any brick and mortar keyboard stores?

Sidereal

04 Jul 2012, 08:51

I'm relatively new to the keyboard enthusiast culture and my biggest gripe whenever I'm researching a new keyboard is that I only have written reviews and user videos to base my opinion on. Obviously, one of the main factors--if not the main factor-- that goes into making a new purchase is direct contact with the keyboard. I was wondering if there is any physical store where you can walk in and actually put your fingers on a keyboard to test it. It seems like a lot to ask but it's awfully difficult to make a judgement when you're contemplating spending for an HHKB and yet have nothing to go on but subjective, third-party judgments.

longweight
key-bored

04 Jul 2012, 09:33

Where are you based?

Sidereal

04 Jul 2012, 10:40

SoCal, specifically Pasadena-ish. Know any places around the area?

longweight
key-bored

04 Jul 2012, 14:06

I'm London UK so not really I am afraid!

RougeRambo

04 Jul 2012, 14:20

if you are interested in trying different switches then look into the switch bag try out
http://deskthority.net/try-before-you-b ... t2983.html

If its the actual keyboards, then im afraid your best bet is to look around your local tech shops.
you could try posting to see if anyone in your area will do a meet up or you could join the next meet when it happens.

edit - some may be willing to do a try before you buy, or a swap or even send you a kb to try out, have a look a round.

Sidereal

05 Jul 2012, 07:05

Already checked local tech shops. No luck. I think I'm going to order a KBC Poker through a friend in Singapore, though. It comes out cheaper (provided I can find someone to bring it over and save on shipping).

grave00

05 Jul 2012, 08:02

I have the same issue in Oregon. Pasadena may have a Fry's around. I"ve found you can try Corsair K60 and K90, Razer Black Widow, Coolermaster Rapid and Quickfire, Steelseries maybe, Siig, and Mionix Zibal 60 at the one here. No Topre or other top brands but obviously you get a mix of switches. Reds, Blacks, Blues, I think the Siig was an Alps.

win

05 Jul 2012, 08:08

Yes, you have a Fry's in City of Industry (and others in SoCal) and a Micro Center in the dark abyss known as Orange County (Tustin). You can at least try Cherry switches there. Don't know where you'd find a Topre switch keyboard to try in-store.

Ekaros

05 Jul 2012, 09:26

win wrote:Yes, you have a Fry's in City of Industry (and others in SoCal) and a Micro Center in the dark abyss known as Orange County (Tustin). You can at least try Cherry switches there. Don't know where you'd find a Topre switch keyboard to try in-store.
Helsinki Finland, Verkkokauppa.com sadly on variable weight...

Sidereal

05 Jul 2012, 09:41

I guess I should clarify that I'm not really interested in mechanical gaming keyboards, which is what they have at the nearest Fry's. I didn't know about Micro Center in OC and would be willing to go there but their website shows they sell mostly gaming keyboards as well (Razer, Steelseries).

off

05 Jul 2012, 10:58

grave00 wrote:on display in store: Siig
:shock:
Sidereal wrote:I guess I should clarify that I'm not really interested in mechanical gaming keyboards, which is what they have at the nearest Fry's.
Well at least you'll be able to judge a few of the differing switchtypes, which is worth a lot; just not the quality of the boards you're interested in themselves ofcourse.

grave00

05 Jul 2012, 19:41

off wrote:
grave00 wrote:on display in store: Siig
:shock:

Being a noobie, it was kinda funny as I went down the fairly huge aisle of keyboards on display pecking at them and unexpectedly hit the Siig. The rest of them were down at one end and here is this oddball in the middle of the aisle. Had to figure out what it was. Cheaper than the others. Maybe $60.

For what it's worth to sidereal, the Siig and Mionix don't really have a gaming look. Mionix if you light it up but it's black switches so probably not ideal anyway for general use.

Personally, I've never bought any keycaps to this point but I've wondered how the Corsair might look with Silver or Gold electroplated caps.

N8N

06 Jul 2012, 22:44

I seem to recall seeing quite a few keyboards on display at Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara; however, it's a good bit of travel each way and most of the keyboards were JP layout... :)

spolia_optima

06 Jul 2012, 23:31

Last time I saw Fry's had about half a dozen mechanicals to try.

off

06 Jul 2012, 23:53

nvm the siig, somehow it never dawned on me that they could still be producing new stuff. :oops:
yes, somehow I had that the unbelievable (hence the :shock:): minitouch in the store..

rodtang

07 Jul 2012, 04:08

off wrote:nvm the siig, somehow it never dawned on me that they could still be producing new stuff. :oops:
yes, somehow I had that the unbelievable (hence the :shock:): minitouch in the store..
They have some RDs, yeah.

Return to “Keyboards”