Topre 10th Anniversary Plans: Replacement Keycaps & more

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2011, 07:27

topre_lownoise.JPG
topre_lownoise.JPG (18.41 KiB) Viewed 23032 times
Today Topre announced that they are planning to release a new 108 key (Japanese JIS layout) model of the Realforce in the modified low-noise version, along with various replacement keycaps. These items will be released in celebration of the 10th Realforce anniversary. The release is expected in early April 2011.

After the release of the low-noise line tenkeyless models last year, these will be the first full-sized keyboards to use the new, more silent keyswitches. The low-noise line is mainly aimed at customers who find it required to use a virtually silent keyboard in environments such as a public library or office.

In addition to the low-noise models, extra keycap sets will be released in 5 special colors, allowing for customization of your realforce keyboard. The replacement keycaps will be released in the following color variants:

SA0100KT1: white
SA0100KT2: sky-blue
SA0100KT3: red
SA0100KT4: yellow
SA0100KT5: orange

The keycaps will include all 108 keys used in the standard full-size Japanese JIS layout.

News via Topre press release and additional information by hasu

calavera

06 Mar 2011, 08:29

Why do I get this feeling that these replacement keycaps will cost an arm and a leg. :P

woody
Count Troller

06 Mar 2011, 11:28

sixty wrote:After the release of the low-noise line tenkeyless models last year, these will be the first full-sized keyboards to use the new, more silent keyswitches.
I must've missed the "low-noise" models so far. Does this mean new rubber mats or modified plungers?

And .. switches in Topre? More like sensors.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2011, 22:36

woody wrote:
sixty wrote:After the release of the low-noise line tenkeyless models last year, these will be the first full-sized keyboards to use the new, more silent keyswitches.
I must've missed the "low-noise" models so far. Does this mean new rubber mats or modified plungers?

And .. switches in Topre? More like sensors.
They added some type of foam ring around the plunger, apparently reduced noise by quite a bit. I once mailed Topre about it, here is what they wrote as PDF attached:

duq

06 Mar 2011, 23:44

calavera wrote:Why do I get this feeling that these replacement keycaps will cost an arm and a leg. :P

+1 to the above sentiment. The topre keys, though, feel so damn nice though...

Culinia

07 Mar 2011, 00:21

Can you get colemak replacement keycaps for topre?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Mar 2011, 00:22

Nope. They do offer entirely custom keycaps, but MOQ is high and the pricing is quite high too. Maybe if enough people were interested, it would be possible.

Culinia

07 Mar 2011, 00:26

sixty wrote:Nope. They do offer entirely custom keycaps, but MOQ is high and the pricing is quite high too. Maybe if enough people were interested, it would be possible.
Cool, must try and convert more people...hahaha :twisted:

Seriously though, I don't have a topre 'board (yet) but just in case -- can never be too prepared ;)

Not sure though if I would get more silent keys? I prefer to hear the keyboard...but then I'm biased (mx blue)

Nask

07 Mar 2011, 02:50

Culinia wrote:
sixty wrote:Nope. They do offer entirely custom keycaps, but MOQ is high and the pricing is quite high too. Maybe if enough people were interested, it would be possible.
Cool, must try and convert more people...hahaha :twisted:

Seriously though, I don't have a topre 'board (yet) but just in case -- can never be too prepared ;)

Not sure though if I would get more silent keys? I prefer to hear the keyboard...but then I'm biased (mx blue)
A HHKB Pro2 in silent version + one keyset could be interesting as well. =]

rouston

07 Mar 2011, 13:31

Is anything planned to be implemented on HHKB2 pro? Any communication about it?
If not : who to contact? Fujitsu? Any contact welcome as I would be interested to get a consistent information about this possibility of Silent HHKB2 pro. :roll:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Mar 2011, 17:48

rouston wrote:Is anything planned to be implemented on HHKB2 pro? Any communication about it?
If not : who to contact? Fujitsu? Any contact welcome as I would be interested to get a consistent information about this possibility of Silent HHKB2 pro. :roll:
Topre is not even allowed to share information about the HHKB, so you will have to get in contact with Fujitsu PFU directly.

rouston

07 Mar 2011, 18:22

sixty wrote:
rouston wrote:Is anything planned to be implemented on HHKB2 pro? Any communication about it?
Topre is not even allowed to share information about the HHKB, so you will have to get in contact with Fujitsu PFU directly.
You're right. But I won't manage as everything is in Japanese on there website so I had fun to try to get an email :p
(tbh I don't think that HHKB2 pro will move an inch as a keyboard but I would like to make sure).
Moreover I've seen 30g for the silenced Topre keyboards(?)

ripster

08 Mar 2011, 01:56

Celebrating 10 years of DIP Switches and Keycap Dye Innovation!

wanabe

08 Mar 2011, 02:06

that said - I'm curious to see these new keycaps.

IanM

08 Mar 2011, 02:27

I like the idea of a keyboard with less noise. Is any of this ever likely to be available in tenkeyless or compact/space saver, ISO layouts? As far as I can see, only the 'ordinary' full size Topre is available in a UK layout (via Keyboardco) and I'm guessing that blood pouring from stone is more likely than a choice of uniform or variable force versions?

rouston

08 Mar 2011, 08:05

rouston wrote:
sixty wrote:
You're right. But I won't manage as everything is in Japanese on there website so I had fun to try to get an email :p
(tbh I don't think that HHKB2 pro will move an inch as a keyboard but I would like to make sure).
Moreover I've seen 30g for the silenced Topre keyboards(?)
I've got my answer ;) :
"Thank you for your inquiry regarding Happy Hacking Keyboard.

We are examining the adoption of a new key switch system.
It is undecided when to sell it.

But we are selling HHKB Professional series only in Japan.
And we have no plan to sell HHKB Professional to foreign countries."

Last part is ambiguous but officially true ^^
So I'll wait for review of these new key switch system.

strike015

08 Mar 2011, 16:57

oh man i would love to get my hands on the sky-blue and yellow keycaps! xD
just hope they won't cost a fortune.

Crazy9000

09 Mar 2011, 22:17

And they thought I was crazy for getting a Japanese layout board. In for at least the red, maybe blue too... if I can find them xD.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

09 Mar 2011, 23:10

rouston wrote:I've got my answer ;) :

In a word:

O_o

rouston

10 Mar 2011, 00:00

daedalus wrote:
rouston wrote:I've got my answer ;) :

In a word:

O_o
any problem?

Victheslik

31 Mar 2011, 20:49

Has anyone heard any news yet about the keycaps being released or perhaps the release dates?

Crazy9000

01 Apr 2011, 01:48

Leopold was going to be the ones selling them weren't they? This seems to be where they list their key caps. I don't speak Korean so I don't know if there's a better page.

http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/list.php&ca_id=20

Check that every once in awhile if nobody posts any news about it.

noodles256

05 Apr 2011, 23:18

That looks so sick. Might be getting a topre if they come to the states

Crazy9000

07 Apr 2011, 08:49

noodles256 wrote:That looks so sick. Might be getting a topre if they come to the states
Elite Keyboards sells a few versions of the Realforce... do you mean the silent version?

The keycaps are JIS layout, so I doubt they will come to the states.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Apr 2011, 19:08

Keycaps now available.

Streetprice is 7,980 yen (~$94 USD, ~65 EUR). A very Topre-ish price.

IanM

10 Apr 2011, 19:59

sixty wrote:Streetprice is 7,980 yen (~$94 USD, ~65 EUR).
:shock:

guilleguillaume

10 Apr 2011, 22:18

I like them a lot! Topre prices are impressive of course but well is something "unique" that you can't ask SP to do for example.

I should buy some kits of differents colours. Sixty dou you know where will they be available to purchase from?

Victheslik

10 Apr 2011, 23:55

Thanks alot Sixty!

Time to purchase some, probably going for the sky blue and either orange or red.

Crazy9000

12 Apr 2011, 05:41

Hmm what's the best way to buy these?

Jimmeh

18 Apr 2011, 14:58

The sky-blue and yellow caps look sexy, but i still don't know if i can compromise the price :?

Return to “News”