Topre Cluster Tester, Round 2 : Worldwide!

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
TheDuke

10 Jul 2012, 10:35

Got the cluster Yesterday :) . Who is next ? Please send me a PN with the address.

Thx

Mrinterface

10 Jul 2012, 10:40

Ah great!

Don't forget to write about your findings in this thread!

cowabunga is next. You might want to PM him because not everybody is actively watching this thread.

TheDuke

10 Jul 2012, 12:02

Sent PN.

My experiences with the topre cluster -> mixed emotions.
It felt not bad but on the other hand it felt like a better rubberdome keyboard. Not by 100% but the topre feels more like rubberdome than a cherry switch keyboard. Anyway I like my MK85 with reds most :)

cowabunga

13 Jul 2012, 18:05

I sent a pn to carter...

Concerning the switches... not really my thing :)

Carter

18 Jul 2012, 17:34

cowabunga wrote:I sent a pn to carter...

Concerning the switches... not really my thing :)
Pls contact the next person in the list, I don't want to test the topre switches anymore. Thanks.

nathanscribe

23 Jul 2012, 17:06

Any movement on this in the last week?

usopia

23 Jul 2012, 18:08

...got the switches at saturday, send it today to "zeeko".

my first impression to the Topres was: they are closer to Rubberdomes than every MX-Switch. However, in the final effect I've liked them very well, is a very fine feeling.

Thanks over again to Mrinterface for the chance for testing.
Last edited by usopia on 24 Jul 2012, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

waffl

24 Jul 2012, 13:36

Hello! Any chance of being added to the list? (Located in Germany). Thank you!

Mrinterface

24 Jul 2012, 17:14

Yes, in 2 weeks

zeeko

25 Jul 2012, 11:30

Hi,

today the tester arrived here.

First impressions are the best impressions, so here you go:

Yeah, they are similar to rubberdomes (they also contain a rubber part). But yet they are bit different. On the key without the spring, you press it and the keycap falls down to the bottom. Very similar to the feeling of some of my remote control buttons.
The switches with the spring feel of course similar but they add more friction to the travel, making the bending of the rubber while actuating a little less pronounced. The spring also adds to the feeling, that with spring the total travel is a tiny bit shorter than without spring. With spring the landing on the bottom feels less hard and the back-travel upwards is supported by the spring.

Ok, compared to my Cherry mx red keyboard this is naturally a totally different switch feeling. And compared to rubberdomes it is more solid, accurate and softer feel.

If the Topre keys where in the 45g instead of 55g version, I could really like. I'm used to the soft mx red you have to keep in mind.

I'd like to thank Mr.Interface for the opportunity and will keep testing them and then send it on to the next one.

I added the picture, low-light condition because the shutter of the window is down (against the heat).
You can barely see the lettering of the Topre, while the white lettering of the Filco in the background is more visible.

igro

25 Jul 2012, 14:58

zeeko wrote:Hi,

today the tester arrived here.

First impressions are the best impressions, so here you go:

Yeah, they are similar to rubberdomes (they also contain a rubber part). But yet they are bit different. On the key without the spring, you press it and the keycap falls down to the bottom. Very similar to the feeling of some of my remote control buttons.
The switches with the spring feel of course similar but they add more friction to the travel, making the bending of the rubber while actuating a little less pronounced. The spring also adds to the feeling, that with spring the total travel is a tiny bit shorter than without spring. With spring the landing on the bottom feels less hard and the back-travel upwards is supported by the spring.

Ok, compared to my Cherry mx red keyboard this is naturally a totally different switch feeling. And compared to rubberdomes it is more solid, accurate and softer feel.

If the Topre keys where in the 45g instead of 55g version, I could really like. I'm used to the soft mx red you have to keep in mind.

I'd like to thank Mr.Interface for the opportunity and will keep testing them and then send it on to the next one.

I added the picture, low-light condition because the shutter of the window is down (against the heat).
You can barely see the lettering of the Topre, while the white lettering of the Filco in the background is more visible.

Nice review! Can't wait for my turn.

zeeko

28 Jul 2012, 19:09

I wrote a pm to zehkul yesterday to get his address. But I didn't get an answer.
He is the next after me, correct?

Mrinterface

28 Jul 2012, 23:04

Wait a little more.....

zeeko

28 Jul 2012, 23:30

Could there be a technical problem?
I am 100% sure I wrote the PM, but there is no PM to Zehkul in my "sent message" folder in the control panel.

I will contact him again.
EDIT: Now it is in outbox

Zehkul

29 Jul 2012, 00:01

And now I got something, too. :P

Sorry, really busy right now, otherwise I would’ve contacted zeeko myself.

zeeko

30 Jul 2012, 11:49

Ok,
I brought the package with the Topre key tester to the Post Office.
It is on its way to Zehkul ;)

Zehkul

31 Jul 2012, 16:36

And I got it.

That’s the legendary topre? Rubberdome junk. :D The spring actually makes the feel more mushy, didn’t expect that. The feel really reminds me of some Dell rubberdomes. Or the sun board I just compared it to. Anyway, I like good scissors more. Even some rubberdomes. My conclusion: People who buy this should test some other rubberdomes first. I still prefer my old Keytronic, that one’s… crispier. It definitely is a good rubberdome though. Just not 300€ good, and it’s nothing unique.

The keycaps are amazing though. Really the best ones I’ve ever seen. Better than Cherry, KBC, SP, IBM, … PBT. Incredible texture.

I hope I’ll find some time tomorrow to compare them with the other rubberdomes I’ve got. :-/
Attachments
zz.jpg
zz.jpg (132.97 KiB) Viewed 20683 times

zeeko

31 Jul 2012, 16:47

Yeah they feel similar indeed.

But I just can't make up my mind, I have to test the whole keyboard before making a conclusion.

Zehkul

31 Jul 2012, 16:54

I’ve got enough rubberdome boards that are full and similar enough to get a feeling for it. I’d just need to take one of them and type on it for a while…

Is it just this test cluster or do all Topres have such a huge variance? The left switch is much heavier.

Mrinterface

31 Jul 2012, 17:58

One of the switches is a bit heavier. This is due to mounting tensions. When the first round for the tester is complete , I will have the tester mounting plate laser cut for the revision 2 topre cluster which will have no variance between switches.

Mrinterface

31 Jul 2012, 18:02

zeeko wrote:Yeah they feel similar indeed.

But I just can't make up my mind, I have to test the whole keyboard before making a conclusion.
I use a 45 grams uniform weighted white TKL realforce and no rubberdome comes near it in terms of keyfeel/durability. That said : the cherry mx are a lot more fun due to their variability ( linear, tactile, clicky )

zeeko

31 Jul 2012, 18:49

The one by "002"?
Yeah I did already, that's why I mentioned I have to test a whole keyboard. I just have to :twisted:

zeeko

31 Jul 2012, 19:02

Mrinterface

31 Jul 2012, 21:43

exactly.......

Zehkul

02 Aug 2012, 20:36

Ok after a day of testing (pressing keys while studying ^^) I like them a bit more. Not for typing though. You don’t notice anything special about Topres when you hammer your keys down like I do. Their semi-linear behaviour could be interesting for gaming, I think.

Gonna send it to Nathan tomorrow. (Seems trax doesn’t want it) Sorry for short the delay, as I said, terribly busy right now. :-/

Trent

03 Aug 2012, 11:24

So after getting my purchased switch try bag, I realize that I have absolutely no interest in Topres. Remove me from this group try please :shock:

No offense to the Topre peoples, I just think Cherry MX Red with 50A-R O-Rings feel 99% the same with a much lower cost.

longweight
key-bored

03 Aug 2012, 11:29

A full board feels very different to just one switch though, I can feel a massive difference between reds and 45g Topre.

postlapsaetia

03 Aug 2012, 19:01

Please remove me from the list as well. Thanks.

RC-1140

03 Aug 2012, 20:16

Interesting. This Topre tester seems to discourage everybody from buying Topres. I really do hope the same happens to me on trying the 002’s Realforce 104. I really don't want to have to buy such expensive keyboards. Though I really like the looks and the layout of the HHKB Professional JP. My mind always told me that Topres are only overpriced capacitive rubberdomes, but somehow I felt that so many keyboard enthusiasts couldn't be that wrong. I wonder what my opinion about Topres will be.

btw Zehkul: Nice wallpaper and choice of audio player. But you use the wrong operating system ;-)

igro

08 Aug 2012, 11:22

Any updates?

Return to “Sinklist Archive”