fixing a wobbly keyboard

grave00

04 Jul 2012, 21:11

So I just brought a new filco majestouch 2 to work. FILCKF15 model. It's replacing a Ducky DK1008 with the green alps. It seems like a fine keyboard. However I noticed right away that the upper right is off the surface a little with or without feet extended so I get some wobble when using keys up on that side. I can pass paper underneath that foot when it's extended. Warped? Not sure if there is a simple fix for that. I'm still pretty new to mechanicals but it's a shame to have an annoying defect on something that's not a cheapo keyboard. The cheap Dells are wobble-free.

If the keyboard is a rocking...well it's annoying.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Jul 2012, 21:16

Grab the keyboard by the left and right sides and flex in opposite directions. If you hear a snap that's probably the case snapping into place -- just don't torque too hard or the snap you hear could be plastic breaking.

grave00

04 Jul 2012, 21:36

thanks. Doesn't seem to help though. I can definitly see when loosening the screws that the right side bobs up whereas the left pretty much stays in place. I've torqued it beyond the point of safety with no results. Oh it flexed alright. No popping sounds though. I think it might be a little better since i tighted the screws as much as I could. It might benefit from some stronger screws where I don't have to worry about stripping. What do you think?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Jul 2012, 21:40

Not sure - the twist works on a lot of keyboards but I don't own a filco so I couldn't tell you about specific structural elements.

off

04 Jul 2012, 22:54

Can't help you on the Filco front; but will caution you on getting stronger screws so you don't have to worry about stripping, since you don't want to strip the plastic case itself either.
Plus, seeing how you describe it as new, it might be in order to just have it replaced (suck up those rubber domes for a little longer) instead of screwing the case and yourself. ;)

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 00:05

Yep, friction fit on the Filco. Hence the need for a butter knife especially in the front.

Give it what is technically known as The Ricercar Flex!

grave00

05 Jul 2012, 02:48

To be honest ripster, I'm not sure what you are showing me there. You want me to pry it all the way apart with a butter knife? You also seem to want me to flex it even harder. Btw, credit where credit is due. I decided since I wanted to try out some blues, I'd get a Filco based on someone's preference for the brand. I tried a Razer in the store and honestly I haven't met a switch yet I didn't like somewhat. Reds, blues, browns. All good. I don't type continously so I haven't developed a strong preference. Running greens though is a lot like the sound of holding down the tape feed on an adding machine.

By the time I left work most of the wobble seemed gone by tightening. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

For clarity, when you guys say torque, you mean grab opposite corners and move one corner away from me and one toward me right? Does it matter what way I move the problem end? Filcos are tough, I should probably just drive over it.

kalrykh

05 Jul 2012, 04:19

Torque it a bit one way, if the wobble gets better but needs more, give it a little more. If doing it one way makes it worse, then do it the other way :p like cracking the ice loose from an ice tray.

grave00

15 Jul 2012, 20:16

Probably not worth updating but keyboard is doing fine. As kalrykh says, trial and error worked it out. The only annoying thing about it is I have to get used to picking the heavy thing up when I need some work space. If I push it the feet collapse because they grip the desk pretty strong. I realize it may be less ergonomic but I seem to prefer a little tilt.

Return to “Keyboards”