Who cycles?

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 10:26

I was wondering if there are any other cyclists in here? I cycle to work 20 miles a day every day as I don't drive. I also do around 50 miles on days off.
My main bike at the moment is a genesis equilibrium.
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... m-10/specs

I can't be the only one on here that rides.

ped

12 Jun 2012, 10:33

Haha, I don't but am thinking of doing it. I was am going to go dig out my old bike from the garage after I'm done with my exams. :P

Nice bike, by the way. OMG, the prices! :shock:
Last edited by ped on 12 Jun 2012, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 10:34

London doesn't sound like one of the best places to ride. At least there isn't all the hills up there like there is down here in Cornwall.

ped

12 Jun 2012, 10:35

I don't quite live 'in' London. :P It's quite hilly where I live too. Anyway, which Genesis do you own? 00, 10 or 20? Also, 3200GBP for a bike... :| They all look the same to me... Though with that said, most people probably think all keyboards look/are the same. So I guess I can't really talk. :shock:
Last edited by ped on 12 Jun 2012, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

Maarten

12 Jun 2012, 10:39

When it comes to cycling to work/to the shops im the laziest cyclist ever;

I just dont like arriving at work all sweaty and stuff.. My hobby bike is a mountain-bike on slicks.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 10:40

ped wrote:Nice bike, by the way. OMG, the prices! :shock:
It IS my trasport. I need something that won't break after 1000 miles. It is still much cheaper than a car. Think about how much a car is, the car insurance (I'm 23), road tax, petrol, mot.

I'm looking at getting the same frame but in titanium next year (around 1500). But anything of that value will take quite a while for me to save up.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 10:40

Maarten wrote:I just dont like arriving at work all sweaty and stuff..
I agree, I am fortunate to have showers at my work.

ped

12 Jun 2012, 10:43

I agree, the car insurance alone is a lot more than 1000GBP. (I'm 19!) So, no car for me.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 10:45

ped wrote:I agree, the car insurance alone is a lot more than 1000GBP. (I'm 19!) So, no car for me.
It doesn't get better. Last time I checked for a cheap banger I was looking at around 1400gbp (22 when I checked).

dirge

12 Jun 2012, 10:48

Far too dangerous around here, idiots on the road make it just too risky.

Would be great if everyone did it, if petrol keeps going the way it is....

Maarten

12 Jun 2012, 11:02

Luckily insurance is a bit cheaper here in the Netherlands than in the UK (i got 2 cars and 3 motorcycles atm) but still, petrol prices are kinda crazy atm so cycling is a great alternative.

And having showers at work is great and all, but if you have to start early (early as in 4:45 AM on my previous job) i have to take a cold shower at home anyways to wake up.... and if i then also have to take a shower at work it'll all just take too bloody long.

Mrinterface

12 Jun 2012, 11:07

I'm using my bike to go to work when my wife has our family car.... It's about 30 km round-trip.

But then Holland is really geared towards bikers.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 11:42

Mrinterface wrote:But then Holland is really geared towards bikers.
I enjoy the hills round here. I get over 40mph going down some of them!

yakill

12 Jun 2012, 11:45

I used to cycle to the university every morning, but my locked bike was stolen from the locked basement.
Strange thing is it, was a 80 year old bike with a bike lock behind 2 locked doors, whereas my girlfriends newerbike is still standing happily outside locked with just a cheap bike lock.

Maarten

12 Jun 2012, 11:58

Mrinterface wrote:But then Holland is really geared towards bikers.
It kinda is yeah, the city i had to go through for my previous job had a really nice cycling-only road network that did not share any intersections with regular roads (it would go under 'actual' roads where needed)... so you could really keep your speed up without being bothered. Its brilliant.

Ive also lived in the center of the Hague tho... thats not as biker friendly but still not as bad as for example London.

itlnstln

12 Jun 2012, 13:16

I ride my bike to and from work a few times per week and ride to anywhere I want to go in the near vicinity (downtown San Antonio). The unfortunate thing is that we don't have a grocery store in the downtown area, so I need to drive frequently. It's also kind of a hassle biking to work as I need to take a backpack of clothes, shower, etc. If my closet were at work, it would be a lot better.

That, and it's fucking hot right now. 100+ F yesterday.

GeorgeStorm

12 Jun 2012, 13:33

I cycled to my work placement last summer, was around 8miles each way, used to cycle all around uni, but since moving in with friends on the same course, we just walk together.
I'm hoping to get back into cycling over the summer, am tempted to try and find someone wanting a mountain/dirt jump style bike so I can get a road bike, since while I enjoy off road stuff, 90%+ of my riding is done on roads.

Findecanor

12 Jun 2012, 15:25

I cycle short distances in the summer time. I try to take a ride at least once a week. A couple of years ago I used to ride the bike to/from work a few times a week in the summer (40 mins one way). I may do it if I can go on bike lanes or through a park; I try to avoid biking in the midst of car traffic. I have a Crescent "city bike".

rodtang

12 Jun 2012, 15:35

I used to bike a lot until last year but my chain broke last winter (gotta love those studded tires) and I just replaced it yesterday and when I stops raining I'll fix my gears as they're all wonky.

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 16:24

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Jun 2012, 17:57

I cycle almost everyday. Nothing of that pussy American shit of hipster bikes more expensive than a small car, rotting away in the garage, next to the expensive guitar. There is no parking space in the Randstad, except for the highways.

Ascaii
The Beard

12 Jun 2012, 18:04

I cycle to uni every day, about 14km each way. I ride a vintage BCA Azurro racing bike that Ive been continually updating and upgrading for the past years, whenever I have cash. Optically, it still looks funky and old...the reason it hasn't been stolen yet^^. It's intentional.

Sadly, the bike has been at the shop for the past 2 months following an accident with a shiny, new, black BMW (his fault)...insurance and repairs take forever in summer. Worst part is, I missed training for the Berlin Velothon, so I didn't register for it this year. Hopefully I can ride next year.

Does anyone drive a one-speed? I am currently considering modifying the bike since I usually drive that way anyways.
Could use some first hand input.
Last edited by Ascaii on 13 Apr 2015, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 18:09

If you get a one speed get BRAKES!

Or you WILL be a Fixie Hipster!
The irony here is the store name:
http://www.labrakeless.com/
Last edited by ripster on 12 Jun 2012, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 18:15

I have just sold my old backup bike (carreara virtuoso) and over the next week or so will be buying a fixie bike, just to have a play with.

Ascaii
The Beard

12 Jun 2012, 18:21

fossala wrote:I have just sold my old backup bike (carreara virtuoso) and over the next week or so will be buying a fixie bike, just to have a play with.
Cool, please let me know what you think of the fixie.

Peter

12 Jun 2012, 19:08

I don't even hold a drivers-license !
Being from Denmark, what's the bloody point ?
A car is taxed so it costs 3 times more than everywhere else,
parking is 'privatized' and also costs you and arm and and leg .
I've covered most of my transportation-needs on two wheels since I was 7 ..
The money saved on car-payment, insurance, parking etc etc can EASILY cover the expense of
a professional driver when it's really needed.. for pianos and shit :)

BTW ..
This guy was ROBBED !
KYLLINGEN.jpg
KYLLINGEN.jpg (989.87 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
I know why he went off to Mexico and it wasn't to do EPO..
Bjarne Riis however, his best defence was 'I've never tested positive' !

kint

12 Jun 2012, 21:41

fossala wrote:...My main bike at the moment is a genesis equilibrium.....
nice bike.

Hi, I'm kint and I do collect bicycles.... :oops: (but no keyboards ! :o )
yakill wrote:...Strange thing is it, was a 80 year old bike with a bike lock behind 2 locked doors, whereas my girlfriends newerbike is still standing happily outside locked with just a cheap bike lock.
what would you rather steal, an IBM SSK from a locked drawer or a shiny new Logitech G15 from the coworkers desk ? ;)
Ascaii wrote:...Does anyone drive a one-speed? I am currently considering modifying the bike since I usually drive that way anyways. Could use some first hand input.
yep, all my commuting is with a singlespeed for years now, makes fun. Have done occasional mountainbiking with a sisp too, but have never been that fit to make this much fun... But that is some sort of global goal.
Never owned a fixie though. Can't stand hipsters, love my freewheel. If you need special input please specify, be glad to help :)
Peter wrote:...I know why he went off to Mexico and it wasn't to do EPO..
Bjarne Riis however, his best defence was 'I've never tested positive' !
Imo pro Riders are divided in three categories,
the ones tested positive, the ones never been tested positive and the ones never been tested.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 21:48

Anyone used brooks saddles? Are they worth it?

ripster

12 Jun 2012, 21:51

Yep, in my link above. Love em.

Here, I'll go dig up a link (Love how this forum doesn't mark edits until next post appears)

don't even have to type brb..
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2662 ... post509717

Fucking broken attachments.
http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?atta ... 1329319665

the other pic shows how well it holds up but might offend some here seeing my butt print.

IF I were to do it again I would have gotten another Team Pro.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jun 2012, 23:29

I'm looking at getting a team pro. Tempted to buy the matching handlebar tape...

Return to “Off-topic”