Raspberry pi

nathanscribe

01 Jun 2012, 18:41

Well, it works! I was going to take a photo, but the camera battery's dead. Preparing a bootable SD card was no problem (I chose the Debian install but the Pi downloads page has others), it powers just fine from a Belkin 1A USB wall charger, and the KBC Poker looks quite happy sitting alongside it too. I need to change the layout if I'm keeping the Poker with it, which looks like it can be done from command line, so I'll give that a go later (Pi expects UK keyboard entry by default).

startx gives a windowed interface, which is a little sluggish by contemporary standards, but better than the struggling networked PCs at work...

nathanscribe

01 Jun 2012, 22:29

Typing this using my Raspi... screen resolution too blocky, but will sort shortly - can select HDMI mode in command line, apparently. Yay!

Maarten

01 Jun 2012, 23:24

STOP MAKING ME MORE JEALOUS!

no really.... please stop its not nice ;)

ripster

02 Jun 2012, 01:42

This thread needs more Pics.

smknjoe

03 Jun 2012, 00:43

IMAG0378.jpg
IMAG0378.jpg (664.59 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
IMAG0374.jpg
IMAG0374.jpg (723.9 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
Here are some pics...I also have to comment on how silly it is that they are locking all threads about the Ripster over at GH. They don't even want to talk about it!

smknjoe

03 Jun 2012, 01:14

nathanscribe wrote:Well, it works! I was going to take a photo, but the camera battery's dead. Preparing a bootable SD card was no problem (I chose the Debian install but the Pi downloads page has others), it powers just fine from a Belkin 1A USB wall charger, and the KBC Poker looks quite happy sitting alongside it too. I need to change the layout if I'm keeping the Poker with it, which looks like it can be done from command line, so I'll give that a go later (Pi expects UK keyboard entry by default).

startx gives a windowed interface, which is a little sluggish by contemporary standards, but better than the struggling networked PCs at work...
It's definitely slower by contemporary standards. Even though it boots up and seems ok I would suggest testing the power supply while your Pi is in use using this method: http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware#Power Scroll down to where it says "How Can I tell if the power supply is inadequate?" I'm using a USB charger for HTC rated at 5v 1A and it really only puts out 4.76v and 700-800mA when I test it using this method.

I had a BT dongle plugged in plus the Ethernet and it got VERY slow. Rebooted and it went ape shit. Unplugged the BT and it was fine.

captain

03 Jun 2012, 07:37

smknjoe wrote:
IMAG0378.jpg
IMAG0374.jpg
Here are some pics...I also have to comment on how silly it is that they are locking all threads about the Ripster over at GH. They don't even want to talk about it!
Thanks for the picture. That little thing looks great! I wish I'd made the cut. I think I was on the second waiting list. Oh well.

Seriously. I think iMav lost it when he handed the reigns to the 12-year-olds. Oh well.

Any idea when there will be more pie for the rest of us poor bastards?

REVENGE

03 Jun 2012, 10:27

captain wrote:Any idea when there will be more pie for the rest of us poor bastards?
Good luck getting some if you didn't sign up at RS or Newark during the first week. I see order CODES going for $50+ on eBay right now.

Where's that supply and demand graph when you need it?

nathanscribe

03 Jun 2012, 11:01

smknjoe wrote:I'm using a USB charger for HTC rated at 5v 1A and it really only puts out 4.76v and 700-800mA when I test it using this method.
From what I read, 4.76V would be within tolerance (+/- 5%) and that current measurement means the Pi is only drawing 700-800mA as that is all it requires. If you add something hungry onto the Pi, it would draw more current. So it looks like you're OK.

nathanscribe

03 Jun 2012, 15:29

Mmm Pi.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jun 2012, 15:35

No winners until someone manages to show the Pi running deskthority.

nathanscribe

03 Jun 2012, 16:39

Still messing with the HMDI modes, so screen dimensions are a bit here & there. :D

smknjoe

04 Jun 2012, 02:21

Snap! You beat me to it. Try turning overscan on http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Display Nevermind that. It doesn't look like an overscan/underscan problem. Continue on...

...as for ordering one...IDK, they are shipping like crazy now. I would guess a 6-8 week wait. I placed my orders over the first 2-3 days and got my RS code on 5-11. Newark shipped 5-29 and 6-2 (I ordered 3 from them at separate times just trying to make sure my order got through.)

smknjoe

04 Jun 2012, 02:55

nathanscribe wrote:
smknjoe wrote:I'm using a USB charger for HTC rated at 5v 1A and it really only puts out 4.76v and 700-800mA when I test it using this method.
From what I read, 4.76V would be within tolerance (+/- 5%) and that current measurement means the Pi is only drawing 700-800mA as that is all it requires. If you add something hungry onto the Pi, it would draw more current. So it looks like you're OK.
That's with nothing plugged in but power. It actually drops down to 4.73 and peaks at 4.76 and the Pi is actually pulling about 300mA. Depending on which combination of KB, mouse, USB hub (powered), and Ethernet it bricks on me or is solid as rock. I think lots of people are going to run into power problems whether they relize it or not. I'm going to have to get a new PS myself as all of mine are these HTC chargers.

Good luck with yours. What are your plans for it?

nathanscribe

04 Jun 2012, 10:43

The reason for the different displays is that I was trying out the various modes - if you don't have one already, create a /boot/config.txt file containing something like

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=1
as default, then once you're running, type

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA
to see what your screen supports.
Change the config.txt file accordingly. Ignore me if you know all this. 8-)

As for what I'll do with it, I'm going to dabble for a while - get familiar with the command line, learn Python, write simple games and utilities like I used to for the Spectrum... no specific aim yet except to have fun and learn something. You?

smknjoe

05 Jun 2012, 07:17

I had to create a config file and turn overscan on to get mine to fill the screen when I first got it.

I had originally planned on testing the device as a thin client for terminal servers, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also installed xbmc on there to see how it was a HTPC but it was too flaky. So far, I think it's bet suited as a server. With no GUI it's very stable. Also might try setting it up as a mobile network testing device.

A new power supply is a must before I dive in much deeper.

Maarten

05 Jun 2012, 09:10

Oh darn, a power supply i got (5v 3A switching adapter from some D-Link network hub) but i just need my PI!!!

smknjoe

09 Jun 2012, 01:37

Did you get your Pi yet?

I've been using a Cyberpower USB hub to power and expand my Pi(s). Can't remember what my measurements showed exactly, but they were between 4.8-5.15v. Much better than what my HTC chargers were putting out.

didja

09 Jun 2012, 04:20

smknjoe wrote:Did you get your Pi yet?

I've been using a Cyberpower USB hub to power and expand my Pi(s). Can't remember what my measurements showed exactly, but they were between 4.8-5.15v. Much better than what my HTC chargers were putting out.
The Cyberpower USB hubs are awesome if you need a real powered hub with proper output. Or if you don't since you can unplug them and they'll work as a passive hub.

smknjoe

09 Jun 2012, 23:05

This is the first one I've had and I like it. I've had a couple of Belkin in the past and they were always a little flaky and after testing the power on one I saw it was only putting out 3 volts!

I've used CyberPower Professional UPSs for years and they are high quality as well.

ripster

09 Jun 2012, 23:10

CyberPower better than TrippLite for sure! It was causing the oddest errors!
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3040 ... post586221

I'll have to try their USB hubs.

smknjoe

09 Jun 2012, 23:26

I hope DT is treating you well Rip. GH is boring as hell now...and did they delete some other member forums besides yours? It seems like something else is missing. Maybe you just had such a massive "presence" that it felt like there were more member subforums!

ripster

09 Jun 2012, 23:31

ItlnStln deleted all his SUBFORUM posts.

He always was a fucking radical!

I would simply be happy if all my posts weren't slowly being deleted or closed to view. I mean I've heard of vultures picking the bones clean but was hoping for SOME Ripster vestiges other than the stolen wiki content.

However the Dude Abides! Just not at GH!

And to get back on topic I bought a Marionberry Pie at Whole Foods last night. Delicious!

Maarten

14 Jun 2012, 12:01

ped

14 Jun 2012, 22:19

For fuck's sake, I hate people like that.

fossala
Elite +1

14 Jun 2012, 22:25

This is the reason I left GH.

Maarten

14 Jun 2012, 22:39

fossala wrote:This is the reason I left GH.
Thats what ripster said :lol:

fossala
Elite +1

14 Jun 2012, 23:19

I quit, he got banned.

ripster

15 Jun 2012, 00:57

fossala
Elite +1

15 Jun 2012, 09:42

OK, didn't see that because I don't go on there. :)

Return to “Off-topic”