Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)

dirge

30 Jun 2012, 21:45

I think another PCB only round would be a good idea.

If only to prevent phantom kit reselling at a higher price when they arrive

damorgue

30 Jun 2012, 21:52

I think I have managed to collect enough extra leftover parts from different ppl to actually make a board, at least the important parts. Keep your offers coming, they are greatly appreciated.

bpiphany

30 Jun 2012, 22:43

If we reach at least 20 PCBs for another order it makes sense to do it looking at the cost. I'm not involved in getting any plates or switches though. PCBs I could probably administer to ship off myself.

dirge

01 Jul 2012, 00:13

You know what I mean, avoiding a phantom price gouge after the first batch would be a good thing.

Also you're design is great bud, can't wait to get it on the desk.:)

scope2k

01 Jul 2012, 01:30

Great idea - I would be in with at least 2 7Bit PCBs! Wouldn't mind getting plates for them too ^^

bpiphany

01 Jul 2012, 06:36

The PCBs are all the same. That is part of why it is so simple doing more of them =) Diodes are cheap, Teensys available, and switches are at least possible to get for each and everyone as well. Plates are perhaps the trickiest part.

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 08:03

Spoiler:
[strike]i can probably get some made in raw alum. honestly though i'd rather wait to start another gb until i've at least gotten my first shipment and we know what demand looks like

this also gives us a chance to build a couple hundred phantoms and make any changes we need to for gb round 2[/strike]
i have an idea. pm incoming prins

litster

01 Jul 2012, 08:14

mkawa wrote:i have an idea. pm incoming prins
uhoh...

dirge

01 Jul 2012, 08:16

litster wrote: uhoh...
You worried there may be more metal bending on the horizon? ;p

litster

01 Jul 2012, 08:39

hehe, I will be happy when the phantom group buy is done.

dirge

01 Jul 2012, 08:58

Ill bet, you put together the biggest and best project across these communities. I'm sure there'll be some pride felt when the happy posts and pictures of builds come in.

dorkvader

01 Jul 2012, 21:33

PrinsValium wrote:The PCBs are all the same. That is part of why it is so simple doing more of them =) Diodes are cheap, Teensys available, and switches are at least possible to get for each and everyone as well. Plates are perhaps the trickiest part.
That's why I got two.

Also, I figured if I really wanted to populate both, there'd be either another PCB GB, or I'd do it like LowPoly's apple mod. Now I just need some paper and epoxy for a sweet and durable case.

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 23:23

litster wrote:
mkawa wrote:i have an idea. pm incoming prins
uhoh...
no no, nothing crazy. was just thinking that we might be able to have frontpanelexpress produce some batches in smaller but still reasonably price quantities. i'm not sure what their pricing is on stamped shapes though.

agor

05 Jul 2012, 17:44

I'm worried of getting no case :(
Would have loved that Swede alu case.. damn

dirge

05 Jul 2012, 17:48

I do hope swede shows his face, but there'll be plenty of DIY cases when the kits arrive bud :)

You just need to copy litsters cardboard case and swap that for acrylic and some screws. A bit hard work will have something pretty good.

sad_destroyer

05 Jul 2012, 22:49

This is really cool, but is it closed for sure? I want to make a keyboard pretty badly.

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 13:20

I need to have my Phantoms...

Prototyping firmware, I added a timer interrupt to handle de-bouncing. That made the scan rate increase by a factor 10. After that I did some more cleaning up and increased it by a factor 2 more. It is currently at 2kHz =) I also learned, again, that I really know very little of c-programming... So there should be plenty of room for improvements =D This is when no keys are being pressed of course. Pressing keys calls other parts of the code and takes some extra work. Measuring the scan rate in use is a lot harder. To start with you'd have to define what use and scan rate means. Now I am simply checking the frequency of the scanning with an oscilloscope connected to one of the columns.
Prototyping firmware
Prototyping firmware
phantomproto.JPG (313.12 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
New soldering tips that want to see some use...
Weller soldering tips
Weller soldering tips
tips.jpg (291.21 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Weller soldering tips close-up, 0.8x0.4mm, 1.2x0.4mm, 2.0x0.4mm, and a "gull wing" tip for drag soldering.
Weller soldering tips close-up, 0.8x0.4mm, 1.2x0.4mm, 2.0x0.4mm, and a "gull wing" tip for drag soldering.
closeup.jpg (272.33 KiB) Viewed 3890 times

7bit

06 Jul 2012, 13:29

The first one would make a great header image:
Attachments
phantomproto_980x190.JPG
phantomproto_980x190.JPG (41.72 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 13:44

I could probably have improved on image disposition, if I had known it would need to be that wide...
protowide.JPG

7bit

06 Jul 2012, 13:56

Where do you see distortion?

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 14:03

7bit wrote:Where do you see distortion?
I may have translated a Swedish term to literally, but I refer to no.1.

Edit: Actually I think composition is the term that should be used in Swedish as well.. =)

off

06 Jul 2012, 14:22

PrinsValium wrote:New soldering tips that want to see some use...
tips.jpg
How awesome, 'mini-jack' plugs for quick-swap soldering tips!

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 14:27

off wrote:How awesome, 'mini-jack' plugs for quick-swap soldering tips!
I dug deep into my wallet and got one of these. Better to be sorry once... Hot swappable tips, literally. But yes, I wonder if it would tell me something interesting if I tapped into it with a set of earphones...
WD1000M.jpg
WD1000M.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

off

06 Jul 2012, 14:35

PrinsValium wrote:I wonder if it would tell me something interesting if I tapped into it with a set of earphones...
I'd bet it'd tell you exactly how hot molten plastic feels when swooshed around in your ear canals... :shock:

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 21:17

More like this perhaps
protowide.JPG

Icarium

06 Jul 2012, 21:37

Awesome! Take it to the duck!

litster

06 Jul 2012, 21:41

A quick update. BiNiaRiS is almost done with sorting, packing, and shouldd be ready to ship out non-EU orders soon. 7bit should be sending out EU orders once he receives parts shipped from BiNiaRiS.

We are almost there. Thanks for your patience.

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 21:53

Ooops, accidentally uploaded the full resolution crop... Cleaned some speckles out of this one as well.
protowide2.JPG
Edit: Too slow =D it actually fit that header pretty nicely.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2012, 21:58

Can you reduce the file size a little bit? The earlier one I used is half the size (photoshop quality 70). Then I'll replace it with your cleaned up version.

bpiphany

06 Jul 2012, 22:07

I'll add the full resolution one, and let you do the sizing. If I reduce to 70 in GIMP it looks horrid...
protowide.JPG
protowide.JPG (716.83 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

Return to “Group buys”