Post your desktop.

invalid mr_a500

21 Oct 2021, 01:02

TNT wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 00:49
That's hilarious and concerning at the same time. Sounds like he could really damage something if he wanted to. Better teach him about the current value of all this stuff next time you catch him red-handed.
It's difficult to get angry at him because he always looks up at me with innocent stares. Even when he knows he's doing something he's not supposed to, he keeps trying to get away with it. I tried to keep him off the counter, but he jumped and climbed the telephone cord like he was some kind of commando.

I'm going to have to kick him out though. I caught him eating a peanut on my Teletype keyboard, leaving shell pieces between the keys. That's something I just can't tolerate.

Go-Kart

23 Oct 2021, 16:29

My actual PC is unfortunately obscured... At least the keyboard selection is easily discernible! This is my desk when I'm working from home. I swap out two of the three keyboards present each week. Those two for work, then an Apex Pro for CoD as soon as it hits 1700 hrs!
WFH.jpg
WFH.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 9178 times

wobbled

24 Oct 2021, 01:55

Go-Kart wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 16:29
My actual PC is unfortunately obscured... At least the keyboard selection is easily discernible! This is my desk when I'm working from home. I swap out two of the three keyboards present each week. Those two for work, then an Apex Pro for CoD as soon as it hits 1700 hrs!

WFH.jpg
Looks like a nice WFH setup Go-Kart, does the laptop power any of the monitors, or do they both go back to the obscured PC? I see two mice so your setup for peripherals has me intrigued.
Also do you have a favourite keyboard of the three for general typing, I can't say I've ever tried any steelseries products - at that price range Topre & IBM have my attention of which I'll use an F77 for games & HHKB for everything else.

Go-Kart

24 Oct 2021, 10:27

Laptop goes into the middle monitor, along with a full size keyboard of some description and an ergo mouse. I have my personal computer into the 32" on the right while I work. I work in financial services and sometimes have to test website functionality with different OS or a VPN, etc.. It's just easier to use my personal system, rather than trying to get work to give me a second system with the flexibility I'd need.

On my personal PC, I tend to run one of my smaller gaming mice, along with a smaller board, like a Pok3r for the sake of desk space. Favourite gaming mouse right now is Razer's Orochi V2.

The Apex Pro is great for gaming but a hair light for typing for myself. During lockdown, I was playing a lot of CoD and my Pok3r with Razer Oranges was great but it could get a little fatiguing after an hour or so. The Steelseries has alleviated that issue. It kinda feels wrong to have a pricy keyboard JUST for CoD but that's more down to most other games I've tried of late being underwhelming/unfinished buggy garbage.

For typing, I go back and forth between Topre and some variety of Alps. When I'm in the flow, my HHKB/Epson B10 combo allows me to flow unimpeded, in part due to the layout.

I am still intrigued by an F, still having never tried one. However, I STILL have my M to fix up, and that's not to mention the Z-150 I've just got! So many keyboards, so little time...

wobbled

24 Oct 2021, 15:17

Go-Kart wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 10:27
Laptop goes into the middle monitor, along with a full size keyboard of some description and an ergo mouse. I have my personal computer into the 32" on the right while I work. I work in financial services and sometimes have to test website functionality with different OS or a VPN, etc.. It's just easier to use my personal system, rather than trying to get work to give me a second system with the flexibility I'd need.

On my personal PC, I tend to run one of my smaller gaming mice, along with a smaller board, like a Pok3r for the sake of desk space. Favourite gaming mouse right now is Razer's Orochi V2.

The Apex Pro is great for gaming but a hair light for typing for myself. During lockdown, I was playing a lot of CoD and my Pok3r with Razer Oranges was great but it could get a little fatiguing after an hour or so. The Steelseries has alleviated that issue. It kinda feels wrong to have a pricy keyboard JUST for CoD but that's more down to most other games I've tried of late being underwhelming/unfinished buggy garbage.

For typing, I go back and forth between Topre and some variety of Alps. When I'm in the flow, my HHKB/Epson B10 combo allows me to flow unimpeded, in part due to the layout.

I am still intrigued by an F, still having never tried one. However, I STILL have my M to fix up, and that's not to mention the Z-150 I've just got! So many keyboards, so little time...
Ah ok that makes more sense, me being cheap I'd just set up a virtual machine on the work PC and drag it over to the right-hand screen. Though I'm guessing your IT Department doesn't allow for that.

That's honestly the first time in a long time I've heard someone mention the Pok3r, I remember owning one with MX Clears back when they first came out and holy hell that thing tired my fingers out. Not sure how their weightings compare to that of buckling spring or 55g topre, but it was definitely tiring.

If you get chance to pick up an F, or even to borrow one then definitely give it a try. They're basically Model Ms that feel lighter, smoother, and more tactile with a louder ping than the M springs. I know what you mean with 'so many keyboards, so little time' I'm glad I could narrow down my collection to purely topre and buckling spring. The only other key switch I miss dearly is Alps Blue SKCM, but given that they are so overpriced I guess I can live without them for the time being.

Anyway! Love the setup :D

davkol

24 Oct 2021, 22:02

Swapped desks and monitors. Corgi for scale.

joebeazelman

25 Oct 2021, 06:17

Can someone post a completely loaded deck with foot pedals?

schwi

31 Oct 2021, 19:45

ah, there is a thread for this. i took this photo recently.

Go-Kart

01 Nov 2021, 22:32

wobbled wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 15:17
The only other key switch I miss dearly is Alps Blue SKCM, but given that they are so overpriced I guess I can live without them for the time being.

Anyway! Love the setup :D
Some days I can't describe how much my linearised Bigfoot pleases me. And I do enjoy typing on MX boards from time to time. I've been wanting to narrow it all down to a handful of late but my preferences change from week to week... I'm glad to not have tried an F to be honest, it's one more keyboard I'd have to own!

Go-Kart

01 Nov 2021, 22:33

schwi wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 19:45
ah, there is a thread for this. i took this photo recently.
This looks very fun, please explain! Is this work, a Friday night in or some mix of both!?

Palatino

01 Nov 2021, 23:00

You beat me to it. This cheered me up so much. Best desktop shot yet!

schwi

01 Nov 2021, 23:58

Go-Kart wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 22:33
This looks very fun, please explain! Is this work, a Friday night in or some mix of both!?
well, it was a walk in closet. i moved my setup into here because our home is small so i have to share a room with my 2 brothers.
it's always sort of a mess, but i still like it in here. it's cozy.

i don't really do any work really. i'm the laziest person ever, and still finishing my last years of school. but i don't need to do homework to get at least a passing grade, so no work ever gets done here. the occasional essay gets written on the macintosh plus, though. (which is currently buried, oops)

all that really ever goes on is the usual lazy person stuff, watching youtube, playing minecraft, and listening to music.

think that about sums up everything and more, but can always ask more.

wobbled

02 Nov 2021, 00:17

Sharing a room with two brothers? Ouch... I hope you're a guy at least?
Sorta hard to tell with the whole anime doll thing sometimes (I mean that in the nicest possible way - I aint judging)

v.equals.c.rhino

02 Nov 2021, 01:25

wobbled wrote:
What are you trying to imply? :shock:

wobbled

02 Nov 2021, 01:35

v.equals.c.rhino wrote:
wobbled wrote:
That a female sharing a room with two brothers would be really shit for privacy?

schwi

02 Nov 2021, 02:04

wobbled wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 01:35
v.equals.c.rhino wrote:
wobbled wrote:
That a female sharing a room with two brothers would be really shit for privacy?
well, privacy is why i moved my setup into the closet.
also due to my hoarding tendencies, my parents have let me use the garage, so i can go there as well. (however my dad has moved out, and his stuff in the garage has been sitting in boxes for months because he's too lazy to take it i guess, which is unfortunately taking up a large portion of the space)
it doesn't have insulation though, otherwise i'd move into there, Lol.

my older brother usually spends his time in the living room, and my little on his own computer, because i think as siblings we all want nothing to do with each other.

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2021, 09:53

The old boy needs to start paying rent on his storage facility. Otherwise: that junk will never leave the garage! ;)

I’m envious of the Mac. I could have done all my teenage writing on a wee machine like that, but I didn’t get a computer all to myself till I was 18 and the dodgy little Intel fucker kept losing it! Put me off computers completely for a while. Only really came back when I saw the 12” PowerBook. You will be mine, oh yes, you will be mine…

I can relate with the need to have your own private space in a small house. Been there with my two brothers, too. But I must admit I’m glad we didn’t have YouTube back then. The last thing I needed was even more time holed up in the bunker. Honestly looking back, I should have broken more rules and gotten into more trouble outside. It helps to be fluent in handling all that (and getting caught) at a younger age than when I picked up those vital skills. :lol:

TNT

02 Nov 2021, 17:40

The Mac plus is very nice! I love the idea of writing essays and such on this little thing :3
Do you print em out on that Imagewriter next to it?

And also is that a portable pc underneath the Mac?

schwi

02 Nov 2021, 18:47

TNT wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 17:40
The Mac plus is very nice! I love the idea of writing essays and such on this little thing :3
Do you print em out on that Imagewriter next to it?

And also is that a portable pc underneath the Mac?
no, i hand in 3.5 floppies with my essays on them~

kidding, of course, the imagewriter is indeed used for printing.

underneath it is a compaq portable. sometimes ill play tetris or pacman on it. :p

"iq test" is also an interesting fun one xD

Shifty

29 Dec 2021, 10:07

I am firmly on team messy desk (strategically cropped out most of the mess). sorry for bad image quality.

Muirium
µ

29 Dec 2021, 11:34

Interesting numpad. I recognise that layout, but my fingers would not! ;)
Spoiler:

dfischer429

10 Apr 2022, 02:22

Still a work in progress but this is my current setup:
IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG (3.87 MiB) Viewed 5986 times

TNT

10 Apr 2022, 08:19

Very nice!

ThermometerSandwich

13 Apr 2022, 21:54

It needs some cable management, but here's the setup sofar.
Desk_and_WIP_Model_F_cap
Desk_and_WIP_Model_F_cap
20220413_154752.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 5778 times

guidemetothelight

21 Apr 2022, 08:59

ThermometerSandwich wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 21:54
It needs some cable management, but here's the setup sofar. 20220413_154752.jpg
love it ! the cutting safe work surface really ties the whole thing together , very beauitful yet practical :)

CaesarAZealad

21 Jun 2022, 00:49

Reading this thread almost makes me want to clean my desk enough to take pictures of it, but I know in a matter of minutes It'll be covered in Dr Pepper cans and switch parts.

depletedvespene

21 Jun 2022, 20:58

CaesarAZealad wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 00:49
Reading this thread almost makes me want to clean my desk enough to take pictures of it, but I know in a matter of minutes It'll be covered in Dr Pepper cans and switch parts.
Always a good thing to do, even if the state of clean orderliness is just fleeting — especially on a makeshift setup, like mine currently is.

Current setup.
Current setup.
makeshiftdesktop.jpg (251.94 KiB) Viewed 4496 times

invalid mr_a500

03 Jul 2022, 22:37

If anybody has ever wondered which wood squirrel has tested the most keyboards in history (...but who the hell would?) I must say that the record has been broken - again! This frigging guy here, "dishwasher guy #2"

little guy eating on chair.JPG
..so named because he found a way to enter the house under the dishwasher whenever he damn-well pleases - has tested every keyboard switch I have, from Beam Spring to Alps, to Key Tronic to Cherry - every frigging keyboard from 1971 to 1988. He doesn't care if it's a rare, valuable GIGI keyboard or an APL Beam Spring. He grabs a nut and taps it with his nose like he's typing an urgent email. Then that little bastard starts searching for more nuts to stuff. There are hazelnuts and walnuts in most of the keyboards in my computer room:

Desktop.jpg

The worst part is that I can't stop him. He starts coming in at 6am! Son of a bitch.

Muirium
µ

04 Jul 2022, 00:03

Our gingers are better behaved. (The Gaelic term for them is feorag ruadh literally ginger squirrel, as that they are; excepting the usual brazen connotations. Grey squirrels are feorag glas maybe because they’re Glaswegian; chippy bastards!)

invalid mr_a500

04 Jul 2022, 00:33

Our little red squirrels are angry bastards. Just take a look at this guy in my living room:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/55SFnTbIp5bH/

(pity there's no embedded Bitchute)

Return to “Gallery”