer would be some sort of ultimate crime, here is now a possible way forward that doesn't involve that.

1. Someone (call her Alice) verifies that compiling the Antonizoon source produces a hex blob that is a drop-in-replacement for Soarer's. Can't be me as I don't have a Windows machine or the Windows dev tools.

2. Someone else (call him Bob) then writes an implementation based on what Alice tells him about the Antonizoon code's interfaces and assumptions.

3. Dammit, get the licensing right this time! I recommend 2-clause BSD or equivalent. Includeed it in your first commit so the community doesn't get stuck like thus again.
so clean rooming?

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 17:54

Easy-spinach wrote:
Also this is a revised version
OMG easy-spinach. Who are you. Imposter. Identify.

shallot

28 May 2021, 17:56

so, clean-rooming?

v.equals.c.rhino

28 May 2021, 17:58

Easy_Spinach vs. Easy-Spinach

Who will win???

lis0r

28 May 2021, 17:59

If only someone had suggested this earlier, we could have saved all this strife and gotten a head start!

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 18:01

v.equals.c.rhino wrote:

Who will win???
Nice formatting, bro.

esr

28 May 2021, 18:07

shallot wrote:
28 May 2021, 17:56
so, clean-rooming?
Yes. It would be inferior to getting clear rights to decompiled Soarer's code - subtle incompatibilities are very hard to avoid in a rewrite. But it's possible.

I think it would be best to pursue both paths. After all, rewrites have a nasty habit of not getting finished.

There's a third alternative, which is for someone to simply fork the Antonizoon code and put a BSD license on it.

A week ago I would have done that myself with a clean conscience based on Soarer's expressed intent to open-source, because the risk of damages in the U.S. is realistically capped at $200 outside of a really grotesquely unlikely scenario. But my interest in going out of my way for the DT crowd has sharply diminished over the course of this thread.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 May 2021, 18:09

esr wrote:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... tools.aspx

Instead of delegating it to someone else in this thread why don't you do it? If you are such a good programmer and hacker surely installing windows isn't beneath you?

v.equals.c.rhino

28 May 2021, 18:11

Easy_Spinach wrote:
v.equals.c.rhino wrote:

Who will win???
Nice formatting, bro.
Why assume gender

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 18:14

esr wrote:
A week ago I would have done that myself with a clean conscience … But my interest in going out of my way for the DT crowd has sharply diminished over the course of this thread.
If I were you: I’d go “fuck it” too. This thread is everything wrong with Internet pile on masturbatory lulz nonsense. It’s easy to think every other on the forum must be like this, if you’re new here. Fortunately not. Or I wouldn’t still be around after all these years.

Can we fork the forum? I wanna be able to ban folk for life, as a matter of interface usability. 8-)

ntv242ver2

28 May 2021, 18:19

esr wrote:

A week ago I would have done that myself with a clean conscience based on Soarer's expressed intent to open-source, because the risk of damages in the U.S. is realistically capped at $200 outside of a really grotesquely unlikely scenario. But my interest in going out of my way for the DT crowd has sharply diminished over the course of this thread.
Apparently the fact that a community can be diverse is so beyond you lmao. Arent people that stroking you pee pee since the start also part of said community? Dont get me wrong, oh my such a big loss that you wont do it for me. Because i cant care less. But i just find it hilarious that you generalize everyone here as DT crowd at any chance.

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 18:26

v.equals.c.rhino wrote:
28 May 2021, 18:11
Easy_Spinach wrote:
v.equals.c.rhino wrote:

Who will win???
Nice formatting, bro.
Why assume gender
@zrrion what is non binary for "bro"?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 May 2021, 18:32

Easy_Spinach wrote:
28 May 2021, 18:26
@zrrion what is non binary for "bro"?
I think ur just supposed to call everyone they/them as not to offend anyone. Bro and gal are sexist terms.

Return to “Workshop”