I made a blog...

gimpster

16 Jul 2012, 18:30

Ordered 2

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 00:07

As a lot of people suspected, the dye sublimation process for this type of keycap colors is not going to work. (Take a look here) The Yellow color is overpowered by the green.

At this time, if I can't get the original design worked out, I'm going to go with MagicMeatballs submission for the 4:20 keycap contest. Check it out below. If you really don't like this keycap and you are part of the pre-order, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll remove you from the list, no problem =) Otherwise, I'll keep the list as-is, so no one loses their spot.

Again, thanks for all the support. It was really awesome seeing how many people were interested in my blog and keycap design. It's a shame we can't do the original, but there's still hope!

GeorgeStorm

17 Jul 2012, 00:09

You tried talking to qwerkeys about making the design?

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 00:13

GeorgeStorm wrote:You tried talking to qwerkeys about making the design?
Yup, I sure did. It didn't go so well =)

Take a look: http://deskthority.net/resources/image/4486

GeorgeStorm

17 Jul 2012, 00:18

Ah :P

Was just wondering since they can do multiple colours with ease by the looks of it

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 00:23

They can, it's just hard getting the calibration to be that accurate with the infills. When things are further spaced, like text or separated images, it should be relatively easy. Unfortunately, mine didn't make the cut =/

The_Beast

17 Jul 2012, 00:25

Why not a yellow key with the green dye subbed onto that?

ie change the colors

Sifo

17 Jul 2012, 00:29

Doesn't matter for me I'll still be taking one

gimpster

17 Jul 2012, 00:38

The_Beast wrote:Why not a yellow key with the green dye subbed onto that?

ie change the colors
+1 also, I know imsto was playing around with some 3D dye-sublimation techniques that would lend themselves well to this. Start with a bright white keycap, then dye-sub the parts to the correct color. I saw samples that had continuous patterns all the way around the keycap and down the sides.

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 00:48

I thought about inversing (apparently not a real word) the keycap colors like you guys said, but I'm iffy about playing around with dye subs right now. It just seems like their process is a little limited, and I'd prefer not to waste any more time color matching.

I do plan to reach out to imsto because I still want this keycap made somehow, someway :) So, I'm not eliminating the project just yet. But for this round, I'll likely be sticking to SP and getting MMB's design made.

lock203

17 Jul 2012, 00:55

I will still keep my order.

Also the word you were looking for is inverting.

Acanthophis

17 Jul 2012, 01:12

But still dyesubbed PBT? Or doubleshot? Either way, I keep my pre-order, I need a stoner cap :D

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 01:15

I'm updating my blog now with the details of the order.

I will be going with SP ABS doubleshot with the MMB 4:20 Keycap design (as linked above). With the simple design, I (along with many others) don't believe there should be any issues. As far as the color goes, I'm still interested in putting the keycap on a lime green, so we're going with 'VV' (face) on 'VCM' (keycap). (color reference courtesy of fssbzz: http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx24 ... b780bd.jpg)

Oh, and keycaps are significantly cheaper :)

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 01:37

Acanthophis

17 Jul 2012, 01:52

Nice!
I don't know if this is ok with you. I just did a quick mockup with the referenced colours.
Please note that the shades of green are not accurate because of the reference pic.
But it gives an idea:

DanGWanG

17 Jul 2012, 01:56

Yeah, the colors were chosen based on the referenced image. But hey, I think that looks awesome lol...

Acanthophis

17 Jul 2012, 02:02

Don't take me wrong. I like it!

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”