The Retro Gamers' topic

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 11:53

I reckon I'm not the only one here who enjoys classic games as well as classic keyboards! ;)
I'm not much of a gamer, actually, and I haven't played any newly released game in maybe ten years. But I do like the oldies and have been dusting my Super Nintendo from time to time. I'm positively a Nintendo man and I rank the vintage Mario and Zelda games among my all-time favorites – though maybe my number one favorite game could be Final Fantasy VII.
How about you guys? Are you into retro gaming? What are your favorite games/consoles?

off

12 Jun 2012, 12:03

What's that 'retro gaming' supposed to be?
I mean, I've played awesome games in most times, and some still stick with me as 'the classics', i.e. nearly pure gold.
Some of those would be Super Mario World, Final Fantasy VII, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden Black, Chu Chu Rocket, Bomberman World, Digger, Tekken3, Sonic (something), Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and if I don't stop to post this now the list will probably be endless...
But there's the thing, if I were to play those games again right now, they have all lost some of their former glory; the experience will not match the memory, it will befoul it probably!
Sometimes I still play oldies though from time to time, but mostly newer games that try to stay true to the values that made those great. Gaming is such a timesink; like DT by now for me.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 12:04

Best console ever is Dreamcast. I enjoy to many different type of games to pick one.

Also, come on. FF7 is good but I don't see why everyone says it's the best game. It's not even the best FF, ff4 is. :)
If you want to check out a good old school RPG, pick up crono trigger.

Maarten

12 Jun 2012, 12:08

The wife and i enjoy a game of F-Zero X on the N64 from time to time. Theres just some honest simple charm to vintage games that the more modern ones lack for some reason.

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 12:12

I loved Chrono Trigger. I could only play it on emulators though, it was never available in PAL version.
And the N64 is still kind of underrated. There were seriously great games on it.

Mrinterface

12 Jun 2012, 12:15

These retro games spring to mind. I still play them now and again on simulators.

Elite ( on a zx spectrum )
Tetris ( on an atari ST )
Bubble Bobble ( multiplayer on atari ST )

off

12 Jun 2012, 12:44

fossala wrote:Best console ever is Dreamcast. I enjoy to many different type of games to pick one.
Also, come on. FF7 is good but I don't see why everyone says it's the best game. It's not even the best FF, ff4 is. :)
FF7 was simply the first I played, liked VIII and X as well; but 7 made it's way into my heart first. :P
Also, the characters had so much visual character in 7. Though very lowpoly it was absolutely beautiful.
Dreamcast had quite a few cool games (Rez, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone something something), but the controller sucked ass!
Also, where Chrono Trigger is mentioned must follow the name of The Secret of Mana. Or so I'm told.
Mrinterface wrote:Bubble Bobble
*bows*
How could I not think of that immediately..
Also Puzzle Bobble.
Grond wrote:And the N64 is still kind of underrated. There were seriously great games on it.
I still think it's way overrated... granted I never personally had one, but that controller alone.... :roll:
PSX<<<N64 anytime for me.
Maarten wrote:Theres just some honest simple charm to vintage games that the more modern ones lack for some reason.
That does tend to be the case a lot.. But exceptions do exist, see Final Fantasy Tactics for instance.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 12:53

The dreamcast only failed because Sony lied about the capabilities of the PS2.

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 13:00

The matter with N64 – besides the terrible design of the case and the controller – was that only Nintendo and Rare seemed to be able or just interested in making decent games for it. But with games like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, F-zero X are absolute masterpieces. It is true, though, that those games are now outdated because of the graphics. On the other hand, as you look at Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island, you know that you're looking at something definitive, something that newer technology could not enhance anyway. That's my impression at least.

nathanscribe

12 Jun 2012, 13:07

Consoles? Pah. Gaming isn't retro unless you have to either type it in first, or wait five minutes for it to load from cassette!

I have fond memories of many Spectrum games; some of the first I ever had were the Horace games that came on the Horizons cassettes (Hungry H, H goes Skiing, H and the Spiders), Jungle Fever, Harrier Attack, Jet Pac, Manic Miner, Atic Atac... I used to type listings in from Sinclair Programs, and later Sinclair User and Your Spectrum (which became Your Sinclair), as well as Input. Still got most of 'em. Happy times.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 13:09

What about bomb jack for the spectrum. I used to watch my Dad play that for hours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb_Jack

domin8r

12 Jun 2012, 13:29

fossala wrote:Best console ever is Dreamcast. I enjoy to many different type of games to pick one.

Yeah DC is king! Too bad mine has a failing GD-Rom.. really should try to fix it. Too much awesomeness left!

CeeSA

12 Jun 2012, 13:30

MAME, C64 and AMIGA is my gaminghistory.

Track and Field, Mr. Do, Exciting Soccer, Summer- Winter- and idontknow-Games, Decathlon, Raid on BunglingBay, Defender, Galaxian, M.U.L.E., Bruce Lee, Defender of the Crown, Castle Wolfenstein, Rocket Ball, International Soccer , OnCourtTennis, Football Manager, endless more

stop, otherwise I have tears in the eyes

domin8r

12 Jun 2012, 13:34

Lately there's been a lot of indie games coming out that really have the style and appeal of the old/retro games. It eases the pain ;)

off

12 Jun 2012, 13:36

I used to get tears in my eyes when I heard the tape go 'click', and still no game on screen.. That blue screen....
Also, Paper Boy. Even though it was kind of bad, it was still badass.
And Track&Field. And Summer Games. And Winter Games.
And there was this one football game on the NES I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but it had really blocky characters (almost cubemen), and you could shoot balls so hard that they lit on fire... Good times!

BattleToads, Contra, Super C, Golden Axe, Kung-Fu, Double Dragon, TMNT, DoubleDragon vs TMNT, ...
*sigh*

*edit, re below: The sound of crCLANG that that lightgun made... will never forget.
Last edited by off on 12 Jun 2012, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 13:47

I remember getting a NES with duckhunt and mario double cartrage for my 6th xmas. I was so happy, spent all day with my step-mum playing it.

Jim66

12 Jun 2012, 13:53

Couldn't agree more, I loved my dreamcast, there were so many good games.

Playing quake 3 arena on the dreamcast was my first introduction into FPS; arrrh the memories. Also, Shenmue was an awesome, I remember just getting lost in the massive environment.

NIB dreamcast keyboard anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dreamcast-Key ... 500wt_1413
Last edited by Jim66 on 12 Jun 2012, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 13:55

Shame it is just rubber dome crap.

Jim66

12 Jun 2012, 14:01

Hahahaha, I had forgotten all about "the typing of the dead" game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Typing_of_the_Dead

If you google the title the first link contains the ISO download.

off

12 Jun 2012, 14:21

Apparently the vault has opened, more memories keep pouring out..
GOLD right here:
*Bio Menace
*Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3 D (and special mention, the Penthouse mod for Duke3_D :D)
*Scorched Earth (when you see it, you'll realize it fathered Worms; and that you've probably played it)
*DUNE II (started all the RTS wargames; and with awesome sounds to boot)

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 14:29

One of the most rewarding moments in video game history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_34_2YNteGE

domin8r

12 Jun 2012, 14:35

Anyone remember Knightmare on the MSX?

It was epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d3v-9fopC4 :D

off

12 Jun 2012, 15:29

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 18:45

Typing of the Dead!

I''m still waiting for Age of Empires for the iPad.

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 18:56

Hey, what's the white tenkeyless keyboard covered in blood on the cd?

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 19:03

Not sure...

but could be...

captain

12 Jun 2012, 19:04

We spent too many hours typing in Lunar Lander from Byte Magazine into a Commodore PET, and playing Lemonade Stand on Apple][s. Lollipop Chainsaw is a great take on the old school Karate games, and they have a new twist on it coming out this year for PieceofShit3. Y'all will appreciate this video more than the game play ones though ;-)

gorram youtube BBS tagging rules. I can never figure out the syntax. (Thanks brother ripster!)
Not sure...<br /><br />but could be...<br />Image
The one pictured on the CD looks more curved.
Last edited by captain on 12 Jun 2012, 19:08, edited 2 times in total.

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 19:06

Would Be Deleted If I Could Since Captain Figured Out Video Embedding SO Instead Put A Duck Pic.
Last edited by ripster on 13 Jun 2012, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Grond

12 Jun 2012, 20:43

Any Earthbound fan? That was another fine game I could only play on emulators. Very nice.

Daniel Beaver

13 Jun 2012, 18:02

ripster wrote:Typing of the Dead!

I only have the PC version. I should track down a Dreamcast keyboard and suffer, like G did.

Return to “Off-topic”